Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 PM

40 posts, read 82,701 times

Advertisements

Well thats part of Port richmond and safety is all part of your own perspective. I think its okay. the further west closer to kensington the more dangerous but the closer to 95 seems safer. Port Richmond is a blue collar working class neighborhood. Most people are friendly and it has good public transit the 25 and 89 both take you to the el along with the 60 however from my expeirences there i would stay away from K&A. the closer you get to richmond street is the polish neighborhood and west of Aramingo more hispanic. Its actually quite diverse despite what others say. As long as you have decent street smarts you'll be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,520,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
That's Port Richmond. By Philly standards, it's "okay" but it does border some more challenged neighborhoods further north. You may have read here or elsewhere about the Wawa employee that was attacked in the area and how outraged neighbors and other regulars were about it.

Looking at septa.org, I see that the 89 bus goes by there and connects with the Allegheny El station. I think you would be fine during the day but above-average street wisdom may be useful if commuting home from a late shift.
The "more challenged" neighborhoods are to the west.
The woman was attacked @Richmond and Lehigh, nowhere near Aramingo and Westmoreland. Both areas may be "Port Richmond," but it's two different worlds.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 09-11-2013 at 12:05 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I would like to work at Petco. There's one on Aramingo Avenue. Judging by Googlemap Street View, it looks okay. What neighborhood is that? Is it safe? Is access to public transportation good there? No car needed? Thanks.
I know the area very well and it's not bad there, you'll be fine. East of Aramingo is much better than west of Aramingo. The further west you go along Westmoreland, the worse it gets (and it does get bad). The further east you go, the better it gets. You'll deal with a lot of lower class people and poor minorities, but it's not a war zone. Mostly it'll be blue collar people. You'll also see a lot of fat women and bad tattoos. lol You've dealt with DC, this'll be nothing for you. Plenty of public transportation.
After awhile, you'll be able to tell on sight who's from the west side of Aramingo and who's from the east side.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 09-11-2013 at 12:08 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not green. I've lived in DC. Even the city where I live in now - Columbia, SC, - has spots where I wouldn't go, and spots where when I do go I use the eyes in the back of my head. I get the drift. It's not Disney Land in that area. Maybe I'll keep my paid-for 2008 Honda Civic.
You have a car? By all means keep your car and drive to work, there are huge parking lots all over the area.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I would keep the car, but use public transportation if you are working during the day.
Why?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 PM

23 posts, read 36,104 times
I agree with an above poster that you should look at Port Richmond if you are working at Petco...but look at the neighborhoods BELOW Aramingo avenue toward Richmond street...not up the other way. You could then easily walk up Ann Street, Catch the bus and be to Petco in a jiffy...and it's only one token, so it would be inexpensive. Or, you could ride a bike there if you wanted in the Fall/Summer/Spring.

You could also look at Fishtown and easily catch the bus there too. Depends on how much you can spend, and what neighborhood you like.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie8849 View Post
I agree with an above poster that you should look at Port Richmond if you are working at Petco...but look at the neighborhoods BELOW Aramingo avenue toward Richmond street...not up the other way. You could then easily walk up Ann Street, Catch the bus and be to Petco in a jiffy...and it's only one token, so it would be inexpensive. Or, you could ride a bike there if you wanted in the Fall/Summer/Spring.

You could also look at Fishtown and easily catch the bus there too. Depends on how much you can spend, and what neighborhood you like.

Good luck.
I think you mean "look east of Aramingo" and "walk west on Ann." The dividing line goes east/west, not north/south.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
According to the way the streets lie on Google Maps, I'd say "below" Aramingo is the more accurate way to describe the area on the Richmond Street side. That side of Aramingo does look more desirable than the other side for the most part. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
According to the way the streets lie on Google Maps, I'd say "below" Aramingo is the more accurate way to describe the area on the Richmond Street side. That side of Aramingo does look more desirable than the other side for the most part. Thanks.
I live here ... Aramingo runs north/south through Port Richmond and the east side of it is the good side. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:33 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I live here ... Aramingo runs north/south through Port Richmond and the east side of it is the good side. Thanks.
You might want to pull out a map or check out the sun. It clearly runs east-northeast and west-southwest. When I look at the map and think in terms of what's east of Aramingo, that's hard to do because the further east I go there's Aramingo still hanging up there just above where I'm tracing. South-southwest or below Aramingo is where Port Richmond lies. Maybe the road signs say north and south, but that would be because it runs only slightly north and south, as in east-northeast and west-southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia