U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,255,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
That would knock out Havertown - although not necessarily nearby Haverford - off of your list. Glenside would be most likely to tick off your boxes for a preferred commute time within walking distance and under your budget.
I grew up in Havertown right by the Ardmore station and it was about 25 minutes plus a transfer at 69th st station. It wouldn't be too bad to live there with your needs, though I'm not sure if there are good places to rent near the station (I say I'm not sure because I've never looked). The downtown is ok, nothing special, but it's a nice place to raise a family and the schools are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:50 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,770,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhusky11 View Post
how about chestnut hill?
Chestnut Hill imo the best neighborhood in the region after Center City. Well worth looking into depending on school needs. If you have 3 kids in High School Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy could be a deterrent.

From what I understand the elementary and middle schools are excellent in Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy, its the high schools when you start to have problems unless you can get into a charter school.

Finding a rental home within walking distance to a train station is going to be a challenge just about anywhere in the region. Many people have to drive from their homes and park at a local train station or be dropped off at the station.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM

147 posts, read 245,781 times
the kids will probably enjoy the arboretum in chestnut hill and you will have an awesome array of local shops and restaurants on German town ave.

mainline is nice but Chestnut hill is better IMO.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:07 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,876,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Chestnut Hill imo the best neighborhood in the region after Center City. Well worth looking into depending on school needs. If you have 3 kids in High School Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy could be a deterrent.

From what I understand the elementary and middle schools are excellent in Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy, its the high schools when you start to have problems unless you can get into a charter school.

Finding a rental home within walking distance to a train station is going to be a challenge just about anywhere in the region. Many people have to drive from their homes and park at a local train station or be dropped off at the station.
As a parent, I'd personally find it very difficult to recommend the NW Phila elementary public schools as "excellent" if it's based just upon past hearsay, in light of the current Philly public schools situation.

Last edited by rotodome; 08-20-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,234,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhusky11 View Post
the kids will probably enjoy the arboretum in chestnut hill and you will have an awesome array of local shops and restaurants on German town ave.

mainline is nice but Chestnut hill is better IMO.
The Main Line (along with pretty much any desirable area along the aforementioned rail lines) wins hands down as far as public schools go, which the OP wants to utilize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia