Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 AM

56 posts, read 71,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
I'd love to hear about your experience at Bartram HP.
Let me first say that I'm white, but used to have a friend who lived in Strawberry Mansion. He grew up in Hunting Park, I went bar hopping with him in the Badlands a couple of times, where he was well known, and never felt ill at ease. Of course if I wasn't with him, that would be something different.

If you've ever been back in Bartram Homes, you know it's an island. The braintrust who designed it stuck it in the woods, away from public view. It's a no mans land, a place of lawlessness, the wild, wild west.

A few years ago I had a 7pm appt. there, and it was the summer, so it didn't get dark until after 8. When I arrived, if it wasn't for my gps, I would have never found the building, there's no markings and obviously, they all look the same. Another problem, the units have no numbers (stolen?) or names. So here I was, wandering around, not smart. I asked two different people in the hall where the client lived, they knew nothing, which was BS. I was wearing business attire, so they probably thought I was five-0. I called her, she said she hadn't arrived home yet, she'd be about a half hour. I went back to my car.

Look, the open air drug dealing and use didn't bother me (I've been known to partake on occasion), and even the sex act that took place on the hood of a car in full view didn't rattle me. But I was sure getting anxious to get inside. Another call, she was still 15 mins. away, she would call when she got there. I then witnessed a pick up truck parked three spaces away from me get it's window smashed by two guys, who reached in and grabbed a few things and ran. Ten minutes later, I saw three guys run out of a unit with a TV and computer and duck into the woods. It was now a little after 8 and was starting to get dark. Although I personally never felt I was in immediate danger, I had seen enough for a little over an hour, and decided best be on my way.

The client called the office the next day to re-schedule. I asked a black co-worker who grew up in SW (but now lives in Germantown) if he would take the appointment, telling him I was there last night. He said, "You were outside in Bartram for an hour? You're still here?". He refused the appointment.

As far as I know, she never got her appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,887,737 times
WOW! I haven't been in there since January 1984. It was not anything like that. Sex on a car? Smash & Grabs? Break ins? Again I say wow because there were some great families over there....... but that was 3 decades ago.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
WOW! I haven't been in there since January 1984. It was not anything like that. Sex on a car? Smash & Grabs? Break ins? Again I say wow because there were some great families over there....... but that was 3 decades ago.
Yup. For clarification, it was a BJ on the car, and this all took place during daylight. I wonder what happens at night?

There may still be some great families there, but they'd be wise never to leave their unit or look out the window.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,811,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post
I just went over your list again.

Pickpocketing and car jacking isn't what you would consider being attacked?

Both things happened to my wife. She was pick pocketed at Pats steaks and never even knew it., The woman behind her reached into his pocketbook and took her wallet. The jack attempt happened at a store in the NE. Luckily she locks her doors as soon as she gets in.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:32 AM

192 posts, read 159,821 times
It's the "if you won the lottery" statement that cracks me up. The problem with city living isn't for the wealthy--trust me, they have a very nice life--it's for the normal, middle class folks who want a nice school and some decent nearby amenities. If you're wealthy? You buy a lovely condo on Rittenhouse Sq, a sprawling 4000sf mansion in Society Hill, or a quaint row home on a cozy ivy lined block of Fitler Square. You walk to the region's finest dining and culture...you send your kids to the finest private schools...you have a 5 minute stroll to work. Life is good for the urban wealthy.

For me--Who's not that rich? I own a home in one of Philly's most desirable neighborhoods. My wife and I work in the same skyscraper--which is 1 mile away from our front door. We choose each morning between a 5 minute Vespa Ride or a lovely 20 minute walk that includes a stroll through Rittenhouse Square for our grueling daily commute. My wife and I are beer, wine and foodies--and Philly's scene is INCREDIBLY deep right now--and relative to NYC--far more accessible and affordable. All of our friends live in town. Our local park where we picnic each summer weekend is Rittenhouse Square. My main shopping street is Walnut (philly's newbury street).

For the record, questions like this are also backhandedly offensive and borderline ignorant--why would you EVER live there?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,870,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
It's the "if you won the lottery" statement that cracks me up. The problem with city living isn't for the wealthy--trust me, they have a very nice life--it's for the normal, middle class folks who want a nice school and some decent nearby amenities. If you're wealthy? You buy a lovely condo on Rittenhouse Sq, a sprawling 4000sf mansion in Society Hill, or a quaint row home on a cozy ivy lined block of Fitler Square. You walk to the region's finest dining and culture...you send your kids to the finest private schools...you have a 5 minute stroll to work. Life is good for the urban wealthy.

For me--Who's not that rich? I own a home in one of Philly's most desirable neighborhoods. My wife and I work in the same skyscraper--which is 1 mile away from our front door. We choose each morning between a 5 minute Vespa Ride or a lovely 20 minute walk that includes a stroll through Rittenhouse Square for our grueling daily commute. My wife and I are beer, wine and foodies--and Philly's scene is INCREDIBLY deep right now--and relative to NYC--far more accessible and affordable. All of our friends live in town. Our local park where we picnic each summer weekend is Rittenhouse Square. My main shopping street is Walnut (philly's newbury street).

For the record, questions like this are also backhandedly offensive and borderline ignorant--why would you EVER live there?
Very good points.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post

Exactly PHLondoner.

I can afford to buy/live in any (well, maybe not Villanova) suburban town that I choose, lack of money doesn't keep me in Philadelphia. As stated in a previous post, I am not a native, so family or tradition doesn't keep me here. This is where I want to be, I love urban life.

I like to stop around the corner tappies and gastro pubs I frequent along the ever improving Passyunk East corridor and meet friends, and whoopsy, in the event I have too many craft pops, who cares, I'm walking. I like being able to walk everywhere I need within 3 blocks of my house, I do enough driving with my job. I like to walk to the supermarket or beer distributor with my little cart. I like corner deli's and Mexican bodegas. I like pho noodle houses, I like Mediterranean food, I like gourmet pizza (all within a block), I like buying my groceries on 9th St. I like sitting on my step and watching the world go by, I like the fact that I will always get into a conversation when I do. I like seeing bustling life around me, because I find quiet disconcerting. I like being friends with the proliferation of young folks (I'm in my 50's, people my age normally bore me) moving into the area. I like ethnic and economic diversity. I like urban architecture, I like to see the changing skyline from my roof deck. I like public art, I like culture, I like street performers, I like all of the local events I can walk to. I like seeing my neighborhood that was once getting rough around the edges becoming very actively revitalized with rehabs and new condo construction. I like the history under my feet, knowing that people have walked this same path/sidewalk for a couple of hundred years.

The Suburbs:

I don't like chain restaurants, I don't like sports bars (in fact, the fewer TV's, the more I like a place), I don't like shopping malls, I don't like strip malls, I don't like having to use my car to go everywhere, I don't like to spend weekends landscaping/cutting the grass, I don't like having a disconnect with neighbors. I think the suburbs are a slow and painful death.

And yes PHLondoner, the question was an insult. If I won a big powerball jackpot, it would just get me a bigger house. In Philly.

BTW, I see that mansion on Rittenhouse is for sale for 15 mil. Any CD takers?

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-09-2013 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM

What's a " MEXICAN BODEGA?"

Seriously though, I live in North Hollywood and it's pretty cool & very hot. I like the way they've developed the NOHO Arts area and some of the theaters and cool people that hang out there. I also enjoy going out to the Westside and the beach areas but it's either too hot or too cold all in the same city.

It was 105 Saturday in the East Valley and maybe like 95 that late afternoon but in the mid 70's out in Palms/Marvista. My friends who wore shorts were cold when we were eating outside just around 6:30-7PM.
As much as I love LA (It's my second home) and even San Francisco I am still considering Philly. I was telling my neighbors the other night that on hot summer nights like this in Philly lot's of people are out in the residential areas and they're sitting on their porches or steps, kids are out and at least 5 ice cream trucks will come through between 7PM & midnight....,along with a Morrones waterice truck.

I miss really good food nearby in walking distance, the pace, the kool factor of the residents, the closeness to other nearby cities, and surprisingly (TO ME) 4 seasons with a little rain. (lol) It hasn't rained in months here. I love it but I just don't feel it anymore. -Shrugs-

Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Just saw a beautiful shot of the Potomac on MNF. I hope Philly really jumps onto truly developing it's waterfronts and destroying/rebuilding Market East. Also I would love for Comcast to build those "Proposed" 2 towers on Arch st and that they're dedicated to taping television shows in the area.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 PM

225 posts, read 393,438 times
Co-Sign both PHLondoner and Johnny P'unk Square's post. They both sum up the matter nicely. All hitting the lottery would do in my case is possibly an upgrade of my digs inside of Philly...maybe. It would not result is a move out to beige vinyl siding land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia