Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:23 PM

743 posts, read 761,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The older posters here might recall the Jack Lopinson "slay-for-pay" case (1964), or Joseph Kallinger "The Shoemaker" (1974).

Kallinger died in the mental hospital in Cresson in 1996; Lopinson and hired killer Frank "Birdman" Phelan (a bad scene from out of Damon Runyon -- "I take pills so that I don't kill people.") -- escaped execution when the death penalty was invalidated in the early Seventies. Lopinson died in Graterford Prison on 2002, but I was unable to learn whatever happened to Phelan.
I read the Kallinger book - What a crackpot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:36 PM

This guy didn't murder, but does anyone remember the exploits of 'Uncle' Eddie Savitz?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:01 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,782,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
This guy didn't murder, but does anyone remember the exploits of 'Uncle' Eddie Savitz?
Didn't he eat poop or something? I remember all the local news stories when I was young. I think he committed sex crimes too, but all the jokes were about his appetite for feces.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:16 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,567,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't realize that she was still alive.
She is still alive but barely

Old 11-04-2015, 11:18 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,567,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I know it's already been mentioned, but Dolores Della Penna. My great-aunt and uncle were/are her parents. My aunt is still alive, but her father died years ago. Obviously, I never met Dolores as I was born in 1974, but she was my dad's first cousin. Very sad.
That is a very sad story especially when it is so close to home

Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Didn't he eat poop or something? I remember all the local news stories when I was young. I think he committed sex crimes too, but all the jokes were about his appetite for feces.
Half the kids from Greys Ferry were selling them their underwear for pot and beer money ... But, yeah, he was committing acts of a more nefarious nature, also.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 4,187,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Ira Einhorn. What a scumbag.
No matter what you think of Lynn Abraham, I admired the way she pursued Einhorn until she got him back in the US to face a trial. That extradition process was a marathon, but Abraham was pretty obsessed about the case and he eventually had to face trial.

Einhorn is definitely one of the murderers I find memorable. Although his big, fat ego would probably be pleased that anyone finds him memorable.

Gary Heidnik is hard to forget. The "House of Horrors" stories ran endlessly in the newspapers back then. But it was true. It was a "House of Horrors".

Joseph Kallinger and his son Michael stick in my mind, too.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned Sylvia Seegrist and the Springfield Mall murders, but that one was pretty disturbing, in a lot of ways.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 PM

711 posts, read 1,506,359 times
The Mary Ann Mitchel murder.
The "Boy in the box" murder

Old 11-19-2015, 11:50 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,692,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post

Don't know if anyone has mentioned Sylvia Seegrist and the Springfield Mall murders, but that one was pretty disturbing, in a lot of ways.
Someone did mention it. Wasn't she the one who wore fatigues? I think my mom said that she recalled seeing her at the mall one day dressed in those fatigues.

The one I remember most is the Reinert Murders - Susan Reinert, a teacher, and her two children were murdered. The children were never found. Susan's body was found in a car near Harrisburg. The suspect was a fellow teacher, I believe, at Upper Merion High School. When I was working in Phila. in about 1988, I worked with a guy who bought the Reinert home (at a deep discount). I remember some co-workers would tease him that one day he'd find the kids' bodies there. Creepy!

Main Line murder case echoes 30 years later - CNN.com

Another one that stands out in my mind is the Cherry Hill rabbi murderer - Rabbi Fred Neulander who hired a hitman to kill his wife and mother of his three children, if I remember correctly. My sister and her family had belonged to his synagogue prior to that. He may have even done her kids' baby namings. Yikes! I think he was having an affair with radio personality Elaine Soncini. Wow, he even has a Wiki page. And the two hitmen he hired have since been released from jail (fairly recently).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Neulander

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...-man/16559537/

And now, thanks to reading this thread, I probably won't be able to sleep tonight!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:26 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,424,526 times
It's a tie of Heidnik & Einhorn for me. Like many boomer females in the area there was always an "Oh my God, that could have been me. . ." about the killing of Holly Maddux. I was a broadcast tech at WCAU when the Heidnik case hit. I saw footage that never hit the air that I can never unsee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia