U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa & NYC
2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Reputation: 1097

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Philly but spent most of my adult life living outside the city. Moved back in 2005 after getting re-married. I would only live in Center City. Two reasons really, first I enjoy being able to get around with a lot of good dining, drink and socialization, all without the use of my car. Second my wife is a nurse practitioner at a CC Hospital, works through the night and does not drive. If she worked outside the city she would see a significant drop in wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
why would people move? Philadelphia is a pretty good place to live.
since you asked,. The reason we moved is because in 23 years these crimes happened to my family and close neighbor friends.

- 5 our our cars broken into and ransacked.
- we were pick pocketed
- our home burglarized
- attempted car jacking
- various lawn furniture and Christmas decorations stolen from our home
- Neighbor shot and intruder one night on a break in
- Neighbors home was fire bombed and burnt to the ground
- car vandalized 3 times
- garage broken into and many items stolen

And you say "Philadelphia is a pretty good place to live"? Wonder what a pretty bad place would be like?

And we lived in a nice NE Philly neighborhood too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
since you asked,. The reason we moved is because in 23 years these crimes happened to my family and close neighbor friends.

- 5 our our cars broken into and ransacked.
- we were pick pocketed
- our home burglarized
- attempted car jacking
- various lawn furniture and Christmas decorations stolen from our home
- Neighbor shot and intruder one night on a break in
- Neighbors home was fire bombed and burnt to the ground
- car vandalized 3 times
- garage broken into and many items stolen

And you say "Philadelphia is a pretty good place to live"? Wonder what a pretty bad place would be like?

And we lived in a nice NE Philly neighborhood too.
Geez. That's a real string of bad luck. I'm sorry you had to go through all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Phila Pa & NYC
2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
since you asked,. The reason we moved is because in 23 years these crimes happened to my family and close neighbor friends.

- 5 our our cars broken into and ransacked.
- we were pick pocketed
- our home burglarized
- attempted car jacking
- various lawn furniture and Christmas decorations stolen from our home
- Neighbor shot and intruder one night on a break in
- Neighbors home was fire bombed and burnt to the ground
- car vandalized 3 times
- garage broken into and many items stolen

And you say "Philadelphia is a pretty good place to live"? Wonder what a pretty bad place would be like?

And we lived in a nice NE Philly neighborhood too.
Those are pretty good reasons to move and I am sure that nice NE neighborhood was one that was turning quickly. Like I said in my post Center City is currently the only place in the city I would live. Of course my car is safely tucked away in a secured parking garage underneath my building. I also drag my arse out of bed at 4AM to meet my wife at work and walk her home safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
The action and vibrancy. Plus, I live in a good neighborhood and have a mortgage lower than anybody I know. I like being close to Center City and work.
Do you work in Center city larry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Geez. That's a real string of bad luck. I'm sorry you had to go through all that.
You can see why I'm a bit salty about the city now..

Now I don't even have to worry about locking doors.. The difference is shocking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 PM
 
225 posts, read 327,429 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
since you asked,. The reason we moved is because in 23 years these crimes happened to my family and close neighbor friends.

- 5 our our cars broken into and ransacked.
- we were pick pocketed
- our home burglarized
- attempted car jacking
- various lawn furniture and Christmas decorations stolen from our home
- Neighbor shot and intruder one night on a break in
- Neighbors home was fire bombed and burnt to the ground
- car vandalized 3 times
- garage broken into and many items stolen

And you say "Philadelphia is a pretty good place to live"? Wonder what a pretty bad place would be like?

And we lived in a nice NE Philly neighborhood too.
That was your experience in one neighborhood in Philadelphia. Hence your decision to leave.

That has not been and is not my experience in Philadelphia hence my decision to stay.
To each his and her own. What I can't wrap my head around is this.

You moved but you have not moved on. You are like a divorcee who has re-married yet continues to go on and on about the ex. On and on recounting every negative quality and experience you have ever had. On and on jumping in to warn anyone who wants to gets involved with your ex just how rotten a person they are and to stay away.

What you, like the divorcee, seem to have difficulty with is the fact that not everyone is having the same negative experence with your ex that you had. In fact a lot of people love your ex, want to be with your ex and are having a grand old time experiencing all that your ex has to offer. A lot of us are kind of wondering what your problem is that you can't let go. You are out of the relationship as it were so why keep looking back?
I don't really expect and answer. One works out these issues in one's own time and in one's own way. For me it really won't change my opinion of Philadelphia, again to each his and her own. It is just, I have to wonder every time I read on of your posts. I just shake my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,921,816 times
Reputation: 2329
Actually Im trying to save others from having such a horrible experience as we did.. If someone would have done what I am doing now, maybe I would have saved all the headaches and never moved to Philly. Just like others can say how wonderful Philly is, I too have the same right to say its not. Get it?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 PM
 
353 posts, read 685,441 times
Reputation: 193
I was raised in the bad lands....deep in north Philly.....Crime never drove me away from Philly...and as a kid I was the one adding on to messing Philly up....lets just say I was not the best of kids.....and again I was raised in north Philly...I guess I got lucky certain things never happened to me....but I would stay in the streets all hours of the night...no problem....I was the kid that when you would see you would lock your car doors when you drove down by my block..but I get it when things happen to some of us and its like the last straw you cant take it no more.....only thing that drove me away is the lack of things to do....and the fact that most of the time the weather don't allow things to be done and the other issue is the city is not clean at all....

Last edited by Outofthematrix; 09-06-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM
 
225 posts, read 327,429 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Actually Im trying to save others from having such a horrible experience as we did.. If someone would have done what I am doing now, maybe I would have saved all the headaches and never moved to Philly. Just like others can say how wonderful Philly is, I too have the same right to say its not. Get it?..
Got it. The fact is that none of what you have experienced or post about is unique to Philadelphia. Most of us understand that, but hey we all have our vocations. As they say it takes all kinds. I'll just keep giving you the side eye when I see your contributions here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top