U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times

Advertisements

Manayunk is a nice place to grab lunch or dinner but doesn't sound like a good fit for you.

Chestnut Hill was ranked by Forbes as the #3 rated urban enclave neighborhood in the usa last year. Behind Beverly Hills and Park Slope NYC.

Its an awesome neighborhood. West Mount Airy is not far behind. Cant go wrong with any of those choices imo but I would focus on Chestnut Hill personally.

Do your homework on the taxes because Philly recently did an overhaul on property taxes. Some places taxes soared other areas saw a drop.Not sure where Chestnut Hill fared , try getting in contact with a real estate agent to help you.

Center City is definitely worth checking into as mentioned previously . There is an amazing renaissance going on there and new housing gets a 10 year tax abatement. Lot more hustle and bustle than a place like Chestnut Hill.

Good luck

Last edited by rainrock; 08-23-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:20 PM

512 posts, read 877,361 times
Yeah ... Chestnut hill seems better if you want land with that house... Whenever i go there it seems very suburb in the city, a very cosmopolitan suburb. very family focused or housewife focused. Thats my impression.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 PM

11 posts, read 13,948 times
I was born and raised in south philly and now in live in fort lauderdale, philadelphia was a dump thats why I moved.You may want to consider south jersey around marlton and the surrounding areas and cherry hill also.
Downtown philly has changed and the city pulled itself out of the gutter over the last 30 years,around south street and the rittenhouse square area is really very nice and safe now.
Society hill is like living back in the days when ben franklin and tom jefferson lived there but does not have single family homes like you want thats why I mentioned new jersey right across the bf bridge.
good luck

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 PM

7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south_fl View Post
I was born and raised in south philly and now in live in fort lauderdale, philadelphia was a dump thats why I moved.You may want to consider south jersey around marlton and the surrounding areas and cherry hill also.
Downtown philly has changed and the city pulled itself out of the gutter over the last 30 years,around south street and the rittenhouse square area is really very nice and safe now.
Society hill is like living back in the days when ben franklin and tom jefferson lived there but does not have single family homes like you want thats why I mentioned new jersey right across the bf bridge.
good luck
Marlton and Cherry Hill are the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for. Collingswood and the Haddons would work, but the OP seems keen on living in the city.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 AM

27,287 posts, read 25,883,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
I had heard Manayunk is fun, but I didnt see any houses there on a real estate search, mostly rowhomes. Im looking for a single family home on about .5 of an acre ish. Am I wrong?
Half of an acre? That's a lot of land in the city. You can find single family homes with a nice yard in Philly, but the property isn't going to be that large.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:38 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,955 times
Overbrook Farms does have some beautiful, huge homes with decent sized properties. When I was searching, I found that the homes here were a bit more affordable than Chestnut Hill and W. Mount Airy. The latter two areas, however, have more going on in their immediate vicinity shop/ restaurant / bar-wise.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Quote:
good luck
Chestnut Hill, West Mount Airy, East Falls,Overbrook Farms do have single family homes though and all are amazing neighborhoods .

Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 AM

175 posts, read 241,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Half of an acre? That's a lot of land in the city. You can find single family homes with a nice yard in Philly, but the property isn't going to be that large.

There were lots of properties in the neighborhoods I mentioned with much more than a half acre. And they are in Philly city limits. Again, am i getting something wrong here?
In Decemder when I come visit again I am planning on not only checking out these four neighborhoods but I will look elsewhere as per suggestions as I dont have a ton of time and locals know where to direct me to look much better than im sure websites would

Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,955 times
If you want a single with property within the city, you've probably identified your best options. These areas do have a sort of suburban feel to them - which is why folks are wondering why you don't also look at the neighboring burbs.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 PM

512 posts, read 877,361 times
Quote:
good luck
Stick to the Florida forum because you belong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or