U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM
 
802 posts, read 1,139,073 times
Reputation: 500

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Because Boltbus and Megabus do not use terminals. I am a frequent user of Boltbus. I don't care if they move as long as it's in a location convenient to my center city condo.
Same here. Even though I would rather the stop stay in the 30th street area anywhere downtown is good. I have various forms of transit that I can take to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Philly
10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Reputation: 2774
I'd love it if they used suburban station instead, though I know people do use the keystone corridor to get to philly and then bus it up to ny...and obviously a alrge chunk of their target market is already in west philly. taht little pull in in front of the old post office would have been the ideal spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I'd love it if they used suburban station instead, though I know people do use the keystone corridor to get to philly and then bus it up to ny...and obviously a alrge chunk of their target market is already in west philly. taht little pull in in front of the old post office would have been the ideal spot
The east side of 30th street station would be good too. The JFK viaduct that runs barren and lifeless from 20th street into 30th street station, with very little traffic.

There are actually lots of options, considering Philly has multiple transit hubs. I still think it's disingenuous for Drexel to blame a bus stop for this lot not being developed in a city with as much undeveloped land as Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 PM
 
9,072 posts, read 16,890,636 times
Reputation: 6896
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I still think it's disingenuous for Drexel to blame a bus stop for this lot not being developed in a city with as much undeveloped land as Philadelphia.
They're not saying that at all though.

They are saying that they own some land and have plans to develop it. They believe having this operation located on the sidewalk in front of a building/development they want to build will deter or limit the number/type of tenants that would buy into the mixed use property.

I would venture this is based on some feedback/conversations they have had during the initial stages of their planning, reaching out to the business community, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2013, 05:46 PM
 
2,394 posts, read 3,051,801 times
Reputation: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
They're not saying that at all though.

They are saying that they own some land and have plans to develop it. They believe having this operation located on the sidewalk in front of a building/development they want to build will deter or limit the number/type of tenants that would buy into the mixed use property.

I would venture this is based on some feedback/conversations they have had during the initial stages of their planning, reaching out to the business community, etc.
Exactly.

And it's not "just a bus stop". It averages 200 passengers an hour for 20 hours per day.

I think if any of you had that on your block the diesel fumes alone would have you reaching for the phone in the first few hours. The throngs of people lined up down the street would only be problematic days or weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Yes. Let's make Drexel build somewhere else and leave the parking lots undeveloped for all eternity because of a ****ing bus stop
Though Drexel will get its way, only in Philadelphia would that be possible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM
 
802 posts, read 1,139,073 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Though Drexel will get its way, only in Philadelphia would that be possible...
I agree. The best example is the parking lot where the old Gimbels Department store used to be. That is prime land for development, and at one point Disney was interested, but it still remains an ugly lot.

I don't understand why we can't do like Boston. They have something worked out where both Megabus and Bolt can pick up passengers close to South Station and it's inside. But then again maybe their political leadership is better than the incompetence that exists in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM
 
13 posts, read 21,986 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I agree. The best example is the parking lot where the old Gimbels Department store used to be. That is prime land for development, and at one point Disney was interested, but it still remains an ugly lot.

I don't understand why we can't do like Boston. They have something worked out where both Megabus and Bolt can pick up passengers close to South Station and it's inside. But then again maybe their political leadership is better than the incompetence that exists in Philadelphia.
You guys are really starting to jump the gun here. First, the city hasn't done squat in response to Drexel complaining. Second, Drexel is trying to build up the area between campus and 30th street/center city - a good goal. Third, in NYC, they pick up and drop off outside (I'm pretty sure).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 AM
 
12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Reputation: 7341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Yes, I know what they are. I'm saying that as such, it's not such a big deal for them to choose a different neutral patch of sidewalk (or even an existing bus terminal owned by their parent company) to pick up passengers from.
I think Megabus likes the 30th street station because that's where Amtrak comes in. My kids use a combination of megabus and amtrak and I don't think that's unusual.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by souphil View Post
You guys are really starting to jump the gun here. First, the city hasn't done squat in response to Drexel complaining. Second, Drexel is trying to build up the area between campus and 30th street/center city - a good goal. Third, in NYC, they pick up and drop off outside (I'm pretty sure).
In NYC most pick ups and drop offs take place outside of MSG. It is gross and rats the size of small dogs run from planter to planter they have set up out there.

So it's not like philly is alone in not have a great set up for this. I think that's more on bolt and megabus than the city.

Also while I like the services these buses provide, as others have stated, these are not regular bus stops. I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to constantly have people with lots of bags crowding the sidewalk in front of your business.

I think it's very reasonable that if Drexel is to develop that land the bus stop should move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top