U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Does anybody know SEPTA's stated reason for not letting those booth attendants give change - you know, like every other cashier on planet Earth?
Against union regulations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM

186 posts, read 111,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Does anybody know SEPTA's stated reason for not letting those booth attendants give change - you know, like every other cashier on planet Earth?
Most of it is cash-on-hand issues. There are 60 or so subway stations in the city and having EVERY BOOTH equipped with proper change on a daily basis would be a lot of work. All of the high-traffic transfer stations (30th, Suburban, Market East, and i think 8th st.) do have cash booths with change.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM

7,085 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Most of it is cash-on-hand issues. There are 60 or so subway stations in the city and having EVERY BOOTH equipped with proper change on a daily basis would be a lot of work. All of the high-traffic transfer stations (30th, Suburban, Market East, and i think 8th st.) do have cash booths with change.
I'm sorry, but if the excuse for booth attendants not having sufficient change to provide cash service is because it is a lot of work, I find that a pitiful reason. I have traveled extensively and I don't recall encountering empty ticket booth or attendants in other cities telling me they can't sell tokens or make change. Philadelphians have learned to adapt to this level of service, but such laziness (in other words: not wanting to do a lot of work) has inconvenienced all of us who live here, and I can imagine has confounded more than one visitor.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM

186 posts, read 111,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I'm sorry, but if the excuse for booth attendants not having sufficient change to provide cash service is because it is a lot of work, I find that a pitiful reason. I have traveled extensively and I don't recall encountering empty ticket booth or attendants in other cities telling me they can't sell tokens or make change. Philadelphians have learned to adapt to this level of service, but such laziness (in other words: not wanting to do a lot of work) has inconvenienced all of us who live here, and I can imagine has confounded more than one visitor.
It's not necessarily laziness, it's practicality. I'm not sure the exact percentage, but a massive majority of riders use weekly/monthly passes or pre-purchased tokens. In other words, a very small number passengers are coming through with cash needing exact change.

Again, you'll only need to worry about this nuisance for a few more months!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Quote:
Although to be fair, that's exactly what is done in other even larger subway systems.

As illustrated in the Columbia Pictures feature film Money Train, starring Wesley Snipes

Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Quote:
That may be the reason, but it's still indicative of a terrible level of customer service.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,051,801 times
Wait, have any of you every tried to get anything from a booth attendant in NYC?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Wait, have any of you every tried to get anything from a booth attendant in NYC?
Every subway stop in the MTA has functioning machines where you can purchase fares, so I can't even remember the last time I asked an attendant to give me change.
The only things I've asked an MTA booth attendant to do in several years have been to: 1. open the special access gate so I could get a stroller or large item in, 2. combine the remaining fares from multiple metrocards onto a single card, or 3. let me in because there was some sort of gate malfuction and my card didn't read correctly. I've never gotten a hard time about any of these requests.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Every subway stop in the MTA has functioning machines where you can purchase fares, so I can't even remember the last time I asked an attendant to give me change.
The only things I've asked an MTA booth attendant to do in several years have been to: 1. open the special access gate so I could get a stroller or large item in, 2. combine the remaining fares from multiple metrocards onto a single card, or 3. let me in because there was some sort of gate malfuction and my card didn't read correctly. I've never gotten a hard time about any of these requests.
Not to derail this but I do find people in services/interfacing jobs to be particularly onery relative to nearly any other city. I hope this mentality chnages and not all are, just more noticable to me

Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,024,086 times
I must say the guy in the booth was very polite and respectful when he explained he didn't have tokens to sell, even for exact change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia