Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,833 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am relocating with my company and am looking for suburb suggestions.

I already have Swarthmore, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Wayne, Glenside, Havertown to look at when I visit next week but does anyone have more suggestions based on the below.

Thanks

When are you moving? January 2014
Where are you coming from? UK, SE London/Kent
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Close to 30th Street Stn
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent 3 bed twin/single with space for visitors somewhere. Budget up to $3,000.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA for commute by train/taxes.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with three kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? More calm and quiet with nice downtown/restaurants

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Prefer to be close to other families in safe suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,371,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtoamerica View Post
Hi All

I am relocating with my company and am looking for suburb suggestions.

I already have Swarthmore, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Wayne, Glenside, Havertown to look at when I visit next week but does anyone have more suggestions based on the below.

Thanks

When are you moving? January 2014
Where are you coming from? UK, SE London/Kent
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Close to 30th Street Stn
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent 3 bed twin/single with space for visitors somewhere. Budget up to $3,000.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA for commute by train/taxes.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with three kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? More calm and quiet with nice downtown/restaurants

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Prefer to be close to other families in safe suburb.
With the OP's answer to the question of which state he would like to live in, I respectfully ask posters to give suggestions of areas in Pennsylvania.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,740,039 times
picky any suburb on septa's media line, paoli/thorndale line, or Amtrak's keystone corridor

Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM

8,977 posts, read 21,067,474 times
Any of the towns you suggested will be good to great. Glenside and Havertown would have the most options within your budget. As suggested, you may want to consider living near one of the stations on SEPTA's Regional Rail lines to avoid traffic and expensive parking.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM

274 posts, read 1,396,690 times
If you are checking out Swarthmore, check out Springfield and Media which are really adjacent to Swarthmore. You should have decent options in your budget in both those places. Can take the train to Phila from Springfield at the Morton station which is the stop before Swarthmore.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM

147 posts, read 282,463 times
your budget will go a bit further (more house and newer build than you find on the mainline) if you look out towards fort washington/ambler/blue bell area. you will have easy access to the Doylestone regional rail line which goes directly to suburban station downtown. schools in the area are excellent.

parking is $1 a day with monthly passes available. trip is 45 min into the city.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,164,920 times
Try Trulias housing rental site.

Add Media-Nether Providence-Upper Providence-Newtown Square.

Haverford-Narberth=Bryn Mawr-Penn Valley-Rosemont-Gulph Mills-Devon-Berwyn-Paoli-Malvern

Just about any town on the Thorndale line is a good bet.

On the Elwyn line you cant go wrong with Media-Elwyn-Rose Valley-Wallingford-Swarthmore.

Good luck

Old 08-20-2013, 03:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,833 times
Thanks everyone. I will drive around all areas to get a feel and make a decision based on available rentals nearer the time. I am trying to keep train time under 30 mins with a walk to the station if possible.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 21,067,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtoamerica View Post
Thanks everyone. I will drive around all areas to get a feel and make a decision based on available rentals nearer the time. I am trying to keep train time under 30 mins with a walk to the station if possible.
That would knock out Havertown - although not necessarily nearby Haverford - off of your list. Glenside would be most likely to tick off your boxes for a preferred commute time within walking distance and under your budget.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM

147 posts, read 282,463 times
how about chestnut hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia