U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Pun'k Square View Post
Mom, I just registered after reading all the pages of comments and was surprised no one said anything about this end of the Main Line. Wynnewood/Narberth may be the solution. Firstly, I don't know why everyone one this board is pushing you to the outer reaches of the suburbs. Both towns are on the border of Philadelphia, access to the city (better restaurants, imo) is outstanding from here, either by car or regional rail (both Wynnewood and Narberth stations are very walkable). Plymouth Meeting is pretty close, I used to work in Plymouth Meeting and used surface streets to get to work and avoided the Expressway like the plague. While others were late for work, wasting gas, frustrated before work even started and getting dizzy from exhaust, I would take a 15-20 minute ride daily through the wooded hills, streams, stone bridges (very pretty with a dusting of snow) and past the over-the-top homes of Gladwyne on my low volume commute.

Even though both towns abut the city, crime is of no issue here. There is the convenience of retail and restaurants on Montgomery and Lancaster Aves, and an upscale outdoor mall with Suburban Square (including Ardmore Farmers Market). There is much more convenience than I care to type, but everything is close by. Both towns are compact, with smaller lots, and very walkable. Being a city person, I like that. Narberth also has a nifty downtown with lots of family activities, concerts, events. A real community feel. The houses are mostly 100 year old stone colonial in Wynnewood and a mix of every type of older home in Narberth. These towns have more than ample character, not at all cookie cutter. You said you want low maintenance, well the housing stock is in good shape, you can buy a 100 year old 5 bedroom/3 1/2 bath (small rooms though, not a ton of square footage, houses were more practical back then) with a very recent top to bottom remodel in the price range you had stated.

Schools are excellent, Lower Merion High School is rated one of the best public schools in the country. If your kids are young, there's a lot of kids to play with and accessible parks/playgrounds that are a walk away.

Whole Foods is in Wynnewood, Trader Joes at Suburban Square. I know you like wine, but the best place for beer is a great little brew pub (the only one on the Main Line for now, but another one is slated to open a few blocks away) that opened recently in Ardmore (Tired Hands). Their beer has won some local and national awards. I walk there from my house.

There is a Jewish presence here, but churches way outnumber synagogues. The nearby towns of Bala Cynwyd and Merion have a much larger Jewish base. BTW, all of the towns simply flow into one another here. This end of the Main Line is a whole, rather than parts.

The stereotype of the Main Liner is sometimes evident, people with $$$ mostly have a sense of entitlement, but I have to say overwhelmingly, the folks around here are very friendly.

Hope I sold you in at least putting these towns on your check list.
The OP's husband will be working in Plymouth Meeting. It makes sense to look at the western suburbs if only for the traffic concerns.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:55 PM

56 posts, read 62,815 times
Quote:
The OP is the one who seems to like what she sees in the outer western
suburbs/inner exurbs.
Yes, but she stated that a walkable town with a sense of community is preferable for her. Sorry, but as the 'burbs get farther from the city, sense of community and walkability diminish dramatically. For example, two places which she mentioned, Malvern and especially Chester Springs can't compare to Narberth in terms of community or walkable accessibility.

Quote:

The OP's husband will be working in Plymouth Meeting. It makes sense to look
at the western suburbs if only for the traffic concerns.
I worked in Plymouth Meeting for four years. My commute was unbelievably stress free from Wynnewood. Rt. 23 through Gladwyne to Fayette St. (the only traffic I encountered was at the traffic light where 476 comes in) in Conshohocken. 25 minutes tops. Only a lunatic would take the expressway from here to Plymouth Meeting during rush hour.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Yes, but she stated that a walkable town with a sense of community is preferable for her. Sorry, but as the 'burbs get farther from the city, sense of community and walkability diminish dramatically. For example, two places which she mentioned, Malvern and especially Chester Springs can't compare to Narberth in terms of community or walkable accessibility.
Sorry, but given that the OP is now gravitating toward places like Chester Springs, I think walkability and "sense of a community" have gone out the window. It may not be what you or I would want, but it's still a perfectly legitimate personal preference.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but given that the OP is now gravitating toward places like Chester
Springs, I think walkability and "sense of a community" have gone out the
window. It may not be what you or I would want, but it's still a perfectly
legitimate personal preference.
Well, if that's where she wants to be, everything she stated is a contridiction. Chester Springs has no sense of community, is not walkable, has homes with zero character (read: bland, poorly built McMansions), has no real parks or a whole lot of options for friends for her children. There is no shopping, no restaurants, you can't do anything there without a drive to civilization and her husband's job will be a long commute. No train to Phila. or NYC either, as she had mentioned.

Pretty sure that's not what she was looking for. I'm just trying to give an example of what I interpreted from her description of an ideal area, not just trying to tell her that she needs to live here because I think it's cool. Chester Springs would be the opposite of what she described.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
Well, if that's where she wants to be, everything she stated is a contridiction. Chester Springs has no sense of community, is not walkable, has homes with zero character (read: bland, poorly built McMansions), has no real parks or a whole lot of options for friends for her children. There is no shopping, no restaurants, you can't do anything there without a drive to civilization and her husband's job will be a long commute. No train to Phila. or NYC either, as she had mentioned.

Pretty sure that's not what she was looking for. I'm just trying to give an example of what I interpreted from her description of an ideal area, not just trying to tell her that she needs to live here because I think it's cool. Chester Springs would be the opposite of what she described.
Really don't have a clue what OP is looking for, at this point. I don't remember her saying "walkable", but she keeps emphasizing "family-friendly". But her example of NOT family-friendly was Oakland, so that pretty much rules out nothing (not in her price range, anyway). She has mentioned Malvern and Chester Springs several times, so for whatever reason, she thinks towns meet her needs.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Really don't have a clue what OP is looking for, at this point. I don't remember her saying "walkable", but she keeps emphasizing "family-friendly". But her example of NOT family-friendly was Oakland, so that pretty much rules out nothing (not in her price range, anyway). She has mentioned Malvern and Chester Springs several times, so for whatever reason, she thinks towns meet her needs.
Indeed.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 PM

She did mention walkability in one of her posts, or someone did, but I can't find it now.

Well, she said she would be gone for the weekend, and would be back here Monday. We'll see what's up then, I guess.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
She did mention walkability in one of her posts, or someone did, but I can't find it now.

Well, she said she would be gone for the weekend, and would be back here Monday. We'll see what's up then, I guess.
Johnny, no, she came back and checked in last week. She did say walkability was nice but not mandatory. She was still leaning toward Malvern or Chester Springs, but wanted to know if Malvern was truly considered "Main Line". I was curious as to what the hang-up is with "Main Line".

The thing is that, as Heavenwood mentioned, there are a "treasure trove" of wonderful options that meet all of the OP's needs. I'd hate to see a new resident limit themselves based on some criteria that we can't figure out.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Johnny, no, she came back and checked in last week. She did say walkability was nice but not mandatory. She was still leaning toward Malvern or Chester Springs, but wanted to know if Malvern was truly considered "Main Line". I was curious as to what the hang-up is with "Main Line".

The thing is that, as Heavenwood mentioned, there are a "treasure trove" of wonderful options that meet all of the OP's needs. I'd hate to see a new resident limit themselves based on some criteria that we can't figure out.
I don't think the OP has any hang-up with the Main Line; she was just asking a question.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I don't think the OP has any hang-up with the Main Line; she was just asking
a question.
The Main Line is pretty famous and I assume folks who have never been here associate it with being the premier/upscale/most desirable part of Philadelphia. I've never been to Marin County, but know of it being "posh". So I guess that must be her desire to live here, trading apples for apples. As we know, the Main Line is not all wealth and estates, with a mix of low to mid middle class families, especially in Narberth, Ardmore and Bryn Mawr. The region would be pretty intolerable if everyone was a "blue blood".

There is an embarrassment of great Delaware Valley neighborhoods outside of the Main Line that are mature and have convenience. I just can't see someone who is moving from a densely developed suburb as being happy in what was a field five years ago (Chester Springs) and having to drive 15 minutes to a supermarket. But maybe that's what she wants...change.

I guess she wants no part of the city, but truthfully I would recommend Chestnut Hill and sending her kids to a charter school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or