U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 PM
 
512 posts, read 876,936 times
Reputation: 346

Advertisements

Isnt it called Delaware Beaches and Jersey Shore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Reputation: 7809
OK, I am not an expert on what people say when they're going to DE beaches. But yes, for the OP, the term is "Down the Shore"....even one of the news stations has a segment called "Down at the Shore" and it looks weird.

As for Wildwood getting a bad rap, I lived there for 3 years so I speak from experience, and I stand by my comment that they may need a slow assimilation. Yes, there are lots of nice areas but there IS lots of partying (and ergo fighting). The OPs need to be apprised of the fact it's not quite Disneyland. My first Memorial Day weekend in my new condo in North Wildwood, there was a huge street fight outside. I was so scared, and disgusted that I had just bought this condo near some places that rented to "kids".

As for these nuggets being useless, the OPs are definitely moving here, so this is all good information to tuck away for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Novato
21 posts, read 45,715 times
Reputation: 12
I welcome any info about lifestyle and the area. It's all very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM
 
Location: The City
22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Reputation: 7799
Maybe just a little sense of the area (overall makes sense but still a PR piece so-to-speak)


Living on the Mainline - YouTube

On the general Philly area


Welcome to Philadelphia - YouTube

And this sort of the general extended area you may be looking

Valley Forge Edition ~ Philadelphia Visitor's Channel - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Reputation: 8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
OMG I hope the OP can find the nuggets inter-spersed in the diatribes (at this point I am speculating the OP doesn't care about the nuances of socio-economic and social percieved differences of Jersey Shore towns.
Hahaha, too funny and so true. I prefer Sea Isle anyhow because nobody can pigeonhole it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 PM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
OK, I am not an expert on what people say when they're going to DE beaches. But yes, for the OP, the term is "Down the Shore"....even one of the news stations has a segment called "Down at the Shore" and it looks weird.

As for Wildwood getting a bad rap, I lived there for 3 years so I speak from experience, and I stand by my comment that they may need a slow assimilation. Yes, there are lots of nice areas but there IS lots of partying (and ergo fighting). The OPs need to be apprised of the fact it's not quite Disneyland. My first Memorial Day weekend in my new condo in North Wildwood, there was a huge street fight outside. I was so scared, and disgusted that I had just bought this condo near some places that rented to "kids".

As for these nuggets being useless, the OPs are definitely moving here, so this is all good information to tuck away for the future.
I do agree that the city of Wildwood does a lot of rift raft around, especially on the boardwalk. However, Wildwood Crest is like night and day. My family has had a home in Crest for years, we recently purchased a new one, terrific quiet beach for families, and if you want to go the "excitement" of Wildwood, its 10 minutes away. Cape May 10 min the other way is a great place too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I do agree that the city of Wildwood does a lot of rift raft around, especially on the boardwalk. However, Wildwood Crest is like night and day. My family has had a home in Crest for years, we recently purchased a new one, terrific quiet beach for families, and if you want to go the "excitement" of Wildwood, its 10 minutes away. Cape May 10 min the other way is a great place too.
Wildwood Crest + Diamond Beach are nice little towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Novato
21 posts, read 45,715 times
Reputation: 12
Can anyone tell me more about Chester Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominmarin View Post
Can anyone tell me more about Chester Springs?
Upscale, low-density, car-dependent exurb. A bit far to commute to Plymouth Meeting IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 PM
 
10,344 posts, read 10,824,961 times
Reputation: 5571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominmarin View Post
I welcome any info about lifestyle and the area. It's all very helpful!
In terms of your real estate dollar, you may want to go up two exits on the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike (25 miles) Milford Township | Quakertown | Pottstown, PA 663

It is near the intersection of three counties. Milford Township is in Bucks County, Lower Milford Township is in Lehigh County, and Upper Hanover Township in Montgomery County. In Pennsylvania Upper and Lower refers to elevation (not North and South).

Quick comparison of the markets indicating two homes for about the same price. By travelling north you get 8 times as much land, about 25% more extra house, newer construction and extra bathrooms

$619,900 - Plymouth Meeting 19462
Bedrooms:4 beds Bathrooms:2.5 baths :3,597 sq ft Lot:0.39 acres Year Built:2001

$599,000 - Quakertown, PA 18951
Bedrooms:4 beds Bathrooms:4 baths :4,480 sq ft Lot:3.38 acres Year Built:2009

You have the advantage of your husband working quite near the turnpike entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top