Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,074 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great replies - very helpful! Just to clarify - my husband will be driving back and forth to work, not taking public transportation.

So I have 3 days in Philly the week after next to check things out. So far my neighborhood list consists of Mt.Airy, Fairmount/Art Museum, Rittenhouse square,.... Where else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Well you should take a look at Horsham To see what's involved in getting there from Mount Airy, Roxboro and the Art Museum neighborhoods. Much of the route will include RT 611/ Broad Street/ Old York Road which runs from City Hall (city center) north to Horsham which is close to the intersection of I-276 (PA Turnpike) and PA Rt 611. I personally like Bing maps because it has the ability to switch to birds eye view so you can actually see real buildings. Three days isn't much time because the area you have to cover is huge and densely developed. There are some freeways but not many to help getting around. BTW the older, denser Beaverton like suburbs I mentioned are all on or close to Rt 611 half way between Horsham and Center City. The most walkable of those neighborhoods is Glenside in Abington and Cheltenham townships. 19038,19095

Last edited by bryson662001; 08-30-2013 at 11:12 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 PM

Thanks! We aren't interested in living in a suburban area, though.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinegnesin View Post
Thanks! We aren't interested in living in a suburban area, though.
I understand . I sugest you hit a CVS, Walgreens, Barns and Noble etc and purchase a philly metro Atlas which will run 35 or 40 dollars but will be a life savor in your search and your new life.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Just remember to take your husband's commute into consideration. There really is no section of Philly that will be 30 minutes from Horsham. Horsham is pretty far out there. His commute with traffic will be 1-1 1/2 hours each way depending on traffic.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the great replies - very helpful! Just to clarify - my husband will be driving back and forth to work, not taking public transportation.

So I have 3 days in Philly the week after next to check things out. So far my neighborhood list consists of Mt.Airy, Fairmount/Art Museum, Rittenhouse square,.... Where else?
I'd also look at South Philly-specifically East Passyunk, Italian Market, Bella Vista, Queen Village-as well as University City in West Philly.
But if you are intent on keeping the commute less than 30 Minutes, that may limit you to Mount Airy and I'd definitely look at East Falls too.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:

If you are open to Mt Airy then Chestnut Hill is worth a look as well. I kind of disagree with the sentiment that Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill do not have a suburban feel. Compared to Center City and Portland they definitely have a suburban feel imo. But they are awesome neighborhoods, especially Chestnut Hill, that you should take a look at them.

Back in Center City neighborhoods - Add Society Hill,Old City,Graduate Hospital, Fitler Square,Old City, Queen Village. Across the Schuylkill River University City/Spruce Hill.

From your emphasis on culture, museums, home schooling (Free Library of Philadelphia) sounds like the Art Museum Area/Fairmount may be your best match.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:53 PM

40 posts, read 82,807 times
I would say Chestnut Hill or Mount airy

One of the closest neighborhoods to Horsham
Within Your Price Range
Shops on Germantown Ave will be good for you living carless with kids
Since your a runner Valley Green is the largest urban park in the country and is awesome (I run there at least once a week)
You can have a small yard so you can garden and kids to play (while still being urban)
There are a lot of other nice parks
Your neighbors seem to be your type of people
One of the safest Neighborhoods in the city
Outdoorsy neighborhood
Many great restaurants along the Ave.
Mt Airy is very different in areas west mount airy is very suburban while east is urban and Chestnut hill as long as your close to the Ave its urban
I think those neighborhhods are perfect

Old 08-31-2013, 01:12 PM

510 posts, read 905,774 times
I put forward another bid for West Philly. Most of my crunchy yet professional friends with young kids live around the Cedar Park area. Somewhere like the Garden Courts Plaza has nice, well built, safe apartments close to public transportation and parks. My husband I lived there for our twins' first two years and it worked out well (and our neighbor swore she never heard them crying!). Graduate students live there but it tends to be more quiet and serious. the rent is on the high side but it could be worth it for you. Best of luck.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanks so much you guys!
Mt Airy is starting to sound tempting...... I really appreciate the poster who clarified the suburban vs urban parts. My husband is trying to talk me into it.... When I visit in a few weeks we will be staying at Rittenhouse sq. Will it be hard to get to Mt Airy for a visit on transit from there? My mom will have a car but I like to practice using public transit to see how its going to be.

I'm thinking if we like Mt airy on this visit we might stay there in November when we visit again with my husband. Our final move date is January 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia