U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 36,612 times

Advertisements

It's really great to have these questions as a template! I basically know nothing about the Philly area, so I'm trying to find a suitable neighborhood somewhere between the city and West Chester, where I would be working. I'm thinking closer to Philly would be better. I'd like fast and easy access to a variety of social activities (restaurants, bars/pubs, music venues, etc.) but don't want to have to drive too far to work. I also prefer to live in a more modern apartment complex than the converted, older home type. I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give to point me in the right city/town/neighborhood to start looking. Thanks a bunch!

When are you moving? Around October/November
Where are you coming from? California
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? West Chester
Have you been here yet? Very briefly

Will you buy or rent? Rent for now
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Apartment, preferably less than $1500, but up to $1800
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either one

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Probably PA, I'd like to live as close to Philadelphia as possible without having more than a 45min or so commute to West Chester

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids. Mid-30's.
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? Yes. Designated parking is pretty essential to me. Even better if it's covered.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Work Just want it to be less than a 45 min drive
Shopping Yes please!
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) As long as these things are available on my route between work and home, it's fine
NightlifeYes, but not necessarily nightclubs. Just maybe some nice pubs and places where other urban professionals congregate
Train or subway stations Doesn't matter

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Similar age is useful, but diversity otherwise

Coke or Pepsi? Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...#ixzz2dOSTTJ1E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,004 times
I think if you are working in west chester you might as well live there. The philly suburbs within 45 minutes will be unnecessarily expensive and not provide more than west chester from my understanding.

I don't think working in West Chester is going to let you meaningfully live in Philly. You'd have to take the opportunity of living in the area to find a closer job.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
West Chester is an area that is pretty self sufficient. Nice town with a lively but small downtown. Has a healthy supply of shopping centers scattered around WC. Jump in your car and you can be in major shopping hubs like King of Prussia , Concord Pa/DE, Exton all in 20 minutes.

The 1 area that might work given your parameters 1/2 between Philly + WC / newer apts would be Conshohocken.

The surrounding areas of WC like West Goshen,East Goshen,Glen Mills,Chadds Ford have a fair amount of "newer" apt communities. Most new construction in the suburbs have been in housing and retirement communities.

Most of the apartments 1/2 way between WC-Philly are going to be 50 year old outdated complexes. Best bet in my opinion look around WC or maybe Conshohocken might work for you. Or go all in and live in Center City but keep in mind the 4% Philly wage tax.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Stay in West Chester. Nice area.. College town

Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
The Main Line towns might be another option rougly 1/2 way between West Chester and Philly.

The Main Line is a major suburban college hub. Will have everything you are looking for except newer apartments. Towns include Wayne,Haverford, Bryn Mawr,Ardmore,Narberth.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! I've visited West Chester and agree, it's a very nice town. It just seemed like it would be a bit too sleepy and suburban for my taste which is why I was looking to inch closer to the city. It sounds like I just might have to make some compromises. I will check into the other areas mentioned!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:52 PM

2,913 posts, read 4,726,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumBlossom View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! I've visited West Chester and agree, it's a very nice town. It just seemed like it would be a bit too sleepy and suburban for my taste which is why I was looking to inch closer to the city. It sounds like I just might have to make some compromises. I will check into the other areas mentioned!
Have you been to the actual borough of West Chester? The surrounding townships are definitely suburban, but that's not how I'd describe the borough:

West Chester | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Have you been to the actual borough of West Chester? The surrounding townships are definitely suburban, but that's not how I'd describe the borough:

West Chester | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia
Yes, directly in West Chester, but admittedly it was mostly during weekday afternoons. Hmmm, maybe sleepy and suburban isn't quite the right description. If it helps clarify, I typically have a very urban and racially/ethnically diverse circle of friends. Historically I've found myself most comfortable in cities like DC and San Francisco where there is a both socioeconomic and ethnic diversity (not to say that I'd want to live in a "bad" or "unsafe" neighborhood, of course, just to gain that kind of diversity).

I guess what I meant was that it felt very homogenized with the only heterogeneity coming from 20-something college students who would not be my contemporaries...just all country clubs and long-standing family residents...Horses and Hollister. It could be that I pegged West Chester all wrong and need to revisit this too!

Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,004 times
If you want center city and it's surrounding neighborhood's then you'll have to use your west chester job as support while you find a philly job. This is what me and my wife did...

Philly jobs go fast, you'll find 5 in the burbs and 10 in the outer areas before 1 in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or