U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,852,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
what kind of nonsense is this? I tend to wonder if you ever left the northeast when you lived in philly.

northwest philadelphia
I really think Northwest Philly would be perfect for the OP. It perfectly blends urbanity with spacious natural scenery. Areas like Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, and Manayank would be great neighborhoods to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
House - You should also consider a rowhome in one of philly's romantic neighborhoods

Never heard a row home being called romantic. Maybe when you can hear your neighbors bumping ugly thru the walls, is that what you mean by romantic?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Joke? Ask google.. its their link..
Well...it's actually your link. You linked to a your google search that would produce results for "north philly" and "west philly", but not "northwest philly"
If it was a joke, it's actually kind of funny. but if it was serious, then you may want to work on your google skills a little.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Well...it's actually your link. You linked to a your google search that would produce results for "north philly" and "west philly", but not "northwest philly"
If it was a joke, it's actually kind of funny. but if it was serious, then you may want to work on your google skills a little.

Ok I changed the pic search to what you say.. "Northwest Philadelphia" Here what you get.. Any different?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nort...w=1440&bih=745

Old 09-05-2013, 06:37 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
yes.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Then I stand corrected..

Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Quote:
Never heard a row home being called romantic. Maybe when you can hear your neighbors bumping ugly thru the walls, is that what you mean by romantic?
Some people find rowhomes/townhomes to be cozy, notwithstanding the thickness (or lack thereof) of the common walls. Not to mention that it's the only option for a good portion of the city proper.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,053,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
He likes: seasons, snow, fishing, pickup trucks, hanging out with his friends, low cost of living, residing in a house, plowing snow, doing his own house repairs, cloudy days, Dallas Cowboys
He'll have to make new friends, obviously but he'll definitely get 4 seasons. It's certainly affordable so you shouldn't have a problem being able to afford a house or a townhouse and work on it as much or as little as you like. Snow is hit or miss. Philly doesn't have a snowpack all winter like WI and snowfall varies widely from year-to-year and from one part of the region to the next. For instance, South Philly and airport don't see much in the way of accumulation compared to places north and west of the city (you'll also see more pickups as you go north and west of the city). It's a combination of the lower elevation (a few feet above sea level) and the urban heat island effect. Just a couple of years ago we got hit with back to back blizzards but big snowfalls like that seem to happen every 5 years or so. When it does snow don't expect it to stick around for more than a few days. You'll get plenty of cloudy days in the late fall and early winter. You can fish in the city if you wanted to, I see people do it all the time, but I would imagine that even where you live now he has to drive a little bit to get to his favorite fishing spot. It's pretty much the same here - drive 30 minutes from the city and your options open up. Drive an hour and you'll have your pick of salt water fishing in NJ or river and creek fishing in the PA hills.

Quote:
He hates: humidity, hot temperatures, moving a lot (his mom did it to him as a kid, and it's severely colored his opinion of it negatively), renting
Well, moving once isn't "moving a lot" so just find your place and stay there. It gets hot in Philly in the summer. It's usually 5-10 degrees cooler in the suburbs and at the Shore but there's no escaping the humidity. That said, it's usually only bad for about 6 weeks (late June to early August). Just make sure the place you get has a/c. If it's a small-ish rowhome in the city you can probably get away with 2 or 3 window units. For anything bigger you'll need central air or a mini-split system. Personally, I prefer the mini-splits because a lot of times, especially in the city, it's not too hot during the day but it can be uncomfortable sleeping weather. It's a waste to cool the whole house when all you need is to cool the bedroom. Keep in mind that the average daily high temp is above 60 degrees from early April through to early November so 6 weeks of hot weather in the middle really isn't that bad. Plan your annual vacation back to WI accordingly

Quote:
I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals
Philly has all of those things for you. You'll get your weather at least 9 months a year. SEPTA isn't without its problems but in terms of service (where you can go, how often and during what hours) it's one of the better systems in the country. The spring and summer of full of festivals that it can get overwhelming trying to get them all in.

Quote:
I hate: long winters, more than a few inches of snow, getting into a cold vehicle or cold bed, when it gets dark at 4pm, mosquitoes, wearing four sweaters under my coat
The winters aren't long - not compared to WI anyway but they exist and it definitely gets cold but it doesn't usually last for long. Basically, if you were in Madison and you could skip from Thanksgiving to early March - that is what winter in Philly is like. It gets dark closer to 5pm in the dead of winter. In winter I usually wear a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt a jacket and scarf. Unless I'm going to be outside for hours there's not usually a reason to bundle up anymore than that.

Quote:
So, I know we couldn't have every single thing, but do you think Philly could be a good compromise? Is this a good candidate to spend our money and time to come visit and see it for ourselves?
I would definitely come check it out. You sound more like a city person and he more like a country person so as others have said I would check out Mt. Airy and Germantown and maybe parts of Roxborough near the Wissahickon Trail. I would also look into the areas just north (Jenkintown, Ambler, etc) west (Ardmore, Havertown, etc) and east (Collingswood, Westmont, etc) of the city. You still have great train access to the city and can be there in minutes but you'll have more options in terms of housing stock. All of those places have rowhomes and twins but they also have a lot of detached houses with the larger yards for gardening and you're also more likely to get a garage and driveway. In the city those things are not impossible but more rare than in the suburban towns.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
My husband and I are trying to find our perfect city! We know we'll never have everything that both of us wants, but hoping to find the city that has the most elements we're each looking for, and has the sacrifices balanced between us.

We are from Wisconsin. He loves it, and I hate it. I've always told my parents, as soon as I am able, I'm out of here! But now I have him to consider too. Hoping for the experts' advice based on our below preferences...

He likes: seasons, snow, fishing, pickup trucks, hanging out with his friends, low cost of living, residing in a house, plowing snow, doing his own house repairs, cloudy days, Dallas Cowboys

He hates: humidity, hot temperatures, moving a lot (his mom did it to him as a kid, and it's severely colored his opinion of it negatively), renting

I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals

I hate: long winters, more than a few inches of snow, getting into a cold vehicle or cold bed, when it gets dark at 4pm, mosquitoes, wearing four sweaters under my coat

So, I know we couldn't have every single thing, but do you think Philly could be a good compromise? Is this a good candidate to spend our money and time to come visit and see it for ourselves?
I've seen this exact same post in the Albuquerque and Portland forums. Looks like you are really searching.

Well, sounds like he'd want to be in a rural area, and in a northern climate. Sounds like you'd want to be in a city that isn't too northern. Philadelphia might work for you. Sounds like he'd be better off in the countryside.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 AM

85 posts, read 110,356 times
Quote:
I just don't thin its a match for people from Wisconsin who are used to country life.
"Country life" is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. I studied abroad in London and Paris, and have attended college in a few cities. I miss that rush and energy, even though it will inevitably increase with crime. A lot of crime could be a deal-breaker, but a little crime is actually good for us, with my husband trying to find police work. There's no openings around here, departments are just too small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia