U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,051,801 times

Advertisements

I get it. An intercity bus stop is really nothing like a SEPTA bus stop. At a city bus stop you might have 8 people waiting for a bus for a few minutes. A megabus stop has 50 people waiting for 15+ minutes a couple of times a day. The buses have long dwell times, sometimes they idle for long periods. It's not a great environment and Drexel has a valid point.

I get that people are trying to defend the convenience for themselves but it wouldn't really kill anyone if it was moved to a different block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 AM

802 posts, read 1,139,073 times
This is similar to last year when the agency that runs the convention center in Pittsburgh wanted the Megabus stop moved. The claim was the passengers littered and used the center's bathrooms. I've used the Philly/Pitt route many times and don't see an unusual amount of litter being tossed on the sidewalk. As far as using the bathrooms, they're only open to people in town for conventions.

The way Drexel talks you might think the stop was a bunch of felons waiting for the bus taking them to prison. Personally as a regular passenger I find Drexel's reason offensive.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM

318 posts, read 506,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Have you guys ever even seen a Megabus stop? It's not like a city bus stop. It's a bunch of poor people. Of course it would deter development, that's just common sense.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2
Wrong. My son used Megabus all the time when he went to college out in Pittsburgh. It's mostly college kids using it. As Bill Engvall would say...."heeeeere's your sign".

Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I think Drexel should leave the bus stops alone and build its "innovation center" somewhere else. Megabus and Bolt bus stops are located in the perfect place, next to the main Amtrak station for Philly, next to the hub for SEPTA regional rail, the airport rail line, and the Market-Frankford SEPTA line. I heard that Drexel took over the old post office building. Drexel should give it up to the city and it should be turned into a transportation center with newsstands, food vendors, waiting rooms, storage lockers, and rest rooms on the first floor, and offices above. Many cities, including Baltimore, have been trying to build a transportation center next to their Amtrak train station for years. Philadelphia has it complete and now Drexel University wants to ruin it.

Drexel should go find some bad areas on the other side of its campus and gentrify them with its innovation center.
Well Drexel owns all of that property, so they can kinda call the shots on this one. Plus, I trust Drexel, they have a vision and they are aggressively pursuing for the betterment of the entire city. An option could be to try and work the Megabus station into their new designs, possibly making it more organized or hidden.

And I would much rather Drexel turn Powelton Village/Mantua into a thriving and SAFER neighborhood rather than built a bus depot...

Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

And I would much rather Drexel turn Powelton Village/Mantua into a thriving and SAFER neighborhood rather than built a bus depot...
Megabus and Boltbus don't want a bus depot anyway. They offer no frills service. Drexel already exists directly next to the most important transit hub in Philadelphia - if they can't figure out how that's advantageous to them (whether in its current state or in an altered state), then that's a lack of vision.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 AM

13,465 posts, read 7,424,381 times
I hope not. The Megabus stop is in a great location.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 AM

802 posts, read 1,139,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I hope not. The Megabus stop is in a great location.
I agree. It's near just about everything. If you want to grab a bite to eat or wait inside there's 30th street.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Maybe Drexel should dip into it's millions and donate a mega bus shelter(no pun intended) to make things look more respectable. They would probably have to take on Amtrak but it would be a win/win for everyone else involved.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM

13 posts, read 21,986 times
It seems like a selling point for Drexel to have the Megabus stop close (easy access to various east coast cities) too, although a hindrance at the same time. It just seems like Megabus and the other companies should be paying for trash service, and make efforts to have things a little more clean and safe - so the city gets something out of it too.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:31 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souphil View Post
It seems like a selling point for Drexel to have the Megabus stop close (easy access to various east coast cities) too, although a hindrance at the same time. It just seems like Megabus and the other companies should be paying for trash service, and make efforts to have things a little more clean and safe - so the city gets something out of it too.
I know lots of college students that use Megabus, including my son. I agree that Drexel should look at it as a selling point. My daughter (fully employed) has used it since her college days and still does. Right now the cost for megabus is more then the cost of Amtrak from my son's college town on the Sunday after Thanksgiving!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia