U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,051,439 times

Advertisements

my brother lived in the Short North for 4 years. I spent 3 weeks out there over 3 years. If you want to live in a similar neighborhood where you're close to the action and you can walk downtown (a 20 minute walk but a walk nonetheless) and to places like North Market then I would shy away from the northwest neighborhoods.

They're nice places, certainly and Manayunk has a very lively strip but it's not really close to Center City. Parking is possible in Manayunk but I wouldn't call it convenient. East Falls and Roxborough are easier in that regard but there's also a lot less action.

I would check out Fishtown, Pennsport, Passyunk Square and the Baltimore Ave. corridor in West Philly. You might be cutting it close on the budget but you'll be much closer to where the action is. The latter two would put you further from work but closer to the subways so, at least time-wise, it might be around the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
I gave the OP the wrong websites. It should be Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data with the rent option and zips 19118,19127,19128,19129
and in Center City19102,19103,19106,19107
also www.4wallsinphilly.com

Old 09-03-2013, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 5,634 times
Thank you all for the advice, defeating for my great plans to live out by work and be able to take the rails but mayube just more motivation to find a place in the city proper and pay the extra rent.

Aside from the area codes that are above (super helpful by the way thank you bryson) and the advice on the travel (pman) are there any actual complex's that you would reccomend looking at in the said areas (zip codes and city center) that you know to be affordable but not crooks? I notice a lot of people posting some harsh things on the apartment rating sites but honestly if you are happy why in the world are you going to take the time to post?! Skews that whole perspective for me but currently notice that there are two a little bit out in the burbs that seem ok Alden Park and Charter Court at EF (though again bad reviews). Any thoughts?

If I was willing to break out the extra cash are there any certain places more downtown to look at? Again I can ditch my car if its close enough to transportation...in fact I kind of really want to get rid of the thing and be down with it so please any suggestions are more than welcome even if it doesn't fit the initial budget though a 1 bedroom would be the least that would work...no studios, would go nuts with another person in there.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,851,982 times
You might want to look in Queen Village. It's just south of center city and the 57 bus goes right through - north on 3rd Street, south on 4th.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,472,347 times
if he lived in old city, northern liberties, or kensington hed bypass cc traffic. alden park is a dump on the inside. such a nice place but its criminal the way ita run. you can generally save money by avoiding complexes

Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Another heads up for the OP because of your budget. Wherever you end up make sure it has A/C or will handle a window unit because you can't go through a Philly summer without A/C

Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,207 times
I lived in Columbus for 7 years and was in the Short North all the time; I spent a ton of time in the SN, Grandview, German Village etc so I know the vibe you're looking for.

The good news is that Philly has a dozen neighborhoods/areas to choose from, based on your criteria. Most of the neighborhoods mentioned in this post are worth exploring. You'll find a nice, bustling area throughout the area.

Rents are higher here for the most part, but you'll find easy public transit, plenty of restaurants/bars, and good city life all over the place. There's a reason why Philly's population is starting to rise again.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM

One more website we like is Philadelphia Apartments for Rent | Philadelphia PA Apartments | Philadelphia Pennsylvania Rentals because it includes the whole metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia