U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM

353 posts, read 685,645 times

Advertisements

Most of up north though,areas like as I stated Philly,NYC and NJ all seem so much darker....kinda looks like some Gotham city with no batman type place...some Sherlock Holmes London/UK murder mystery weather because its so dark and gloomy on the regular...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Most of up north though,areas like as I stated Philly,NYC and NJ all seem so much darker....kinda looks like some Gotham city with no batman type place...some Sherlock Holmes London/UK murder mystery weather because its so dark and gloomy on the regular...
Please refer back to post #9 on this thread for your explanation of nightfall conditions.
Daytime weather is also generally less sunny in the Northeast than in Florida.
Anything beyond that is all in your head. Pollution is not the culprit.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 PM

353 posts, read 685,645 times
I comprehend that up north areas like Philly,NYC and NJ does not get as much sun as Miami fl...its why its called the sunshine state....I am speaking on why is it that when looking up at the skies at night very late into the night it looks so much more brighter in south fl than anywhere up north...and up north it seems pitch black....and so if its not pollution then what causes this?

Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Most of the heavy manufacturing plants are long gone in the Philly area so the air is pretty good for the most part. No 'smog' like in LA that's for sure

Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
I comprehend that up north areas like Philly,NYC and NJ does not get as much sun as Miami fl...its why its called the sunshine state....I am speaking on why is it that when looking up at the skies at night very late into the night it looks so much more brighter in south fl than anywhere up north...and up north it seems pitch black....and so if its not pollution then what causes this?
cloud cover has increased over the years with a sharp increase in plane traffic which is heaviest in the northeast. don't know if this is the culprit or not.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
Cloud cover (like smog) makes for brighter, not darker nighttme skies in big cities, though.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,740,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Miami is further south (closer to the equator), and so the sun sets at a slightly later time. So the sky would be brighter for a little while longer each night than in places further north. But in the middle of the night it would be just as dark.
That's the only thing I can think of that might account for what you are describing.
The only other thing I can think of is that South Florida is more densly developed than the northeast with little empty space outside the Everglades. Suburbs outside Philadelphia tend to have larger lots and more wooded areas between houses and also fewer street lights.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,053,215 times
night time humidity reflects light.

Sometimes you can see smog in Philly if you have a good view of the horizon but I don't think it's on the level of LA or anything like that.

Winters in Philly can be dark and gray but the city gets 2500 hours of sunshine per year. It's sunnier than most other places at a similar latitude.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 AM

12,414 posts, read 10,876,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
night time humidity reflects light.

Sometimes you can see smog in Philly if you have a good view of the horizon but I don't think it's on the level of LA or anything like that.

Winters in Philly can be dark and gray but the city gets 2500 hours of sunshine per year. It's sunnier than most other places at a similar latitude.
I'm kind of curious why you are posting on the Philly forum as someone that doesn't even live here. You live in Australia and like so many other wise people left Philly far behind in the rear view mirror.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,053,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm kind of curious why you are posting on the Philly forum as someone that doesn't even live here. You live in Australia and like so many other wise people left Philly far behind in the rear view mirror.

You're making some pretty hefty assumptions there boss.

But you post in the Australia forum and you don't live there. As far as I can tell you never lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or