U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 PM
 
96 posts, read 211,523 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
So, just to be clear, when rofl33cat posts a handful of pictures, he is ridiculed for misrepresenting Philly, but when frankgn does the same, he is providing a public service. Do I have that right?
He's misrepresenting Philly because he's just showing abandoned houses and not the normal blocks where people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 PM
 
6,794 posts, read 14,234,401 times
Reputation: 3169
Louisville is the answer here. All the big city amenities except pro sports. Half the price, friendlier people, and less traffic. Big enough to be a big city but small enough to be a small town.

You likely will not find another city its size, especially one that is not well known, with as many diffferent urban, rejuvenating, walkable districts.

My favorite neighborhoods are here:

Neighborhoods | New2Lou

Even Louisville's southern Indiana suburbs are getting in on the act. Downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville In are cute little neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,996 posts, read 37,260,847 times
Reputation: 9618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is the answer here. All the big city amenities except pro sports. Half the price, friendlier people, and less traffic. Big enough to be a big city but small enough to be a small town.

You likely will not find another city its size, especially one that is not well known, with as many diffferent urban, rejuvenating, walkable districts.

My favorite neighborhoods are here:

Neighborhoods | New2Lou

Even Louisville's southern Indiana suburbs are getting in on the act. Downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville In are cute little neighborhoods.
I would agree with Louisville. Others in that same vein would be Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Those and Louisville are all kind of 'sister cities'...mostly built up before the car, and along rivers. All three created those walkable neighborhoods that aren't so common in many newer American cities.

Philadelphia is kind of the 'mother' of them though. All that on to a whole other level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,487,882 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post
This is all I want to say, to make you better understand about Philadelphia, because I see some misconceptions like, the crime is high, yes, while that is true, the crime is not everywhere, plus I'm not sure if you're familiar with ghettos, like I am, but 90% of people in the Philadelphia ghettos are good people that's just trying to get by in life, Like You! 10% are wolfs but most likely if you go up to a 7 year old in North Philly, she's not going to pull an AK-47 at you... You know... Like what you're thinking a ghetto is, I'm sure... It just doesn't work out like that, that's what people think ghettos is, just everybody have guns, everybody going to kill you, etc. That's ignorant.. also the mayor said (Michael Nutter) that most murders is from people that know each other (beefs) or the drug trade, and I don't think you'll be into that... My cautions are, just to never show money in bad neighborhoods and don't walk up and start nothing with suspicious looking people.

I also took some Google Map pictures for you (Not really) but here's some nice photos of a Philly neighborhood, that I suggest, you may love!

Rhawnhurst - It's a good housing market and have everything you need in the neighborhood plus you can travel easily to the downtown and even have a regional rail nearby (You know, because Philadelphia has won the 2012 best transit award!!!!)

"I like: 50-80-degree range of temperatures, good mass transit (or at least good walkability and bike-ability), city amenities (like festivals, restaurants ,parks), walking my dog, gardening, wearing sandals" EVERYTHING IS HERE! IN PHILADELPHIA! Start your own garden in your own Grass!!!! Wooo!!!!! Start from scratch, plan your garden out! Also, Philly is not that COLD of a city like Detroit, no pun intended. Wouldn't you love living here? Imagine living here... Your new house...!



Now imagine going to a restaurant (In your own neighborhood) with your husband!...



The schools are okay but you could always send your kids to magnet schools!!! Which are GREAT!!! This is not even 1/100th of the city and I bet you're loving the idea of moving here (maybe) and enjoy the
Enjoy the Mummers Parade, the oldest folk festival in the United States! Every New Year's Day!!! Made in America!!! Alot of independent musicians too (Rock, country, alternative, electronic, pop), even rappers if you're into that. reddit.com/r/philadelphia meet ups to meet new people, if you're into freaky-deaky stuff, there's alot of ... Um... Craigslist people that love couple switching... Sorry. lol

Look at the transportation, I think it's Fox Chase to 30th street (Basically downtown) Fox Chase is the neighborhood right next to Rhawnhurst... this is just ONE neighborhood out the bunches you can choose from, all having unique characteristics and details about them.



The Full 2012 Best Transit System, Goes to suburbs.... out of town... new jersey surburbs, new york... Delaware county, berks county, norristown, Montgomery county... airport...downtown... west philly... north philly, south philly, etc.


I'm JUST TELLING YOU, YOU'LL LOVE IT HERE!!! YOU CAN ENJOY THE GREAT URBAN CITY LIFE WHILE STILL BEING IN A SAFE, CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT AND PHILADELPHIA IS ONLY GETTING BETTER!!! PLUS YOU KNOW PHILADELPHIA HAVE PRIDE WHEN I WRITE AND DO ALL THIS JUST SO TWO PEOPLE CAN HAVE CHANGED OPINIONS ABOUT IT!!! FULL OF AMENTIES!!!! AND STUFF TO DO, ALL YEAR LONG FOR LIKE, TILL YOU'RE SO OVER-EXCITED THAT YOU JUST WANT TO REST!!! also get a cheesesteak <3 from anywhere, they all good to me...

Random Pictures...

Fox Chase


University City/Good Part of West Philadelphia


My 2 Story, Nice little urban area house that my parents own in Overbrook (Cause I'm 16, Surprise!)


It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... one of my fav shows, Beyond the name, its a great show, Season 10 about to come out...



Historic Place.... American Street, Center City...



If you move here then, this is my... Welcome to Philadelphia!


Great post! Your positive attitude about Philadelphia is infectious! The OP should definitely consider Philadelphia, as you've laid out it's a great city that could make a great compromise.

Others can post sob stories and pictures of busted up ghettos and paint their one sided inaccurate pictures of Philadelphia. But while those ghettos do exist and Philadelphia has its problems, it also has all of the many positives that you listed!

No matter how negative others may get it can't invalidate my love of the city and the amazing experiences I've had living here.

And while those negative people can claim that our optimistic views of Philadelphia are just as one sided as their negative views I do not believe that to be true. If anyone has lived in this city for the past 30 years and wants to honestly tell me that the city has gotten worse in that time than they should have their heads examined. Neighborhoods have gone up and neighborhoods have gone down in that time period, but overall the city is today a much healthier and more powerful city than it was in the 80s. It's not one sided to say Philadelphia is getting better, it's factually correct by virtually every measurable statistic.

And even if you think my view of the city isn't accurate at least my view is positive. I try to make Philadelphia a better place and I come here because I want to talk about the city I love with others who love it. What kind of person would spend so much of their aggressively bashing a place that so many people love? Even if they felt it to be true, why would they devote so much of their time to be so negative. Seems like a really sad life.

EDIT: As a side note, I spent much of my child hood a few blocks away from where you live at my aunt and uncle's house who lived on simpson st and girard. The area always feels like home to me. While I don't see any problem with sharing the neighborhood you live in, posting pictures of your actual house that you currently live in could be a big mistake. I get your enthusiasm! but you can never be too careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

EDIT: As a side note, I spent much of my child hood a few blocks away from where you live at my aunt and uncle's house who lived on simpson st and girard. The area always feels like home to me. While I don't see any problem with sharing the neighborhood you live in, posting pictures of your actual house that you currently live in could be a big mistake. I get your enthusiasm! but you can never be too careful.

I agree. If I were you Id remove it.. Ya never know what others can do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM
 
96 posts, read 211,523 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Great post! Your positive attitude about Philadelphia is infectious! The OP should definitely consider Philadelphia, as you've laid out it's a great city that could make a great compromise.

Others can post sob stories and pictures of busted up ghettos and paint their one sided inaccurate pictures of Philadelphia. But while those ghettos do exist and Philadelphia has its problems, it also has all of the many positives that you listed!

No matter how negative others may get it can't invalidate my love of the city and the amazing experiences I've had living here.

And while those negative people can claim that our optimistic views of Philadelphia are just as one sided as their negative views I do not believe that to be true. If anyone has lived in this city for the past 30 years and wants to honestly tell me that the city has gotten worse in that time than they should have their heads examined. Neighborhoods have gone up and neighborhoods have gone down in that time period, but overall the city is today a much healthier and more powerful city than it was in the 80s. It's not one sided to say Philadelphia is getting better, it's factually correct by virtually every measurable statistic.

And even if you think my view of the city isn't accurate at least my view is positive. I try to make Philadelphia a better place and I come here because I want to talk about the city I love with others who love it. What kind of person would spend so much of their aggressively bashing a place that so many people love? Even if they felt it to be true, why would they devote so much of their time to be so negative. Seems like a really sad life.

EDIT: As a side note, I spent much of my child hood a few blocks away from where you live at my aunt and uncle's house who lived on simpson st and girard. The area always feels like home to me. While I don't see any problem with sharing the neighborhood you live in, posting pictures of your actual house that you currently live in could be a big mistake. I get your enthusiasm! but you can never be too careful.
Thanks but they won't let me edit it lol but I'll try to like call the admin or something with a message and I was just tryna tell that, the normal people of Philadelphia don't live in vacant crackhouses and all that....... (Cause the people that lives in crackhouses isn't raised normal [Crackheads] and stuff) and lol Damn my house on PHILLY FORUMS D:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM
 
180 posts, read 507,036 times
Reputation: 201
I grew up in Cincinnati and spent a long time in Louisville. They're both great cities, and crazy low cost of living. They both also have terrible areas where you'd never want to find yourself alone - or even in a group!

I'm moving to Philly in a couple weeks, and am very excited to be there! I bet it's very similar to Cincy in that if I stay out of the bad areas, I'll be fine. The single time I have been victimized (mugging) I was in a not-so-great part of Cincy in the middle of the night, and attacked by a group of 6 or 7 teenagers. It certainly wasn't my fault, but with a little forethought I could have avoided that situation.

And you're right, Tiger Beer ... I always thought of Philly as Cincy's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I would agree with Louisville. Others in that same vein would be Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Those and Louisville are all kind of 'sister cities'...mostly built up before the car, and along rivers. All three created those walkable neighborhoods that aren't so common in many newer American cities.

Philadelphia is kind of the 'mother' of them though. All that on to a whole other level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Oshkosh
85 posts, read 110,356 times
Reputation: 49
A little off topic, but of all the threads like this I've posted on the different city boards, this one is by far the most active, which I very much appreciate! 7 pages already! The next closest has, I think 2 pages.

Wonder if that says anything about Philly...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 AM
 
268 posts, read 314,241 times
Reputation: 185
Yep, I do think there's a bit of Philly character in Cincy. That said, we're planning on moving from Cincy to Philly. We want the real deal.

There's a lot (and I mean a lot) of local character in Cincy that we'll miss, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
 
96 posts, read 211,523 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonil View Post
A little off topic, but of all the threads like this I've posted on the different city boards, this one is by far the most active, which I very much appreciate! 7 pages already! The next closest has, I think 2 pages.

Wonder if that says anything about Philly...?
It's just the miscommunication of some people of philly not being on the same page, eye to eye. So we tend to disagree then I have to persuade you again (since you're the OP) that 90% of philly isn't abandoned houses and the ghettos aren't as bad as Chicago (where guns are prominent in 13 year old hands, and gangs are notoriously scaring everybody away), and Philly is actually an Alpha+ city with great neighborhoods in it for everyone and you won't get touched in the ghetto even if you strolled past there... Look at this screenshot of a rapper claiming he's in the hood (17st) and then a white person walks past, safely. lol for example, North philly (the hardest side of the city) by the way... xD He's safe because he's minding his business and he's just going on his way, A to B... not selling drugs, not getting into beef, not flashing money, etc. Anyways, i love philly, i would love if somebody wanted to move into the city, it's your choice and everything, still, I'm here for advice, beyond philly. xD and there's a reason Philly is TOP 5 populated city in the US. Also, Enjoy the white person moving through the hood section, safely.









LMAO!!! The hardest section probably too, north of temple! Pure Comedy...

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-11-2013 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted photo and personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top