U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 AM

85 posts, read 110,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've seen this exact same post in the Albuquerque and Portland forums. Looks like you are really searching.
Yes, I am! I figured copy and pasting would be okay, as not a ton of people would be crossing forums? I'm really just trying to get the insider's perspective of each location to make our short list, so I'm posting under each city that shows potential for us. I really want to have a few good candidates to choose from and then start visiting. I remain optimistic that I will find the right place for both of us!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
"Country life" is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. I studied abroad in London and Paris, and have attended college in a few cities. I miss that rush and energy, even though it will inevitably increase with crime. A lot of crime could be a deal-breaker, but a little crime is actually good for us, with my husband trying to find police work. There's no openings around here, departments are just too small.

Then Philly may work for you. But note its a city. Truly not much pick up truckin and fishing around here.. At least not like he is used to.. (but there is the crime you are looking for)I think you guys are too far apart in what you want to find a good compromise. Someone is gonna have to give. What about public schools? Any kids? That is an *IMPORTANT* thing..

Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
You can tell you husband that while most of us don't drive pickups (why? owning a pickup mean you'll be moving your friends until they get married), friends are important
Quote:
Those in the city of brotherly love are among the most likely to say their relationships with friends bring them happiness (92 percent) and they're generally happy with their lives at this time (86 percent), while being the least likely by far to agree that they won't get much benefit from the things they do anytime soon (24 percent).
Really? Philadelphia is third happiest city in America - Philadelphia Business Journal
just remember, complaining makes us happy so don't confuse complaining with unhappiness.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-06-2013 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: removed the Frank comment.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
Yes, I am! I figured copy and pasting would be okay, as not a ton of people would be crossing forums? I'm really just trying to get the insider's perspective of each location to make our short list, so I'm posting under each city that shows potential for us. I really want to have a few good candidates to choose from and then start visiting. I remain optimistic that I will find the right place for both of us!!
What places are leaning towards so far?

It seems you guys have interests that are way too different. You want an urban city, and he wants countryside. I don't know of any cities that contain both of those characteristics. You might consider a Western one, in that at least some of those cities out there are outdoor-oriented. Cities like Denver, etc. Maybe you've already posted over there though. It would also be a pick-up truck type of city.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
What places are leaning towards so far?

It seems you guys have interests that are way too different. You want an urban city, and he wants countryside. I don't know of any cities that contain both of those characteristics. You might consider a Western one, in that at least some of those cities out there are outdoor-oriented. Cities like Denver, etc. Maybe you've already posted over there though. It would also be a pick-up truck type of city.
Scroll up 2 posts. We are in agreement here

Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Random thought: the Lehigh Valley?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM

1,685 posts, read 2,132,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Random thought: the Lehigh Valley?
I was going to suggest the same, but she seems to desire a big city. If not, what about Roanoke, Asheville, Louisville, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh? Somewhere in Connecticut? Providence?

It's a tall order here! Does the hubby even want to move?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I was going to suggest the same, but she seems to desire a big city. If not, what about Roanoke, Asheville, Louisville, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh? Somewhere in Connecticut? Providence?

It's a tall order here! Does the hubby even want to move?
I'm going to guess her husband doesn't want to move. The OP says her husband doesn't want to move 'a lot'...but few love to move a lot, so I'll guess he doesn't want to move at all. His hobbies seem to be plowing snow, loves Wisconsin, etc. I'm guessing he has no desire whatsoever to go anywhere.

In short, wherever she finds, it's going to be a hard sale to the husband.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
Quote:
I'm going to guess her husband doesn't want to move. The OP says her husband doesn't want to move 'a lot'...but few love to move a lot, so I'll guess he doesn't want to move at all. His hobbies seem to be plowing snow, loves Wisconsin, etc. I'm guessing he has no desire whatsoever to go anywhere.

In short, wherever she finds, it's going to be a hard sale to the husband.
except that it doesn't sound like he has employment in WI

Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM

85 posts, read 110,356 times
He has employment, just not in law enforcement. He's not using his degrees at all (the other is in forensic science).

We do not plan to have kids, so not too worried about schools.

I know our wants are completely different, but I've gotten positive feedback for us on the Portland and Denver boards. Others suggested Asheville, Seattle, and Albuquerque, but not sure if those are as good of fits. Right now I'm heavily leaning towards Portland. Seems perfect for us.

I will look into the LeHigh Valley. I've never heard of it.

Thank you everyone for your continued insight! It helps so much for narrowing down!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia