U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,016 times

Advertisements

I am planning on going to the Liacouras Center for a meeting on Labor Day, and will be taking the Patco speed line from NJ.

What would be the best way to get from 16th and Locust to the Liacouras Center using public transit?

Also, would you consider it safe for a lone female to take public transit in this area of the city? This would be arriving at about 5:30 pm and leaving the center at about 7:00/7:30.

I could drive in, but I'm worried about parking - it's for the PFT meeting, and there will be thousands of people coming.

Thanks so much for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 8,016 times
By the way, I forgot to mention that the Liacouras Center is at 1776 N. Broad Street

Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM

364 posts, read 619,744 times
Sure thing. From 16th and Locust I'd probably just walk to the City Hall BSL station and go north to Cecil B Moore station. When you come up the stairs, you're right across from the Liacorus Center.

Now that school's back in session that area will be overflowing with students. The station (and likely the train) will have students on it too. That's a very safe area, but it does get a little desolate in the middle of summer and winter breaks when Temple's campus is mainly just employees and summer students. Of course, standard city rules apply -- just stay aware of your surroundings.

If you do choose to drive, you won't have a problem with parking. The Liacorus garage is totally huge, and Temple has a few other paid lots on the east side of Broad which should be emptying out around 5 PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,376 times
I wouldn't take the Patco to 16th and Locust. I would get off at 13th street (13th and Locust), walk a block to Broad St (broad and locust station) and take the Broad Street Line (North) to the Cecil B. Moore station.

At that time of day, you are fine.

Driving would actually likely be quicker than public transport. And as noted above, you can park in the Liacouras garage and take the skywalk from the garage right into the center. I think Parking is now $14. You'd likely be able to find street parking for free.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:02 PM

512 posts, read 876,936 times
Yeah... take Patco. get off at 13th... sit at the front of the train (closer to 13th). Take the underground passageway to the Broad st line.. get of at Cecil. The underground passage should be fine. Dont play with your phone or check your wallet. Walk like you know what your doing and keep a steady pace. Dont stop for anyone and make sure your not followed. Use street smarts basically. I do it all the time but its easier because i m a guy.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 PM

3,485 posts, read 8,318,272 times
It should be noted the Liacouras Center is 1/2 block from the Cecil B. Moore station on the Broad Street Line. You will have to cross Broad Street above-ground when going to the Liacouras Center, but that shouldn't be a problem. (When you make your return trip on the Broad Street Line, you can enter the station on the same side of Broad Street as the Liacouras Center.)

I've gone to the Liacouras Center via public transit a few times. Even though you are female, I wouldn't too much if many other people will be attending the same event (and presumably arriving/leaving at the same time). There are a decent number of commercial retail establishments near Broad/Cecil B. Moore (a few restaurants, the Temple University bookstore), and there should be a decent amount of foot traffic around the station, even without the event traffic.

One other note - you could transfer at 8th and Market from PATCO to the Broad Street Line Spur, but I agree with the suggestion above to transfer at the 13th Street PATCO station. (Broad Street would be 14th Street in Philadelphia if it was a numbered street.)

Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
One other note - you could transfer at 8th and Market from PATCO to the Broad Street Line Spur, but I agree with the suggestion above to transfer at the 13th Street PATCO station. (Broad Street would be 14th Street in Philadelphia if it was a numbered street.)
Don't use the Broad Ridge Spur. 1) It won't be running on Labor Day, as SEPTA will be operating on a holiday schedule. and 2) The Broad Ridge Spur is an express train, and only local trains serve Cecil B Moore. Even if it was running, you'd be adding an extra transfer.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,051,801 times
I used to do this 3x per week for 2 years. As others have said, get on PATCO and board the first car on the train. The drivers always stop the front of the the train right at the bottom of the escalator. Just keep walking straight and you'll see the entrance to the subway.

It's kind of a pain when you're coming into the city from NJ because when you come up from PATCO the subway station is maybe 60 yards from the 13th St. PATCO Station but the subway station doesn't have fare gates on the Locust St. side. You have to walk up to Walnut St.

When you're coming back from Temple/Liacouras it's much easier because if you take the south facing staircase (board on the middle of the train and walk in the same direction as the train) at Walnut/Locust you can exit through the scissor gates directly to Locust and you're that same 60 yards to the PATCO fare gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
I do it all the time but its easier because i m a guy.
I don't know why people insist on perpetuating this stereotype.

Men are 35% more likely to be the victim of a violent crime.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 PM

512 posts, read 876,936 times
yeah but i dont feel like im going to be raped.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 AM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Unless I haven't been paying attention, violent sex crimes remain extremely rare occurrences on SEPTA for riders of either sex.

You're more likely to (a) have to listen to one or more panhandlers' spiels (b) experience the breakdancing kids, a far more entertaining form of hustling for money (c) get your pocket picked than you are to be raped or molested.

I use the BSL every day, btw, riding from Olney to City Hall or Walnut-Locust and back.

You should have no trouble at all with your journey on public transit in the late afternoon/early evening hours you will be traveling. On the return trip, you should be in the company of many other PFT members headed back to Cecil B. Moore station to boot. Save yourself the $10 or so parking would cost over transit. Don't forget to purchase the joint fare in New Jersey before you begin your trip. (I don't know how this works with FREEDOM Cards.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or