Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

I would like to work at Petco. There's one on Aramingo Avenue. Judging by Googlemap Street View, it looks okay. What neighborhood is that? Is it safe? Is access to public transportation good there? No car needed? Thanks.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-05-2013 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling of Aramingo in post and title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
I would guess that would depend on you and what you consider 'safe". no?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I would guess that would depend on you and what you consider 'safe". no?
Maybe you're right, but I've hung out in the Philly threads enough that I would expect that answer from you no matter what. No offense. Does anyone else have any input?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I would like to work at Petco. There's one on Aramingo Avenue. Judging by Googlemap Street View, it looks okay. What neighborhood is that? Is it safe? Is access to public transportation good there? No car needed? Thanks.
That's Port Richmond. By Philly standards, it's "okay" but it does border some more challenged neighborhoods further north. You may have read here or elsewhere about the Wawa employee that was attacked in the area and how outraged neighbors and other regulars were about it.

Looking at septa.org, I see that the 89 bus goes by there and connects with the Allegheny El station. I think you would be fine during the day but above-average street wisdom may be useful if commuting home from a late shift.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
Quote:
Maybe you're right, but I've hung out in the Philly threads enough that I would expect that answer from you no matter what. No offense. Does anyone else have any input?

I'm being serious. If you lived in North Philly and moved there, it would be safe. If you lived in Somerton and moved there, you would not call it safe.

How can anyone ask if an area is safe when its an individual interpretation as to what 'safe' means

Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Quote:

Moderator Cut
No one is naive enough to think of Philadelphia as "safe" like the 'burbs. It's a city with urban problems.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-05-2013 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Report relevant posts and/or DM a moderator with concerns.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I'm being serious. If you lived in North Philly and moved there, it would be safe. If you lived in Somerton and moved there, you would not call it safe.

How can anyone ask if an area is safe when its an individual interpretation as to what 'safe' means
As the OP is a relative newcomer, they may not necessarily know the difference between the whole swath of North Philly - which includes Port Richmond as well as popular Northern Liberties, stable and gentrifying Fishtown as well as mostly bucolic East Oak Lane which borders Montgomery County - and Somerton, which is but one neighborhood in Northeast Philadelphia.

It's probably best to assume that someone is asking about the safety of a city neighborhood looking for safety by average urban standards...which would admittedly require a different benchmark than average suburban standards.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 PM

I'm not green. I've lived in DC. Even the city where I live in now - Columbia, SC, - has spots where I wouldn't go, and spots where when I do go I use the eyes in the back of my head. I get the drift. It's not Disney Land in that area. Maybe I'll keep my paid-for 2008 Honda Civic.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
I'm not green. I've lived in DC. Even the city where I live in now - Columbia, SC, - has spots where I wouldn't go, and spots where when I do go I use the eyes in the back of my head. I get the drift. It's not Disney Land in that area. Maybe I'll keep my paid-for 2008 Honda Civic.

I would keep the car, but use public transportation if you are working during the day. At night, I would be wary of public transportation.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
I have been shopping on that street for years so it has always seemed safe to me. It is one of Philadelphia's major shopping areas. It isn't Rittenhouse Square. The people who shop and work there seem to be lower economic status and the homes surrounding it are modest but well kept and fully occupied. Car and ped traffic is heavy during business hours. There are branches of all the big box chains from Walmart, Target, Shoprite, Kmart,Lowes Home Depot, fast food etc,etc. so they all think the area is a safe investment. There is a heavy Spanish speaking presence in the area and among the employees. I wouldn't hesitate to take the bus to work there day or night. You will have plenty of company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia