U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,852,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Really. ? Here is a Google search for NW Philly. See if our friends from Wis like that area

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...BLDc4APSh4DQBA
What's wrong with Northwest Philly? You making it seem like it has one of the highest crime rates in the city, when in reality it's one of the lowest when compared to other sections of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM

11,942 posts, read 10,824,387 times
Quote:
Really. ? Here is a Google search for NW Philly. See if our friends from Wis like that area

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...BLDc4APSh4DQBA
Oh dear.

OP, Northwest Philly is a section in the city made up of neighborhoods that each functioned as their own small town at one point-Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, East Falls, Manayunk and Roxborough. This section of the city has the least amount of rowhomes, although there are still many around. It also has the largest yards and great access to the best park in the city IMO-The Wissahickon. It is the quietest section of the city as most streets are residential except for the "downtown" of each neighborhood.

FWIW I know people that fish on The Schuylkill River and in The Wissahickon Park. You can't eat them but it's still fun.
I could've sworn I've seen a pick-up truck or two as well...You're on your own being a fan of The Cowboys, however.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-05-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM

85 posts, read 110,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You're on your own being a fan of The Cowboys, however.
Haha, he already is alone here, in the land of the Cheeseheads. He's used to it.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM

22,381 posts, read 33,167,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
Haha, he already is alone here, in the land of the Cheeseheads. He's used to it.

Well there are a few Cowboy fans here, but would say the dislike of Cowboys (Giants or Redskins) is probably stronger than in the land of cheeseheads. They are a hated NFC East division rival

Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
what kind of nonsense is this? I tend to wonder if you ever left the northeast when you lived in philly.

northwest philadelphia

I googled NW Philly and I posted what came up.. End of story..

Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What's wrong with Northwest Philly? You making it seem like it has one of the highest crime rates in the city, when in reality it's one of the lowest when compared to other sections of the city.

Did not make it seem like anything,. Google did..

I just don't thin its a match for people from Wisconsin who are used to country life.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
So I guess your logic here is that one could learn about Northwest Philly by google searches for "North Philly" + "West Philly"?
I don't think that would give anyone very helpful or realistic results. But maybe it was a joke..
Joke? Ask google.. its their link..

Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well there are a few Cowboy fans here, but would say the dislike of Cowboys (Giants or Redskins) is probably stronger than in the land of cheeseheads. They are a hated NFC East division rival

My wife and her father(who are born and raised in Philly) are Cowboys fans! lol. Our Son is an Eagles fan. You aught to see our house when they play each other..

Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,852,605 times
Quote:
Did not make it seem like anything,. Google did..

I just don't thin its a match for people from Wisconsin who are used to country life.
I'm sure the OP isn't expecting Philly to be just like the rural areas of the Wisconsin countryside.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:08 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,696,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
My husband and I are trying to find our perfect city! We know we'll never have everything that both of us wants, but hoping to find the city that has the most elements we're each looking for, and has the sacrifices balanced between us.

We are from Wisconsin. He loves it, and I hate it. I've always told my parents, as soon as I am able, I'm out of here! But now I have him to consider too. Hoping for the experts' advice based on our below preferences...

He likes: seasons, snow, fishing, pickup trucks, hanging out with his friends, low cost of living, residing in a house, plowing snow, doing his own house repairs, cloudy days, Dallas Cowboys

He hates: humidity, hot temperatures, moving a lot (his mom did it to him as a kid, and it's severely colored his opinion of it negatively), renting

I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals

I hate: long winters, more than a few inches of snow, getting into a cold vehicle or cold bed, when it gets dark at 4pm, mosquitoes, wearing four sweaters under my coat

So, I know we couldn't have every single thing, but do you think Philly could be a good compromise? Is this a good candidate to spend our money and time to come visit and see it for ourselves?
Gets humid - Yup
Gets "hot" - Yup
50-80 temp - only winter goes outside this
Mass Transit - Best in the city proper
Festivals, parks etc - Best in the city proper
Mosquitoes - I got bit maybe 3 times in a year?
Dark at 4pm - Yup
Four sweaters - No
Dog Walking - Yup
Gardening - Yup
Wearing Sandals - Yup
Cloudy Days - Plenty
Snow - It might stay on the ground for a few times for a few days
Pickup Trucks - Plenty, not exactly pickup truck culture though, but open minded
House - You should also consider a rowhome in one of philly's romantic neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia