Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,376 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I just moved to PA (Elkins Park).
My husband wants to become certified as a Personal Trainer here in PA. I want him to live out that dream, if at all possible.

We're having a hard time finding out if there's a market in this area for a physically fit, mid 40's (looks 37) Personal Trainer, and what the average income would be. Would anyone know how to find this out? He's been going to the gyms around here to check things out, but the Personal Trainers are younger than him, so their perspective and outlook is different. I would love for him to be able to live out this dream, but I don't want him to study and take tests, only be told he's too old when he goes to look for jobs.

We believe there's a market for someone like him helping baby-boomers like ourselves stay in shape, we just don't know if there's a market here. He'd love to train people who want to get/stay in shape, people who may possibly feel a bit uncomfortable (intimidated) training with a younger person. (He's not into rehabilitative training, because that would take much more studying, possible a college degree.)

Census data I've checked gives us numbers, but you can't always go by that. We'd like to talk to people our age who are doing this or have done it.

Any idea/suggestions/ links to websites or mentors / local job forums would be so appreciated! Private messages would be great, too, if links aren't allowed to be posted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
My information may be slightly dated... but I used to be a member of the 12th Street Gym (between Walnut and Locust in Center City). When I left a couple years ago, there were at least a few personal trainers there above 40. I believe their policy is for trainers to pay "rent" to the gym before charging their clients whatever the market will bear. Perhaps he could contact them if he hasn't already.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM

640 posts, read 1,987,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
My information may be slightly dated... but I used to be a member of the 12th Street Gym (between Walnut and Locust in Center City). When I left a couple years ago, there were at least a few personal trainers there above 40. I believe their policy is for trainers to pay "rent" to the gym before charging their clients whatever the market will bear. Perhaps he could contact them if he hasn't already.
Thank you very much!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
There appear to be a couple of 40+ trainers at the Bally's in Willow Grove. I believe there will be a growing market for people to provide fitness and nutrition counseling to boomers and empty nesters with disposable income. I don't know if such training exists, but if somebody could specialize in working with older clients they could probably do very well at some of the many 55+ communities. Somebody will fill that niche sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia