U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Reputation: 9618

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
asheville is not a big city by any means. Moderator Cut id suggest a place like lancaster might be a more suitable compromomise than asheville. still if you like portland give pittsburgh a thought. with its three rivers im sure therea fishing and traffix is a joke outside rush hour making it pretty easy to get to the mountains and parks like ohiopyle.
Pittsburgh is a great suggestion. Plus, it seems like while they are a city with all the sports teams and everything else, I also associate them with deer-hunting and other outdoors-like types of things.

Not knowing the OP's personality type, but if he likes small-town Wisconsin, I'd imagine the city of Pittsburgh would have people similar to what he is comfortable with, PLUS it would have that more urban nature that the OP seems to need and want.

It certainly seems very worthy of being added to the list anyways. (I've lived in Portland Oregon myself, and I'm a huge fan of Pittsburgh as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2013, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Reputation: 9618
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post
This is all I want to say, to make you better understand about Philadelphia, because I see some misconceptions like, the crime is high, yes, while that is true, the crime is not everywhere, plus I'm not sure if you're familiar with ghettos, like I am, but 90% of people in the Philadelphia ghettos are good people that's just trying to get by in life, Like You! 10% are wolfs but most likely if you go up to a 7 year old in North Philly, she's not going to pull an AK-47 at you... You know... Like what you're thinking a ghetto is, I'm sure... It just doesn't work out like that, that's what people think ghettos is, just everybody have guns, everybody going to kill you, etc. That's ignorant.. also the mayor said (Michael Nutter) that most murders is from people that know each other (beefs) or the drug trade, and I don't think you'll be into that... My cautions are, just to never show money in bad neighborhoods and don't walk up and start nothing with suspicious looking people.

I also took some Google Map pictures for you (Not really) but here's some nice photos of a Philly neighborhood, that I suggest, you may love!

Rhawnhurst - It's a good housing market and have everything you need in the neighborhood plus you can travel easily to the downtown and even have a regional rail nearby (You know, because Philadelphia has won the 2012 best transit award!!!!)

"I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals" EVERYTHING IS HERE! IN PHILADELPHIA! Start your own garden in your own Grass!!!! Wooo!!!!! Start from scratch, plan your garden out! Also, Philly is not that COLD of a city like Detroit, no pun intended. Wouldn't you love living here? Imagine living here... Your new house...!



Now imagine going to a restaurant (In your own neighborhood) with your husband!...



The schools are okay but you could always send your kids to magnet schools!!! Which are GREAT!!! This is not even 1/100th of the city and I bet you're loving the idea of moving here (maybe) and enjoy the
Enjoy the Mummers Parade, the oldest folk festival in the United States! Every New Year's Day!!! Made in America!!! Alot of independent musicians too (Rock, country, alternative, electronic, pop), even rappers if you're into that. reddit.com/r/philadelphia meet ups to meet new people, if you're into freaky-deaky stuff, there's alot of ... Um... Craigslist people that love couple switching... Sorry. lol

Look at the transportation, I think it's Fox Chase to 30th street (Basically downtown) Fox Chase is the neighborhood right next to Rhawnhurst... this is just ONE neighborhood out the bunches you can choose from, all having unique characteristics and details about them.



The Full 2012 Best Transit System, Goes to suburbs.... out of town... new jersey surburbs, new york... Delaware county, berks county, norristown, Montgomery county... airport...downtown... west philly... north philly, south philly, etc.


I'm JUST TELLING YOU, YOU'LL LOVE IT HERE!!! YOU CAN ENJOY THE GREAT URBAN CITY LIFE WHILE STILL BEING IN A SAFE, CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT AND PHILADELPHIA IS ONLY GETTING BETTER!!! PLUS YOU KNOW PHILADELPHIA HAVE PRIDE WHEN I WRITE AND DO ALL THIS JUST SO TWO PEOPLE CAN HAVE CHANGED OPINIONS ABOUT IT!!! FULL OF AMENTIES!!!! AND STUFF TO DO, ALL YEAR LONG FOR LIKE, TILL YOU'RE SO OVER-EXCITED THAT YOU JUST WANT TO REST!!! also get a cheesesteak <3 from anywhere, they all good to me...

Random Pictures...

Fox Chase


University City/Good Part of West Philadelphia


My 2 Story, Nice little urban area house that my parents own in Overbrook (Cause I'm 16, Surprise!)


It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... one of my fav shows, Beyond the name, its a great show, Season 10 about to come out...



Historic Place.... American Street, Center City...



If you move here then, this is my... Welcome to Philadelphia!


Love the photos and write-up! You're really tapping exactly into the types of things that I LIKE about a city!! And yes, Philadelphia has a lot of what I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 AM
 
19 posts, read 21,214 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post
This is all I want to say, to make you better understand about Philadelphia, because I see some misconceptions like, the crime is high, yes, while that is true, the crime is not everywhere, plus I'm not sure if you're familiar with ghettos, like I am, but 90% of people in the Philadelphia ghettos are good people that's just trying to get by in life, Like You! 10% are wolfs but most likely if you go up to a 7 year old in North Philly, she's not going to pull an AK-47 at you... You know... Like what you're thinking a ghetto is, I'm sure... It just doesn't work out like that, that's what people think ghettos is, just everybody have guns, everybody going to kill you, etc. That's ignorant.. also the mayor said (Michael Nutter) that most murders is from people that know each other (beefs) or the drug trade, and I don't think you'll be into that... My cautions are, just to never show money in bad neighborhoods and don't walk up and start nothing with suspicious looking people.

I also took some Google Map pictures for you (Not really) but here's some nice photos of a Philly neighborhood, that I suggest, you may love!

Rhawnhurst - It's a good housing market and have everything you need in the neighborhood plus you can travel easily to the downtown and even have a regional rail nearby (You know, because Philadelphia has won the 2012 best transit award!!!!)

"I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals" EVERYTHING IS HERE! IN PHILADELPHIA! Start your own garden in your own Grass!!!! Wooo!!!!! Start from scratch, plan your garden out! Also, Philly is not that COLD of a city like Detroit, no pun intended. Wouldn't you love living here? Imagine living here... Your new house...!



Now imagine going to a restaurant (In your own neighborhood) with your husband!...



The schools are okay but you could always send your kids to magnet schools!!! Which are GREAT!!! This is not even 1/100th of the city and I bet you're loving the idea of moving here (maybe) and enjoy the
Enjoy the Mummers Parade, the oldest folk festival in the United States! Every New Year's Day!!! Made in America!!! Alot of independent musicians too (Rock, country, alternative, electronic, pop), even rappers if you're into that. reddit.com/r/philadelphia meet ups to meet new people, if you're into freaky-deaky stuff, there's alot of ... Um... Craigslist people that love couple switching... Sorry. lol

Look at the transportation, I think it's Fox Chase to 30th street (Basically downtown) Fox Chase is the neighborhood right next to Rhawnhurst... this is just ONE neighborhood out the bunches you can choose from, all having unique characteristics and details about them.



The Full 2012 Best Transit System, Goes to suburbs.... out of town... new jersey surburbs, new york... Delaware county, berks county, norristown, Montgomery county... airport...downtown... west philly... north philly, south philly, etc.


I'm JUST TELLING YOU, YOU'LL LOVE IT HERE!!! YOU CAN ENJOY THE GREAT URBAN CITY LIFE WHILE STILL BEING IN A SAFE, CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT AND PHILADELPHIA IS ONLY GETTING BETTER!!! PLUS YOU KNOW PHILADELPHIA HAVE PRIDE WHEN I WRITE AND DO ALL THIS JUST SO TWO PEOPLE CAN HAVE CHANGED OPINIONS ABOUT IT!!! FULL OF AMENTIES!!!! AND STUFF TO DO, ALL YEAR LONG FOR LIKE, TILL YOU'RE SO OVER-EXCITED THAT YOU JUST WANT TO REST!!! also get a cheesesteak <3 from anywhere, they all good to me...

Random Pictures...

Fox Chase


University City/Good Part of West Philadelphia


My 2 Story, Nice little urban area house that my parents own in Overbrook (Cause I'm 16, Surprise!)


It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... one of my fav shows, Beyond the name, its a great show, Season 10 about to come out...



Historic Place.... American Street, Center City...



If you move here then, this is my... Welcome to Philadelphia!


With so much going on and getting ready for my move up there, I needed to see this. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjherman View Post
With so much going on and getting ready for my move up there, I needed to see this. Thank you.

Do people honestly think every house in Philly looks like this??? You have to be serious. I love hoe residrnts try to BS others into thinking Philly is like that! its hilarious.. Why is it at the top of every crime list and why is the school system going bankrupt and the city is billions in the red? The pics you post are clearly not the majority of what is in Philly. This is what you will see mostly

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=philadelphia&ll=40.024878,-75.142335&spn=0.005275,0.011362&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Philadelphia,+Pennsylvania&gl=us&t=m&z=17& layer=c&cbll=40.024878,-75.142335&panoid=7Eoe_cQkY7bzwtIAqy0swQ&cbp=12,27. 23,,0,8.75

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...,82.78,,0,2.89

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...87.88,,0,13.09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Do people honestly think every house in Philly looks like this??? You have to be serious. I love hoe residrnts try to BS others into thinking Philly is like that! its hilarious.. Why is it at the top of every crime list and why is the school system going bankrupt and the city is billions in the red? The pics you post are clearly not the majority of what is in Philly. This is what you will see mostly

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=philadelphia&ll=40.024878,-75.142335&spn=0.005275,0.011362&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Philadelphia,+Pennsylvania&gl=us&t=m&z=17& layer=c&cbll=40.024878,-75.142335&panoid=7Eoe_cQkY7bzwtIAqy0swQ&cbp=12,27. 23,,0,8.75

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...,82.78,,0,2.89

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...87.88,,0,13.09
The thing is: your fellow members are unlikely to recommend living in the places that you mapped out. I would predict if a prospective resident posted about an "amazing" deal of a home for $50K, even $100K or less, many of us would tell them to think twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 12:58 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The thing is: your fellow members are unlikely to recommend living in the places that you mapped out. I would predict if a prospective resident posted about an "amazing" deal of a home for $50K, even $100K or less, many of us would tell them to think twice.

That is right but its pure injustice to post pics like that and other who don't know better actually thinking Philly is all cottonballs and pussycats..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,674 posts, read 10,248,929 times
Reputation: 9523
So, just to be clear, when rofl33cat posts a handful of pictures, he is ridiculed for misrepresenting Philly, but when frankgn does the same, he is providing a public service. Do I have that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
So, just to be clear, when rofl33cat posts a handful of pictures, he is ridiculed for misrepresenting Philly, but when frankgn does the same, he is providing a public service. Do I have that right?

correct. In other words i am not allowed to post nasty homes, only pretty ones..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Center City
7,087 posts, read 8,218,872 times
Reputation: 10154
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Do people honestly think every house in Philly looks like this??? You have to be serious. I love hoe residrnts try to BS others into thinking Philly is like that! its hilarious.. Why is it at the top of every crime list and why is the school system going bankrupt and the city is billions in the red? The pics you post are clearly not the majority of what is in Philly. This is what you will see mostly

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=philadelphia&ll=40.024878,-75.142335&spn=0.005275,0.011362&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Philadelphia,+Pennsylvania&gl=us&t=m&z=17& layer=c&cbll=40.024878,-75.142335&panoid=7Eoe_cQkY7bzwtIAqy0swQ&cbp=12,27. 23,,0,8.75

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...,82.78,,0,2.89

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...87.88,,0,13.09
As Tone stated, it is hard for me to believe any regular posters would recommend the neighborhoods you choose to highlight to the OP. Philly, like every city I've ever lived in, has its rundown and dangerous neighborhoods. Perhaps if you never lived anywhere but metro Philly, you are not aware this phenomenon is true everywhere. And I need to refute your comment "This is what you will see mostly." In every other city I've lived in, it is possible to spend all your entire life without ever coming up with a reason to visit these rundown areas. The same rule has held true for us in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 PM
 
96 posts, read 211,523 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Do people honestly think every house in Philly looks like this??? You have to be serious. I love hoe residrnts try to BS others into thinking Philly is like that! its hilarious.. Why is it at the top of every crime list and why is the school system going bankrupt and the city is billions in the red? The pics you post are clearly not the majority of what is in Philly. This is what you will see mostly

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=philadelphia&ll=40.024878,-75.142335&spn=0.005275,0.011362&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Philadelphia,+Pennsylvania&gl=us&t=m&z=17& layer=c&cbll=40.024878,-75.142335&panoid=7Eoe_cQkY7bzwtIAqy0swQ&cbp=12,27. 23,,0,8.75

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...,82.78,,0,2.89

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=phila...87.88,,0,13.09
HELLO!!! I showed my OWN house! That I LIVE IN!



I'm not showing misconceptions, there's a thing called "Ghettos"... That I pointed out (First paragraph), there's a thing called urban areas (Where i live, a normal person that came from nothing!) and i tried to show a great neighborhood... Rhawnhurst, which I suggested he moved in and I tried to knock down all the lame misconceptions of philly and ghettos. Here's my old houses that I lived in (some of them)

Wilson Park Projects (2 bedroom)



135 Hobart Street (3 bedroom)



I hope once I'm 18, I can go to college and rent out a house with roommates that look like this:"



Then live my life... and have fun, go to a few concerts with my "day ones" and a romantic date at a restaurant with my girlfriend. I'm not worried about random abandoned houses leftover by the middle class that left these places about 50/40/30/20 years ago (THAT NOBODY LIVE IN...) like you, Who would move in those abandoned houses anyways?... Nobody, that's why I took the OP into Rhawnhurst... plus more neighborhoods that's similar and safe but unique and special, just like that neighborhood, with their standards of living, how they like/want to live. Stop making philly look bad also, it's a Alpha+ ranking city. Ghettos are in every city!

Oh yeah, Random pictures of where my friends live... Just for your entertainment, that "ALL GHETTOS LOOK LIKE ABANONDED HOUSES!!!!!! OMFGGGGG!"

Random friend's houses

East Germantown (a ghetto), Girlfriend.



North Philadelphia (Brewerytown, I think) (a ghetto), a female friend.



These houses in ghettos are spacious inside!!! Some "ghetto" houses are three stories high... 5-8 bedrooms... plus if you stay out of trouble, you're basically living in a downtown house, for certain houses! That's it. Ghettos aren't that bad in Philadelphia and Urban areas, are great, and the suburbs is better, and the downtown areas and surrounding the downtown are the best!

Once again, Welcome to Philadelphia!






Last edited by rofl33cat; 09-07-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top