U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 PM

21 posts, read 23,388 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, Im coming over from England in September for 9 nights and seeing the Eagles play the chargers and chiefs! Ive got my tickets sorted for both of them but had a few questions to ask you all.

1)Should i book Phillies/Flyers/76ers tickets in advance or should i be alright when i get out there?
2)Whats the best place to head too after an Eagles game for beer and atmosphere?
3)It's Always Sunny will be back on tv when i get out there, are there any bars that would show it?macs tavern?
4)Ive a got a ticket to see The Avett Brothers at The Mann Center, im staying in Center city and was wondering what the best/safest way to get to and from the gig would be?

thats all i can think of for now, cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishNFLfan View Post
Hey guys, Im coming over from England in September for 9 nights and seeing the Eagles play the chargers and chiefs! Ive got my tickets sorted for both of them but had a few questions to ask you all.

1)Should i book Phillies/Flyers/76ers tickets in advance or should i be alright when i get out there?
2)Whats the best place to head too after an Eagles game for beer and atmosphere?
3)It's Always Sunny will be back on tv when i get out there, are there any bars that would show it?macs tavern?
4)Ive a got a ticket to see The Avett Brothers at The Mann Center, im staying in Center city and was wondering what the best/safest way to get to and from the gig would be?

No problem with Phiilies or Sixers tickets at the door. Flyers get in advance if you want good seating. As far as after game there are tons of places but the Xfinity Center is right there.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:56 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
cab. best bet is getting to know the cab driver who takes you there so that you can get his phone number. tip him well and most likely he'll pick you up.

also, have a few other cab companies on speed dial

i was just there @ a reggae festival. beautiful venue!

Last edited by john_starks; 08-17-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishNFLfan View Post

Sounds like a great trip. We were at the Eagles practice today and will be a fun season. Expect to see a lot of high scoring games.

1. Phillies tix? No problem this year because they stink. Flyers and Sixers I don't think have any games that early but I could be mistaken on that. They usually get started a little later in the year.

2.Xfinity Live is across the parking lot from the stadium.

3. I would imagine Always Sunny will be shown at Macs. I believe I read that they have a second bar or are planning a second bar closer to Center City- downtown.

4. Best bet is probably take a cab to the Mann.

World Café Live on Walnut Street is a great small concert venue which usually has an excellent concert lineup. They have a Free concert every Friday at Noon.

World Café Live has a downstairs concert venue which is world class. Upstairs they also have a stage that is usually more laid back . Open mic type stuff or bands/artists just getting started. Both upstairs and downstairs facilities have fully stocked bars/restaurants.

The TLA,Trocaderro, Electric Factory,Tin Angel are 3 other music venues which usually have music just about every night.

Also the Philadelphia Union(soccer) are pretty good this year. May want to take in a Union game if they are in town.

Good luck

Old 08-17-2013, 05:15 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
3) I imagine there would be a certain irony about going to a bar to watch a show about a bar. Note that here in the States, "It's Always Sunny..." will be switching from the FX cable channel to the new FXX cable channel. (Yes, that's two X's.) It's hard to say whether a bar will carry that new station.

4) Looks like you'll be able to take the special Mann Center loop bus from Center City.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 AM

177 posts, read 306,228 times
First of all let me say that you have planned a really cool trip. People here do this to follow their favorite teams, even buying these sports packages with travel companies, but I've never heard of anybody from out of country going to a US city specifically to see a US sports team in person, and I just think it's a great idea that you've come up with here.

Honestly, you can't rely on getting tickets at the door, even when the teams stink. Your best bet is to buy tickets for each of the events at least a week ahead of when they're to happen. In fact, I'd say two weeks. Better to be prepared beforehand than to have to worry about getting your tickets there, no?

After the game I'd head to either Chickie's and Pete's or to XFinity Live, which is right in the Sports Complex parking lot where the Spectrum used to be.

I would think Mac's tavern would show it haha but if not then anywhere that has the former Fox Soccer Network, which is where FXX is going to be, would carry that channel.

As Tone mentioned, there is a loop bus to the Mann Center, and if not that then a cab would probably be preferable. One of the parts of the Mann Center really offers some beautiful skyline views so hopefully your concert will be in that part.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM

13 posts, read 21,986 times
This sounds like a great trip. Cool idea.

XFinity Live and Chickies and Petes are pretty good options for post-game festivities. A neighborhood South Philly bar seems like a better option. I am not a big bar-goer, so I can't really suggest anything.

I would recommend going to Pat's or Geno's to soak in the South Philly area. Probably not right after or before a game as lots of people have the same idea though. The cheesesteaks aren't the best, but the atmosphere is interesting to say the least. There is a brand-new bar across the street called Garage, I think, that you can bring in your cheesesteaks into and enjoy a beer. Looks like a real cool bar. I'd recommend checking out the Italian Market (the blocks north Pat's and Geno's on 9th street) if you have the time.

The Flyers play preseason games on the 16th and 17th and 24th of September. That would probably work with your schedule. You don't need to get tickets ahead of time for the preseason.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

i was just there @ a reggae festival. beautiful venue!
Me too-it was great! You will love the Mann Music Center OP.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:12 AM

21 posts, read 23,388 times
Thanks for the replies guys!

i'll get a cab to and from the mann center, sounds and looks like a great venue cant wait!

and thanks rainrock for the reccomendations of other music venues.

would love to go to a Union game but sadly its on at the same time as the Avett gig
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia