U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Sonny's?! OMFG! Worse I ever had ... no kidding. You need to try Steve's or the steak shop formerly known as Chi*nk's.
Yeah, I've been to Sonny's a number of times, and better than any other steak i've had. Best meat - they slice their own ribeye on-site, maybe that makes a difference. Haven't been to Chi*nks / Joe's yet, however. That is one of the few i haven't been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM

56 posts, read 62,815 times
Quote:
Sounds like you just don't like cheesesteaks. You need to try Steve's or the steak shop formerly known as Chi*nk's.
Joe's (Ch1nk's) is definitely a righteous sandwich.

I pass Paesano's all the time, but never tried them. Isn't Bobby Flay a big fan? I'd be more than happy to compare their pork to Tony Luke. So many sandwiches, so little time.

I think my recommendation for Chickie's is a home run. You being a .375 average in the '80 Series can appreciate that.

Honestly, I think the official food of Philly should either be the Pork Italian or the Hoagie. I love steaks, but eat a lot more of the other two sandwiches. I only eat steaks a couple times a year. Never with wiz either (yuk), provolone for me.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-11-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM

One of the reasons I love Philadelphia is because intelligent people can debate the best sandwiches, and it's no harm or foul. The only town I've been to that loves comfort food as much as we do is Chicago. Ok, New York too.

Can, let's say Orlando, have this debate?

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-11-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
I haven't tried enough cheese steaks in philly but duffy's subs in orlando was prepared like you mentioned. I wouldn't eat a cheese steak any other way. Otherwise lol orlando is 99% chain restaurants as if you are living in an amusement park.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:25 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post
Joe's (Ch1nk's) is definitely a righteous sandwich.

I pass Paesano's all the time, but never tried them. Isn't Bobby Flay a big fan? I'd be more than happy to compare their pork to Tony Luke. So many sandwiches, so little time.

I think my recommendation for Chickie's is a home run. You being a .375 average in the '80 Series can appreciate that.

Honestly, I think the official food of Philly should either be the Pork Italian or the Hoagie. I love steaks, but eat a lot more of the other two sandwiches. I only eat steaks a couple times a year. Never with wiz either (yuk), provolone for me.
Being as you're an astute baseball fan and sandwich connisseur, I'll let you in on this one - Jack's hoagies @Hegerman and Wellington in Tacony. Try the original Italian, I guarantee you it can hang with any hoagie in South Philly.
Also up that way is DeNofa's - their chicken Italian has it all over Tony Luke's.

Have you ever had a train wreck po boy from Beck's in the RTM? Awesome.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I haven't tried enough cheese steaks in philly but duffy's subs in orlando was prepared like you mentioned. I wouldn't eat a cheese steak any other way. Otherwise lol orlando is 99% chain restaurants as if you are living in an amusement park.
I mentioned in a previous post, the best steak I had outside of the Delaware Valley was in a bar in Atlanta, go figure. I tried it out for sh1ts and giggles, so I could criticize it. It was awesome. Unfortunately, the rest of the food I've experienced (been there four times) in Atlanta is dreary, except for a great seafood place (Atlanta Fish Market) in Buckhead.

A shame, because I consider Atlanta much more of a real city than Orlando. No disrespect if you moved here from FL. My parents retired to Ocala, so I'm familiar with Orlando.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-11-2013 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Being as you're an astute baseball fan and sandwich connisseur, I'll let you in on this one - Jack's hoagies @Hegerman and Wellington in Tacony. Try the original Italian, I guarantee you it can hang with any hoagie in South Philly.
Also up that way is DeNofa's - their chicken Italian has it all over Tony Luke's.

Have you ever had a train wreck po boy from Beck's in the RTM? Awesome.
I do go through Tacony fairly frequently, cutting though on Levick. I'll try to give a both a whirl, but if I eat every great sandwich in the area, gross obesity and heart disease would be my fate .

As much as I love RTM (a real super duper Philly jewel), I always seem to get stuck getting grub from the same places. I have to say that I love Jack McDavid's Down Home Diner, and always seem to camp there. Believe it or not, I've never had Bassett's, and I've been going there for 40 years. So shoot me.

I know I need to expand my horizons at RTM, and promise to try the po boy at DeNofa's.

Hey, I thought YOU were the one looking for new sandwiches.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-11-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post
I do go through Tacony fairly frequently, cutting though on Levick. I'll try to give a both a whirl, but if I eat every great sandwich in the area, gross obesity and heart disease would be my fate .

As much as I love RTM (a real super duper Philly jewel), I always seem to get stuck getting grub from the same places. I have to say that I love Jack McDavid's Down Home Diner, and always seem to camp there. Believe it or not, I've never had Bassett's, and I've been going there for 40 years. So shoot me.

I know I need to expand my horizons at RTM, and promise to try the po boy at DeNofa's.

Hey, I thought YOU were the one looking for new sandwiches.
You know how these things go ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or