U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Reputation: 8139

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I stay because I like it here. Really. This city fits me like a glove in lots of ways. And yes, I've seen other parts of the country and have been mostly unimpressed. If I win the lottery, I'd move to a better house and also vacate during January and February. Other than that, I'm staying put.
Pretty much how I feel. There are different things I like better in other places like weather and a beach in the city but nowhere has everything Philly and the region has. If I won the lottery I would just travel that much more and buy a doper residence in Center City as my homebase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
I like the gloomy weather.

Philly has nice weather.. Gloomy, no.. Try western Pa if ya want gloomy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 03:19 PM
 
225 posts, read 327,429 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
What keeps long time residents with the means to move out there? oh and lets not forget the corrupted mayors and police........This is a question I want answered...what keeps you in PHILADELPHIA? Besides the philly cheese steak.....
SMH. Why can't you just accept that some of us don't see things the way you do. I can afford to live anywhere I want. I have traveled to most of those places around the world.
All of them have their pluses and minuses. just like Philly does.

I like it here.
I like my home.
I like my community.
I have roots here.
It is just that simple.

Some of you get all caught up on a lot of stuff that, if your honest, has little impact on your personal quality of life. Knock yourself out.

I mean some of you act as if you have some sort of vested interest in getting people to move out, stay out and never set foot in Philadelphia. Why is this so important to you? I have to say I find that attitude strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Reputation: 970
I've been here over 3 years now. I think perhaps I'll be on my way out soon, myself. Philadelphia has its problems - unfortunately the American city has faced some tough times, and among those that are left standing, Philadelphia is as good a place as any, and better than most. Personally, if I were from here, or from its suburbs, I feel like staying here would be the obvious thing to do, unless I had a very specific reason for leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
What keeps long time residents with the means to move out there? oh and lets not forget the corrupted mayors and police........This is a question I want answered...what keeps you in PHILADELPHIA? Besides the philly cheese steak.....
It's one of only a few cities in the US that has real urban. Philly is kind of two cities right beside each other. An incredibly nice core with some deplorable outer neighborhoods. For those who live in the core, why they stay is self evident, it's amazing. For those who live in the bad neighborhoods... because food stamps don't pay for transportation and they'd only be what they were trying to move away from in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM
 
802 posts, read 1,139,073 times
Reputation: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I stay because I like it here. Really. This city fits me like a glove in lots of ways. And yes, I've seen other parts of the country and have been mostly unimpressed. If I win the lottery, I'd move to a better house and also vacate during January and February. Other than that, I'm staying put.
I would do the same if I won the lottery. Philly has it's share of problems but so do many other places. I would buy a 2nd home in a place that's cooler in the summer, as I can put up with winter but I cannot stand the hot & humid summers we've been getting here the past few years.

I like Pittsburgh so I would buy a home there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Too lazy to pack everything and move??

I've posted this question before. If you won the lottery, would you move? If people were honest I would venture its overwhelmingly a YES. But they ain't honest

Oh and you can get excellent cheese steaks out side Philly. OR you can drive to Philly to get a Steves (The best)
Honestly, if I hit the lottery I'd buy in Society Hill.

Be jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHM View Post
I like the gloomy weather.
So do I. I mean, I enjoy a warm spring day, but I REALLY enjoy a grey, fall/winter morning/afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
What keeps long time residents with the means to move out there? oh and lets not forget the corrupted mayors and police........This is a question I want answered...what keeps you in PHILADELPHIA? Besides the philly cheese steak.....
The action and vibrancy. Plus, I live in a good neighborhood and have a mortgage lower than anybody I know. I like being close to Center City and work.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 09-06-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
SMH. Why can't you just accept that some of us don't see things the way you do. I can afford to live anywhere I want. I have traveled to most of those places around the world.
All of them have their pluses and minuses. just like Philly does.

I like it here.
I like my home.
I like my community.
I have roots here.
It is just that simple.

Some of you get all caught up on a lot of stuff that, if your honest, has little impact on your personal quality of life. Knock yourself out.

I mean some of you act as if you have some sort of vested interest in getting people to move out, stay out and never set foot in Philadelphia. Why is this so important to you? I have to say I find that attitude strange.
I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top