Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
There are many beautiful, architecturally distinctive buildings in Philadelphia that would fit right into London; one would never know that they come from another city. They include the Franklin Institute (as noted by a poster above), the Free Library of Philadelphia at 1901 Vine Street, the courts building next to the library on Vine Street,.....
Actually the library and family court are pretty accurate reproductions of the French Naval Ministry and the Hotel de Crillion which anchor the Place de la Concorde in Paris. Sometimes it is disconcerting to see these two “imposters” where they shouldn’t be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
. . . London doesn’t really have a “downtown” as we know it in the US.
Neither does Philly, really.

Quote:
The original financial district, called “the City” dates from the 19th century and is filled with Beaux arts buildings that look like the Franklin Institute but packed close together.
Old City was mostly the same (different architecture, maybe) but was largely demo'd to make way for Independence Park

Quote:
The new financial district, the former docklands in the east end is increasingly filling up with glass skyscrapers, not unlike Market West I guess. The neighborhood looks like La Défense in Paris or Frankfurt. in Germany.
As you said, not unlike Market West.

Quote:
Otherwise London is a sprawling, lo-rise city with isolated tall buildings scattered across the landscape.
I wouldn't say that Philly is "just like London" (or Bristol or Dublin) because obviously the architecture is mostly different and London is an important global capital and much larger than Philly but Philadelphia has have some basic similarities with English and some Irish cities - much more so than any other places in Europe.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
"I been told from friends in the UK that have been to Philly say it resembles downtown London..."

Why would you doubt your friends? I used to travel to London frequently on business and would agree - to a point. I have to assume your friends have traveled extensively through the US to make such a statement. I say this because if Philly is the only US city they've visited, it is definitely American and would not be confused with London on a macro scale. Compared with other US cities, however, Philly resembles London more than most (I actually think Boston is a better match - more on that later). If your friends spent time in other places (say Chicago, SF, LA, the sunbelt cities or even busy and hectic NYC) I could see them saying "Now Philly feels more like London than other US cities we've visited." It is tightly packed, has lots of 18th and 19th century architecture in its core, and has beautiful squares here and there where workers sit and enjoy their lunch. Perhaps they even see some similarities between the Parkway and The Mall, with the Art museum subbing for Buckingham Palace? Perhaps Chestnut Hill feels like Hampstead to them? In terms of size, scale and overall vibrancy, however, London dwarfs Philly.

In terms of "feel" I think Boston is the closest match to London among the large US cities. There are a couple of reasons. The first is that Boson, like London, are not gridded in their core. Both cities have "twisty and turny" streets resulting in a sense of surprise around the corner. Adding to this, Boston, like London, have done a great job of making their rivers part of the city, rather than turning their backs on them, as we've done with the Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia