U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 05:43 PM

67 posts, read 250,704 times

Advertisements

I am headed back to Philly to finish my masters at UPenn. I moved there a couple of years ago and lived in Center City. I was there for about 4 months. I love CC, but I do not want to live there again. I am looking for something away from the city. I am not interested in night life, socialization, etc. Just want to finish out my year and graduate.

I am considering an apartment in Feasterville. I am a single, female so the safety of that area is my first question. Safe enough for a girl?

Transportation is my next big concern. SEPTA is just a big old confusing maze to me....Of course, I do live in the middle of nowhere in Texas where public transportation is non-existent. So, it doesn't take much to confuse me in that area. I can get discount passes from UPenn.

So, the apartment I am considering is a block from the Neshaminy Falls Train Station. I believe that is Zone 3? But what kind of pass do I need?

Transpass or Trailpass? I may be doing clinicals in NJ or Delaware. Should I get an cross country pass to cover those areas as well?

And what the hell does this mean???

Zone 3 TrailPasses: Valid weekdays on Regional Rail for travel from Center City Stations to all outlying Stations, on trains scheduled to depart 30th St. Suburban, or Market East Stations before 4:00 p.m. or after 7:00 p.m.

What happens between 4-7?

And......

Zone 3 Trailpasses: Valid weekdays on Regional Rail for travel from all outlying stations to Center City Stations, on trains scheduled to arrive at 30th St. Suburban, or Market East Stations after 9:30 a.m.

Again, what happens prior to 9:30am?

I appreciate any assistance offered.... feel free to laugh hilariously at my lack of understanding of your public transportation system. I think I have a better chance of solving world hunger than solving the mystery of the SEPTA system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,882,384 times
It's simple. A zone 3 pass is good for travel to or from zone 3 stations (or less than zone 3) at ANY time.

It is valid from ANY station during off-peak hours. This means that when traveling off peak, you can also use your zone 3 pass to get to zone 4 or New Jersey stations.

You want a trailpass. Trailpass is for regional rails. Transpass is for city transit (bus, subway, and trolleys).

Old 09-02-2013, 08:19 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,406,947 times
I hate that rail stop. It's borderline dangerous for pedestrians once you leave the lot walking to Bristol Road. No sidewalks.

You don't need a Cross County Pass. Use a Zone 3 and pay the extra bucks to travel to Jersey or Deleware

Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,740,351 times
If you think you are in the middle of nowhere now, wait till you hit Feasrerville. LOL You do have a car I hope?

Why do you want to be so far from school......and everything else? You can live in quiet, peaceful convenient far Northeast Philly, car free if you want and be a close bus ride to the frankford Terminal El stop.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Thanks Famous....sounds so much simpler when you say it.

Bryson... I do have a car. I wish I could come without it, but I think I will need it for clinicals in far away places. I know I can get to Delaware via rail, but once there I may not be able to reach my clinical destination via public transportation. Some of the sites are reportedly remote. Alas, the need of a car. However, I do not want to drive my car to school because the price of parking at UPenn is INSANE!

I'm not hell bent on Feasterville, just considering it. Northeast Philly would be fine as well. Just looking for reasonable rent (1000.00 a month or less) and off street parking. Off street parking is an absolute MUST. I am a horrible parallel parker.....even in Texas where parking spaces are HUGE. I could never manage street parking in Philly. Any suggestions for "far Northeast Philly?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 AM

Philadelphia Apartments for Rent | Philadelphia PA Apartments | Philadelphia Pennsylvania Rentals

www.trulea.com with the rent option and zip19114,19136,19152,19149
The key is then to find something on a bus line that will take you to the Frankford Terminal elevated stop. You can also drive to one of the big shopping centers on Frankford av or even Franklin Mills mall and get a bus to Frankford terminal.

Last edited by bryson662001; 09-03-2013 at 03:13 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 AM

149 posts, read 273,037 times
Somerton in NE Philly might be a good option. Same Regional Rail Line, just a few stops up & still pretty safe. I might also consider looking at some other lines too, such as the Warminster Line. It does not come as frequently but the areas near the stops (Jenkintown, Glenside, Abington, Willow Grove) are decent and you could probably find an apartment within walking distance.

Along those lines, I might also suggest looking at Glenside. IMO, it's nicer than Feasterville, just as safe, and there are several lines that go through it so you have more options (if you miss a train by a minute or two, there should be another one in just a few minutes). I believe Glenside should also fit with your budget. Only issue is that it's not all that close to any of the highways in the area. Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 AM

The website for rentals should be Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data I spelled it wrong

Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
Somerton in NE Philly might be a good option. Same Regional Rail Line, just a few stops up & still pretty safe. I might also consider looking at some other lines too, such as the Warminster Line. It does not come as frequently but the areas near the stops (Jenkintown, Glenside, Abington, Willow Grove) are decent and you could probably find an apartment within walking distance.

Along those lines, I might also suggest looking at Glenside. IMO, it's nicer than Feasterville, just as safe, and there are several lines that go through it so you have more options (if you miss a train by a minute or two, there should be another one in just a few minutes). I believe Glenside should also fit with your budget. Only issue is that it's not all that close to any of the highways in the area. Good Luck!
This will work except I am recommending the Market Frankford El which only costs a subway token and runs much more frequently than regional rail. If you are using regional rail then Toresdale in NE Philly has a convenient station with parking and it will be cheaper because it's closer to the city. I am not sure what zone Somerton is but it is a great area for apartments. Rents inside the city limits tend to be lower because the city has crap public schools and the wage tax, neither of which would be a factor for you. I don't remember if Glenside has viable parking at the station. It's a great area with lots of apartments but only a handful are within walking distance of the station.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Thanks so much for all the information. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or