U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM

221 posts, read 320,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'll throw in Lee's Hoagie House, Koch's, and Famous Deli.
Can't go wrong with the Cheltenham from Lee's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Can't go wrong with the Cheltenham from Lee's
Lee's does have a good product.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Dalessandros cheesesteak in Roxborough. The best one I've had.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM

56 posts, read 62,815 times
Hands down, my 3 favs come from one shop, I'm surprised no one mentioned it. Chickie's Deli, 10th & Federal. The veggie hoagie is legendary (you don't need to be vegetarian to love this, and it sure ain't healthy), the oyster po boy, and the best tuna hoagie ever. They do have bankers hours, best to check the web for hours of operation. I lived across the street from them, but hardly ever ate there because I was always at work when they were open.

After Chickie's, the rest are the usual suspects, Tony Lukes for pork Italian, John's Roast Pork for cheesesteaks, George's on 9th in the Market, next to Lorenzos is great for pork, and of course Sarcone's for anything. All of the places I mentioned I believe use Sarcone's rolls, except for George's and maybe John's.

Sorry everything is in the SP, but you have to go south of South to get the best Philly has to offer, no disrespect to the other 10,000 fine shops in the Delaware Valley.

And stay away from Pat's and Geno's please, don't look like a shoobie.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-06-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 11:06 AM

I know no one has posted to this thread for 9 days, I hope it's not dead, because Philly comfort food is a passion of mine.

I've tried famous sandwiches from other cities, and have to say that Philadelphia has by far the best. Our sandwiches have a delicate balance, they allow the flavors to come through, they have class, 5 star dining on a roll. If you take the example of two famous sandwiches from not far away, I'll explain. Pittsburgh's Primanti Bros. is just a cholesterol bomb on bread. There is no balance of flavors, all you taste is fat. I am a Rutgers Alum, and the legendary sandwich from the campuses legendary grease trucks is the Fat Darrell. It takes it's cue from Primanti's and put's fries on the sandwich, but up's it by putting mozzarella sticks on it. Yuk. It may be good at 3am closing time to sober up a beer soaked frat boy, but what a mess. It sure get's a lot of national attention too.

NYC has great food, sure, but their signature sandwiches are boring. I can stack a 5 inch pile of good corned beef on a good piece of rye, slather it with good mustard and serve it with a good pickle at home.

On the West Coast, they have tasty sandwiches, but most are served on ciabatta bread or a pita, with avocado and sprouts. Not what us hearty Philly folks are used to. There is great cheesteaks in San Diego though, about a half dozen shops, Philly Franks being the best. A good amount of Philly transplants out there, the owners all from the Delaware Valley. The best cheesesteak I ever had outside of Philly was at a bar, in of all places, Atlanta. Go figure.

The two things we are not know for on a roll is hot dogs and hamburgers. But Larry, I recommend Underdog, right off of Rittenhouse Sq. They are trying to drag Philly into the hot dog culture, and doing a nice job. Could we be the next Chicago? Nah, but it is a respectable dog. Underdog used to have a location between Geno's and J&J's Pizza, but the Oliveri/Vento juggernaut drove them away. A shame Pat's & Geno's can't play nice and welcome another take out restaurant, it benefits everyone. Another good hot dog is at Texas Tommy's right near Melrose Diner. Really good cheap no frills dogs, but the place is a grease fire waiting to happen.

I do like Baltimore's crab cakes and the fish sandwiches around Cape Cod, but for those locals, that's the only show in town. New Orleans is the only place that can keep up with us in the sandwich scene.

As far as other areas of the country, I've been all over, and if Subway sells more sandwiches than any place where you live, your sandwiches suck. BTW, I feel Subway and Jimmy John's ought to be run out of the Delaware Valley on a rail. It's an insult to the area. Wawa should be our default, and we should never compromise with anything lower.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-06-2013 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM

And, if I haven't said enough already, another couple suggestions. The street vendor trucks on the U of P and Temple campuses have some unbelievably good food. Great to grab a bench on campus on a beautiful day, with a good gyro or hoagie, and watch the world go by.

Oh, did I mention DiNics?

That's it Mr. Bowa, and I'd like to thank you for all you've done for the city, that is if you're the REAL Larry Bowa. If not, whatever, lol.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-06-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Wait, I'm not done. A Schmitter from McNally's in Chestnut Hill on Germantown. A really great little pub, the only place I mentioned that you can get your drink on too, except for that kinda tacky sports bar that Tony Luke set up across from his stand on Oregon.

Don't judge a Schmitter from that abomination that they serve at the ballpark. It's a great sandwich when made to order, certainly up there with the best Philly has to offer.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
No doubt, we have some excellent food in our area.. Second to none

Old 09-07-2013, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 21,204 times
This is the kind of stuff I need to see.

I see a Schmitter in my future next weekend.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM

318 posts, read 506,803 times
Roast Pork at DeNic's in the Reading Terminal, Turkey Schwarzie from Primo's in Roxborough, Cheesesteak from Salerno's on Rising Sun ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or