U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
He has employment, just not in law enforcement. He's not using his degrees at all (the other is in forensic science).

We do not plan to have kids, so not too worried about schools.

I know our wants are completely different, but I've gotten positive feedback for us on the Portland and Denver boards. Others suggested Asheville, Seattle, and Albuquerque, but not sure if those are as good of fits. Right now I'm heavily leaning towards Portland. Seems perfect for us.

I will look into the LeHigh Valley. I've never heard of it.

Thank you everyone for your continued insight! It helps so much for narrowing down!!
asheville is not a big city by any means. Moderator Cut id suggest a place like lancaster might be a more suitable compromomise than asheville. still if you like portland give pittsburgh a thought. with its three rivers im sure therea fishing and traffix is a joke outside rush hour making it pretty easy to get to the mountains and parks like ohiopyle.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-06-2013 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I was going to suggest the same, but she seems to desire a big city. If not, what about Roanoke, Asheville, Louisville, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh? Somewhere in Connecticut? Providence?

It's a tall order here! Does the hubby even want to move?
I figured the Lehigh Valley would be convenient enough to outdoors options - including further up towards the Pocono Mountains - and urban options down in Philly or even in NYC while having some decent downtowns (Bethlehem in particular; don't really know much about Allentown or Easton) in a small-city metro.

All of your other ideas are certainly worth considering as well!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I figured the Lehigh Valley would be convenient enough to outdoors options - including further up towards the Pocono Mountains - and urban options down in Philly or even in NYC while having some decent downtowns (Bethlehem in particular; don't really know much about Allentown or Easton) in a small-city metro.

I agree. This area just may be what the op is looking for...

Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,852,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post

The Lehigh Valley would probably be more of a compromise favoring the husband. I know Allentown is the state's 3rd largest city but it's no comparison to Philly when it comes to amenities.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 PM

175 posts, read 241,880 times
I have been to all of the cities you have mentioned. You guys will probably love Portland. Let me also suggest Seattle and maybe even Denver.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,696,815 times
I was going to say, based on the weather requirements... That sounds like the west coast.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 PM

1,685 posts, read 2,132,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The Lehigh Valley would probably be more of a compromise favoring the husband. I know Allentown is the state's 3rd largest city but it's no comparison to Philly when it comes to amenities.
To me the husband giving up the country life to be 1.5 hours to Philly and 2 to NYC ain't no little compromise; she'd have to sacrifice the cosmopolitan lifestyle, but only for daily activities. Two major metros are within a day, evening or weekend visit. Neither one can have it all.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 PM

96 posts, read 211,523 times
This is all I want to say, to make you better understand about Philadelphia, because I see some misconceptions like, the crime is high, yes, while that is true, the crime is not everywhere, plus I'm not sure if you're familiar with ghettos, like I am, but 90% of people in the Philadelphia ghettos are good people that's just trying to get by in life, Like You! 10% are wolfs but most likely if you go up to a 7 year old in North Philly, she's not going to pull an AK-47 at you... You know... Like what you're thinking a ghetto is, I'm sure... It just doesn't work out like that, that's what people think ghettos is, just everybody have guns, everybody going to kill you, etc. That's ignorant.. also the mayor said (Michael Nutter) that most murders is from people that know each other (beefs) or the drug trade, and I don't think you'll be into that... My cautions are, just to never show money in bad neighborhoods and don't walk up and start nothing with suspicious looking people.

I also took some Google Map pictures for you (Not really) but here's some nice photos of a Philly neighborhood, that I suggest, you may love!

Rhawnhurst - It's a good housing market and have everything you need in the neighborhood plus you can travel easily to the downtown and even have a regional rail nearby (You know, because Philadelphia has won the 2012 best transit award!!!!)

"I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals" EVERYTHING IS HERE! IN PHILADELPHIA! Start your own garden in your own Grass!!!! Wooo!!!!! Start from scratch, plan your garden out! Also, Philly is not that COLD of a city like Detroit, no pun intended. Wouldn't you love living here? Imagine living here... Your new house...!

Now imagine going to a restaurant (In your own neighborhood) with your husband!...

The schools are okay but you could always send your kids to magnet schools!!! Which are GREAT!!! This is not even 1/100th of the city and I bet you're loving the idea of moving here (maybe) and enjoy the
Enjoy the Mummers Parade, the oldest folk festival in the United States! Every New Year's Day!!! Made in America!!! Alot of independent musicians too (Rock, country, alternative, electronic, pop), even rappers if you're into that. reddit.com/r/philadelphia meet ups to meet new people, if you're into freaky-deaky stuff, there's alot of ... Um... Craigslist people that love couple switching... Sorry. lol

Look at the transportation, I think it's Fox Chase to 30th street (Basically downtown) Fox Chase is the neighborhood right next to Rhawnhurst... this is just ONE neighborhood out the bunches you can choose from, all having unique characteristics and details about them.

The Full 2012 Best Transit System, Goes to suburbs.... out of town... new jersey surburbs, new york... Delaware county, berks county, norristown, Montgomery county... airport...downtown... west philly... north philly, south philly, etc.

I'm JUST TELLING YOU, YOU'LL LOVE IT HERE!!! YOU CAN ENJOY THE GREAT URBAN CITY LIFE WHILE STILL BEING IN A SAFE, CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT AND PHILADELPHIA IS ONLY GETTING BETTER!!! PLUS YOU KNOW PHILADELPHIA HAVE PRIDE WHEN I WRITE AND DO ALL THIS JUST SO TWO PEOPLE CAN HAVE CHANGED OPINIONS ABOUT IT!!! FULL OF AMENTIES!!!! AND STUFF TO DO, ALL YEAR LONG FOR LIKE, TILL YOU'RE SO OVER-EXCITED THAT YOU JUST WANT TO REST!!! also get a cheesesteak <3 from anywhere, they all good to me...

Random Pictures...

Fox Chase

University City/Good Part of West Philadelphia

My 2 Story, Nice little urban area house that my parents own in Overbrook (Cause I'm 16, Surprise!)

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... one of my fav shows, Beyond the name, its a great show, Season 10 about to come out...

Historic Place.... American Street, Center City...

If you move here then, this is my... Welcome to Philadelphia!

Last edited by rofl33cat; 09-07-2013 at 12:32 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 AM

19 posts, read 21,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
asheville is not a big city by any means. Moderator Cut id suggest a place like lancaster might be a more suitable compromomise than asheville. still if you like portland give pittsburgh a thought. with its three rivers im sure therea fishing and traffix is a joke outside rush hour making it pretty easy to get to the mountains and parks like ohiopyle.
Agreed. Asheville is a town, clearly, with a well-developed yet still somewhat mixed downtown area. There are some original hippies, some new hippies and lots of wanna-be whatevers.

Still, a fun area. That said, cost of living there is on the uptick.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
He has employment, just not in law enforcement. He's not using his degrees at all (the other is in forensic science).

We do not plan to have kids, so not too worried about schools.

I know our wants are completely different, but I've gotten positive feedback for us on the Portland and Denver boards. Others suggested Asheville, Seattle, and Albuquerque, but not sure if those are as good of fits. Right now I'm heavily leaning towards Portland. Seems perfect for us.

I will look into the LeHigh Valley. I've never heard of it.

Thank you everyone for your continued insight! It helps so much for narrowing down!!
Yes, I would agree with all of those cities. They are all outdoors-oriented as well. So, you could have that ideal mix of both of your worlds meeting in the same city.

Regarding Philadelphia, I think it might be your cup of tea, but might not have as much as cities 'Out West' that would fit more with your husband's interests, but that would also be your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia