U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
I'm not the one going around to every thread the other posts on and getting little digs in. I offered you a truce and you've continued to be like a gnat buzzing around me.

I am not "always talking about it". I use it as an example of exactly what doesn't belong on a site like this because it's the perfect example of just that. You could throw in 700level, CrossingBroad, or any of the other "Philly" sites that are mostly run by suburbanites pretending to be from the city as well.

Maybe learn how to "get along with others" before you go trying to say somebody else should.
At least two people found her story to be interesting ... And why is it such a big deal to you that somebody from suburban Philadelphia may be writing about Philadelphia? You don't have to live here to be familiar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2013, 05:21 PM
 
177 posts, read 306,228 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
At least two people found her story to be interesting ... And why is it such a big deal to you that somebody from suburban Philadelphia may be writing about Philadelphia? You don't have to live here to be familiar with it.
Do you not get what this site is for? It's about giving accurate information about the Philadelphia area. It's about discussing important topics like crime, the state of the city, etc, and painting the most accurate picture possible of this area. It's not about posting random stories about things that don't have anything to do with the larger city and area. Those sort of things have a place but that place isn't a site that people from outside of this area use to get an idea of the area and to ask questions.

It's a big deal that somebody from the suburbs (not suburban Philadelphia... the suburbs) is representing the city and especially if they're either claiming to be from the city or not admitting where they're really from. It's a big deal when you misrepresent somewhere or something.

Are you serious? You're the person who told me "You don't and have never lived in the city so..". Hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,PA
469 posts, read 799,892 times
Reputation: 204
I seen her before pushing her shopping cart full of bags. Nice to find out a little bit of background on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Do you not get what this site is for? It's about giving accurate information about the Philadelphia area. It's about discussing important topics like crime, the state of the city, etc, and painting the most accurate picture possible of this area. It's not about posting random stories about things that don't have anything to do with the larger city and area. Those sort of things have a place but that place isn't a site that people from outside of this area use to get an idea of the area and to ask questions.

It's a big deal that somebody from the suburbs (not suburban Philadelphia... the suburbs) is representing the city and especially if they're either claiming to be from the city or not admitting where they're really from. It's a big deal when you misrepresent somewhere or something.

Are you serious? You're the person who told me "You don't and have never lived in the city so..". Hypocrite.
Make that three people.

Anyway, she's part of the city, people (including myself) have seen her many times, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was curious about her. My girlfriend saw this story and told me about it, so I thought it'd be nice to share with the group. If it doesn't interest you, don't read it.

What part of "You don't have to be from Philly to do a story about it" don't you understand? I don't recall any journalists "claiming to be from the city" and I don't see any of them "misrepresenting." Since when do journalists and photographers have to "admit where they're really from?" That makes no sense at all. I don't care where they're from, to be honest with you. Are you saying only people from Kensington can do stories about Kensington? That's what it sounds like.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 08-18-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 PM
 
5,825 posts, read 8,529,199 times
Reputation: 6343
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1oozne View Post
Do you not get what this site is for? It's about giving accurate information about the Philadelphia area. It's about discussing important topics like crime, the state of the city, etc, and painting the most accurate picture possible of this area. It's not about posting random stories about things that don't have anything to do with the larger city and area. Those sort of things have a place but that place isn't a site that people from outside of this area use to get an idea of the area and to ask questions.

It's a big deal that somebody from the suburbs (not suburban Philadelphia... the suburbs) is representing the city and especially if they're either claiming to be from the city or not admitting where they're really from. It's a big deal when you misrepresent somewhere or something.

Are you serious? You're the person who told me "You don't and have never lived in the city so..". Hypocrite.
I happen to like her story. What about it is not an informative, accurate, and positive?


Thanks to the OP for sharing. It's nice to read about something other than crime and politics from time to time.

Who's Norman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 PM
 
20,950 posts, read 16,772,960 times
Reputation: 10270
Very interesting story. You never know. She is absolutely mentally ill though, and I wish she would come to terms with it. I hope she stays safe.

BTW....there's no reason not to share that story on here....since it is a Philadelphia forum and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I happen to like her story. What about it is not an informative, accurate, and positive?


Thanks to the OP for sharing. It's nice to read about something other than crime and politics from time to time.

Who's Norman?
Norman was a black guy who was around South Street for 40/50 years (he told me that). I believe he was born and raised in the area, but I'm not certain. He used to wear a Viking helmet and dance around acting crazy. I drank with him a few times in Mako's, he was a harmless, gentle guy. He had his issues, but he didn't strike me as completely crazy. He never asked for anything, from what I gathered.
Towards the end, he wound up on the street, living next to Jim's Steaks on Fourth. I'm sure somebody else can tell you more.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 08-18-2013 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Default Norman 7/2/11

Attached Thumbnails
The Homeless Woman of Society Hill-img_5998.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669
Nice find! I don't think that anybody rocked the Flava flav clock like That cat did he was definitely a south street icon. His passing is another reminder of the changing fabric of south street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
Nice find! I don't think that anybody rocked the Flava flav clock like That cat did he was definitely a south street icon. His passing is another reminder of the changing fabric of south street.
Thanks. I miss Mako's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top