U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:11 PM

802 posts, read 1,139,073 times

Advertisements

Drexel Wants Discount Bus Stops Moved « CBS Philly

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Thousands of people use the Bolt and Megabus stops near 30th Street Station to travel to and from Philadelphia, but Drexel University would like them to come and go from somewhere else, fearing they will discourage the development it has in mind for the area.

The bus stops are spartan — no infrastructure, just long lines of people waiting to board bargain-priced buses to New York and Washington.

In a statement, Drexel says it fears their presence “will deter entrepreneurs and companies from wanting to locate their businesses” on the surrounding property, which Drexel owns and wants to make an “innovation neighborhood.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 07:28 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Yeah, why would an entrepreneur want to locate a business anywhere near a heavily used bus stop?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Yeah, why would an entrepreneur want to locate a business anywhere near a heavily used bus stop?
Drexel University is close to many SEPTA stops. I don't really see a difference.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,492,869 times
Have you guys ever even seen a Megabus stop? It's not like a city bus stop. It's a bunch of poor people. Of course it would deter development, that's just common sense.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Drexel University is close to many SEPTA stops. I don't really see a difference.
That's also part of why it's such an ideal stop for megabus. Right across the street from all regional rails, the MFL, and the trolleys. It's part of the appeal. When I take megabus, I take the regional rail in, can hang out in 30th until it gets close to my departure time, and just cross the street.

I think it would be better to take a wait and see approach. This block is a dreary block that basically serves two purposes in its current state. Car storage and discount transit hub. The only real higher functions of civilization going on here, some vending carts, are there solely because of the bus service. It's pretty specious reasoning that the bus stop is causing a lack of development. In other cities, notably New York, owners of actual businesses and properties that exist in reality, not in theory, have had some legitimate complaints about megabus patrons in front of their property, and that's something that makes a whole lot more sense to deal with, as it's an actual conflict. Until then, this makes sense as the bus pickup in my opinion, since it is an inexplicably vacant lot next to great transit connection. It would be difficult to find such another block as accessible with absolutely nothing going for megabus and boltbus to possibly interfere with (a premise I still don't entirely agree with - since its guaranteed street life in front of potential retail in a section of the city that doesn't exactly have the heaviest foot traffic to begin with).

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Have you guys ever even seen a Megabus stop? It's not like a city bus stop. It's a bunch of poor people. Of course it would deter development, that's just common sense.

Not true. Most of the passengers who ride Megabus are college students or older people. Where are you getting this information from?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

Yeah, you have obviously never taken the megabus from Philadelphia to New York.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,297,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Yeah, you have obviously never taken the megabus from Philadelphia to New York.
Or from anywhere... I've taken Megabus routes Detroit-Chicago, Detroit-Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh-Philadelphia, and Toronto-Philadelphia. Surely, I will be taking it from Philadelphia to New York City one day. Majority of the time it is university students travelling to and from home. I've met people from all sorts of schools: UPenn, Drexel, Philadelphia University, Temple, St. Joseph's, Lasalle, Duquesne, Carnegie Mellon, University of Pittsburgh, University of Chicago, University of Toronto, etc. etc. including undergraduates, PhD candidates, law school students, etc. My father also took it from Detroit-Pittsburgh-Philadelphia and said it was mainly elderly people wanting to travel cheap. Oh, and an international researcher from Russia invited to hold an event at UPenn was also on his bus. Not to mention I've met a lot of interesting people on buses... various professors, Sudanese refugees studying chemistry, a singer signed to Motown records, a director of Aboriginal affairs in Canada who also is an author and was documenting aboriginal languages--a project that she got to discuss with Noam Chomsky!--, and a lot of other fascinating people.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:49 PM

3,108 posts, read 2,882,694 times
I think Drexel should leave the bus stops alone and build its "innovation center" somewhere else. Megabus and Bolt bus stops are located in the perfect place, next to the main Amtrak station for Philly, next to the hub for SEPTA regional rail, the airport rail line, and the Market-Frankford SEPTA line. I heard that Drexel took over the old post office building. Drexel should give it up to the city and it should be turned into a transportation center with newsstands, food vendors, waiting rooms, storage lockers, and rest rooms on the first floor, and offices above. Many cities, including Baltimore, have been trying to build a transportation center next to their Amtrak train station for years. Philadelphia has it complete and now Drexel University wants to ruin it.

Drexel should go find some bad areas on the other side of its campus and gentrify them with its innovation center.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Not true. Most of the passengers who ride Megabus are college students or older people. Where are you getting this information from?
He must be referring to the megabuses in Houston or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia