U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
There's four that count - Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and your 76ers.
Just because you think so, does not make it so. Pro is Pro. By the way, nationally speaking Major League Soccer average per game attendance is higher then the NHL or NBA. Of course some of that is because ticket prices are much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM

96 posts, read 211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforrester72 View Post
I'm (late 20s, single male in healthcare) also thinking of making the move from Austin to Philly. The city has always intrigued me, and I'm growing tired of Austin.

A question for the Philadelphians here, what neighborhoods would be a good fit for someone in my position? For me, I like dense, urban areas and strongly dislike the suburbs. Also, being in areas of high activity and nearby hospitals/clinics are obviously a plus.

Lastly, what neigborhoods could you define as "rough around the edges" but with plenty of character and personality? A vague question, I know. For me, Austin has a serious lack of such places.
Rough around the edges neighborhoods... (This is not the naming all dangerous neighborhood list, just the rough around the edges neighborhood with plenty of character and personality)

West Philly
-----------
Parkside (great houses)
Cobbs Creek... Look up "Cobbs Creek Automobile Suburb Historic District"

North Philly
-----------
All the houses on 33st in north philly... legendary architect but people wants to crack house great houses (Strawberry Mansion/Brewerytown)

South Philly
-----------
Newbold (great houses)

Northeast Philly
------------
Kensington (its okay, the lower section of kensington, i dont suggest the upper part, very crime/drug infested)

Northwest Philly
-------------
Germantown (great history..)

All these places have some dangerous parts in or around them so don't go there expecting alot.. but look at the houses! lol

Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,280,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Just because you think so, does not make it so. Pro is Pro. By the way, nationally speaking Major League Soccer average per game attendance is higher then the NHL or NBA. Of course some of that is because ticket prices are much lower.
Oh, it's so.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:56 PM

96 posts, read 211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcf View Post
Thank you for your advice rofl3cat. I'll probably be looking within Philadelphia, as well as the suburbs, since I don't know where I'd be working yet. What are the suburbs around there? What's the subway system like there in Philadelphia?
The "Subway" ORANGE <---Underground, Goes from South Philly Packer Park... S. Broad Street... to North Philadelphia... N. Broad Street to Fern Rock Transportation Center

Blue is West Philly -Frankford elevated train line

Orange is broad street subway

Patco is south philly - Camden - New Jersey suburbs i guest...

and regional rail lines goes to different places depending where u at and where u want to go (Inlcuding Newark, trenton, Norristown, philadelphia suburbs, etc)

AND Trolleys and buses go EVERYWHERE in philly so yeah, philly won the 2012 best transit award or something like that so yeah..

Suburbs to me and everybody else in philly (generalization) is every neighborhood north of Cottman Ave.

Rhawnhurst

Fox Chase/Burholme

Holmesburg

Bustleton

Somerton
and
Torresdale

, I'll include Bridesburg with it too..... even tho its not north of cottman ave..

Old 08-25-2013, 05:14 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,847,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcf View Post
Thank you for your advice rofl3cat. I'll probably be looking within Philadelphia, as well as the suburbs, since I don't know where I'd be working yet. What are the suburbs around there? What's the subway system like there in Philadelphia?
Continuing with what Rofl33cat provided, the Philly Area is also served by New Jersey Transit.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uxG9cZzbIL...00/NJT+map.jpg

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-25-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,919,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Indeed, he forget to mentioned the Philadelphia Union(MLS).

http://sportsun.org/wp-content/uploa...lphiaUnion.png
And the Soul
PhiladelphiaSoul.com - The Official Home of the Philadelphia Soul - Arena Football League

Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,559 times
That is true and you could also include the Wings. However arena football is composed of players that do not make the NFL or even the CFL and they as well as Lacrosse do not draw anywhere near the crowds that the MLS does. The fact that nationally the MLS does out draw the NHL and NBA in average per game attendance and does have a national TV deal, it is time we start to consider soccer as a "major" sport in this country.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:56 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,919,932 times
Yea I know but just wanted to add them for the Soul fans..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,280,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That is true and you could also include the Wings. However arena football is composed of players that do not make the NFL or even the CFL and they as well as Lacrosse do not draw anywhere near the crowds that the MLS does. The fact that nationally the MLS does out draw the NHL and NBA in average per game attendance and does have a national TV deal, it is time we start to consider soccer as a "major" sport in this country.
I don't care how much it draws, the MLS is not the best the best soccer league in the world, so it doesn't really count.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,847,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I don't care how much it draws, the MLS is not the best the best soccer league in the world, so it doesn't really count.
It does count because the MLS is the best soccer league in America and most Americans don't care about the other soccer leagues around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or