Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
Co-Sign both PHLondoner and Johnny P'unk Square's post. They both sum up the matter nicely. All hitting the lottery would do in my case is possibly an upgrade of my digs inside of Philly...maybe. It would not result is a move out to beige vinyl siding land.

Ignorance... Wheres the vinyl here?
Attached Thumbnails
Lets say high crime,the dirty streets and gloomy weather didn't exist in Philly?-is44z7g9bf5kmb.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Yes, isn't it terrible when people make sweeping generalizations about a place?

Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Yes, isn't it terrible when people make sweeping generalizations about a place?

Ouch. Got me... Guilty as charged

Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 AM

56 posts, read 72,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
What's a " MEXICAN BODEGA?"

Seriously though, I live in North Hollywood and it's pretty cool & very hot. I like the way they've developed the NOHO Arts area and some of the theaters and cool people that hang out there. I also enjoy going out to the Westside and the beach areas but it's either too hot or too cold all in the same city.

It was 105 Saturday in the East Valley and maybe like 95 that late afternoon but in the mid 70's out in Palms/Marvista. My friends who wore shorts were cold when we were eating outside just around 6:30-7PM.
As much as I love LA (It's my second home) and even San Francisco I am still considering Philly. I was telling my neighbors the other night that on hot summer nights like this in Philly lot's of people are out in the residential areas and they're sitting on their porches or steps, kids are out and at least 5 ice cream trucks will come through between 7PM & midnight....,along with a Morrones waterice truck.

I miss really good food nearby in walking distance, the pace, the kool factor of the residents, the closeness to other nearby cities, and surprisingly (TO ME) 4 seasons with a little rain. (lol) It hasn't rained in months here. I love it but I just don't feel it anymore. -Shrugs-
Well, you can take the boy out of Philly....

I have a very good friend who grew up in Port Richmond who relocated about 5 years ago to San Diego, he now lives in Carlsbad. He's like the ugly American there, wearing his Flyers/Eagles/Phillies garb all the time, talking up Philly like it was Paris, in that very unmistakable Philadelphia accent of his. Although he constantly breaks my chops about how he's living in paradise, he will then complain about the residents being too laid back, how they put on airs and are too wealthy for his taste (although he's a white collar worker, he is a blue collar guy at heart). I guess when it comes down to it, Philly people are real.

I have to say I love SoCal. Last year, on a visit, I looked at condos and bungalows in San Diego's Pacific Beach neighborhood, a couple of blocks from Mission Bay and a couple of blocks from the ocean. You can see the water from your window. I love it there, it has the walkability and amenities I like, it's like a year round LBI, just much nicer (sorry Jersey). Quite affordable too, considering. As I said previously, La Jolla, overlooking the Pacific, is the nicest place I've been, but is way too $$$. I sometimes think I'm a Californian that was born on the wrong coast, I really do love the Cali lifestyle, but feel if I left here, I would get homesick. I guess I choose a home that overlooks a dumpster instead.

I've been intrigued at how much the temperatures vary in SoCal, depending on your location. You know the east coast, if it's swelteringly hot in NYC, it'll be swelteringly hot in DC.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-10-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Just saw a beautiful shot of the Potomac on MNF. I hope Philly really jumps onto truly developing it's waterfronts and destroying/rebuilding Market East. Also I would love for Comcast to build those "Proposed" 2 towers on Arch st and that they're dedicated to taping television shows in the area.
As you probably already know, Preit has plans to bring in high end retailers to the Gallery, a big makeover and perhaps building offices or condos on top, giving that space some verticality. We'll see if they follow through, but I know they are committed to making the Gallery more sidewalk friendly at the very least. The most exciting proposal I've seen for Market St. is using high tech LCD/LED signs, kind of like Times Square, without all the emphasis on advertising. That would brighten up that area, I like the idea a lot. Put a big display on the Disney hole that say's "Epic Failure".

I don't think I'll ever see movement with Penn's Landing in my lifetime. How many ambitious proposals have fallen through over the last 20 years? Until they deck over 95 and Columbus Blvd., nothing will happen, and the NIMBY'S in Society Hill would fight it tooth and nail, because the unwashed masses will use the quaint streets as a thoroughfare to the riverfront. Doing something aggressive along the Schuylkill, around East Falls would be possibly doable. At least the Schuylkill waterfront in C.C. is getting nice trails and ramps. You know, with Philly it's always baby steps, ambitious projects fail, we couldn't even get a downtown ballpark like just about every other city has.

I didn't know about Comcast's plans. Sounds very cool....

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-10-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
Co-Sign both PHLondoner and Johnny P'unk Square's post. They both sum up the matter nicely. All hitting the lottery would do in my case is possibly an upgrade of my digs inside of Philly...maybe. It would not result is a move out to beige vinyl siding land.
Thanks.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM

225 posts, read 395,090 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by larry bowa
well said! Although, i think a big part is he just likes busting chops ...

Originally Posted by frankgn87

:d:d:d

In all seriousness, I do.. Don't take me all that serious and not to heart when I do. People that do know me in real life(and there are many here that do) know this

Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDarcy View Post
I moved here 4 years ago from Boston. Before that I lived in New York. I've lived in the Bay Area for a year. Philadelphia is my favorite so far.
Wow, you like it better than Boston, "the greatest city in the world"? (according to some locals)

Do you like Boston at all?

I chatted wth a white young male last year who lives in trendy South Boston, whom I believe grew up in the local area, who actually likes Philly. I think he's planning to transfer; I also met someone in the same area a few years ago who's moving to Philly because he likes that is has more diversity than Boston.

But I do hear lots of negatives about Philly here in Boston, with some positives thrown in. Chatted with parents and their high schooler last month visiting Boston colleges, from Virginia. Didn't like their Philly visit for colleges, but Boston really impressed them -- they didn't know much about it or what to expect.

I spent my adolescence in Cherry Hill, so it hurts when people bash on Philly. Loved taking the high speed line to Center City in the 70s, so can really appreciate how far it's come. I get tired of the Boston arrogance at times, although I am truly lucky to live in Boston and New England. Smaller and safer than Philly.

But I liked growing up in my formative years in South Jersey and rooting for Philly teams and for Philly the city.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post
As you probably already know, Preit has plans to bring in high end retailers to the Gallery, a big makeover and perhaps building offices or condos on top, giving that space some verticality. We'll see if they follow through, but I know they are committed to making the Gallery more sidewalk friendly at the very least. The most exciting proposal I've seen for Market St. is using high tech LCD/LED signs, kind of like Times Square, without all the emphasis on advertising. That would brighten up that area, I like the idea a lot. Put a big display on the Disney hole that say's "Epic Failure".

I don't think I'll ever see movement with Penn's Landing in my lifetime. How many ambitious proposals have fallen through over the last 20 years? Until they deck over 95 and Columbus Blvd., nothing will happen, and the NIMBY'S in Society Hill would fight it tooth and nail, because the unwashed masses will use the quaint streets as a thoroughfare to the riverfront. Doing something aggressive along the Schuylkill, around East Falls would be possibly doable. At least the Schuylkill waterfront in C.C. is getting nice trails and ramps. You know, with Philly it's always baby steps, ambitious projects fail, we couldn't even get a downtown ballpark like just about every other city has.

I didn't know about Comcast's plans. Sounds very cool....

I'm looking into opportunities between Philly and NYC for work.. May have to travel back to Cali frequently.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Too lazy to pack everything and move??

I've posted this question before. If you won the lottery, would you move? If people were honest I would venture its overwhelmingly a YES. But they ain't honest

Oh and you can get excellent cheese steaks out side Philly. OR you can drive to Philly to get a Steves (The best)
If I won the lottery, I would actually move INTO the city from the suburbs. Probably won't happen, however, since I rarely play the lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia