U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 21,213 times

Advertisements

I admit, I am spent from this impending move from South Carolina, but excited to call Philly home. I will be within a few blocks of the Upsal station, as a point of reference.

I am already familiar with McMenamin's and Earth Bread and Brewery and Iron Hill Chestnut Hill. But, I want to know from those who know, any other places worth hitting or must-hits in that general area?

Ethnic food, coffee, corner bars, bakeries, mom and pop shops, anything...

Yep, I have read a great deal online. Now I want to hear from the folks who live there.

Go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 PM

5,674 posts, read 10,248,929 times
Your options are better than they were some years ago, but still not great. There's a very nice little food market around the corner from the Upsal station on Hortter St. - the people are friendly and they have some interesting items as well as a sushi bar. There is a new cafe that opened on Chelten Ave and Pulaski, Rose Petal Cafe or some such name. It's been beautifully finished and are pitching themselves as the go to place for waffles. It's open for lunch and breakfast and they are operating as a byob for dinner on the weekends. I hope they do well but they might be a little pricey for the neighborhood. On Germantown Ave. across from the now shutted Germantown high school, there is an excellent vegetarian cafe called the Nile or Blue Nile or something like that. It's basically vegetarian soul food, and it's cheap and really good. They have a studio attached, so you might find a drumming circle or a yoga class going on when you go in for your food. It's great for takeout.

You have some additional places in Mt. Airy that are off the avenue, like the new Goat Hollow and Tiffin Indian. I need to give Goat Hollow another chance. Ate there once and it was ok, but mainly I don't like that they recycled the name, because it ain't the old Goat Hollow. Tiffin is better for takeout, they get really busy and ignore their dine-in customers in favor of their takeout business, which is why I have sworn it off. The food is good though. I haven't eaten at Bacio's, which is right there as well.

In Chestnut Hill, the Mermaid Inn is worth the experience. It's a really quirky place, and they have music every night. They have a menu, but you don't go there to eat. There are several places up and down the Avenue, the best of which is possibly Heirloom, which is a farm to table type place. It's across from McNallys which is a good place for pub food. The Schmitter is their famous sandwich, just don't tell your cardiologist.

Last edited by maf763; 09-07-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM

5,674 posts, read 10,248,929 times
Couple of other thoughts. Not sure where in SC you are from, but you might want to check out Geechee Girl Rice Cafe on Germantown Ave in Mt. Airy to see how the low country cooking stacks up. I've been meaning to go there for ages, but haven't gotten there yet. There's a nice little coffee shop called Jimmy's a couple of blocks down from there - good sweet tea and very nice people working there. and in Chestnut Hill, Bredenbecks bakery and ice cream is popular.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,882,384 times
I have not been to any of these places myself, as I'm not a big eater outer, but I have heard good things about the Nile Cafe at Germantown and High, All the way Live at Germantown and Walnut Lane, Diane and Tom's on Maplewood Mall, and Rib Crib at Germantown and Washington Lane.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 AM

19 posts, read 21,213 times
I appreciate the thoughts, thanks. I generally cook in most nights. Occasionally though, going out can be nice. Earth Bread is a gem. If you haven't been, go. Really well made flatbreads and solid beers.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,955 times
Heirloom, in Chestnut Hill, is awesome. I think they are BYO - but the food is great. I've also heard that Mica is quite good, however, I've never been.

About a 5 minute drive from Chestnut Hill, is an Italian place called Roberto's, that also has really great food. It's on Bethlehem Pike...I think in either Flourtown or Erdenheim.

Many of my former Chestnut Hill neighbors raved about Cafette - I thought it was just ok.

My favorite bar/restaurant in the area is Earth, Bread and Brewery.

Has anyone ever been to Goat Hollow?

Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,882,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjherman View Post
I appreciate the thoughts, thanks. I generally cook in most nights. Occasionally though, going out can be nice. Earth Bread is a gem. If you haven't been, go. Really well made flatbreads and solid beers.
Yeah - Earth Bread is actually the only sit-down place I've been in the area. I like it so much that on the rare occasion I do go out to eat, I can't help but going here.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,968,132 times
Schmitter and Guiness at McNally's in Chestnut Hill

Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,750,916 times
I only get to Chestnut Hill a few times a year when a friend and I go to Penzey's. We usually eat at The Chestnut Hill Hotel and have their brisket sandwich, which has always been very good. I am not much of a meat eater, but I do like that sandwich. My friend likes it so much that she takes several home.

We have also eaten at Cake and liked that too, just liked the Hotel (I think it is the grill) better and we liked the atmosphere there better, too. The lower lever is good for conversation, just not good if you don't like steps.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,125,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjherman View Post
I admit, I am spent from this impending move from South Carolina, but excited to call Philly home. I will be within a few blocks of the Upsal station, as a point of reference.

I am already familiar with McMenamin's and Earth Bread and Brewery and Iron Hill Chestnut Hill. But, I want to know from those who know, any other places worth hitting or must-hits in that general area?

Ethnic food, coffee, corner bars, bakeries, mom and pop shops, anything...

Yep, I have read a great deal online. Now I want to hear from the folks who live there.

Go.
Welcome to the 'hood. You'll have lots of good choices, among them:
  • Bacio (Italian)
  • CinCin (Asian "fusion")
  • Geechee (sp?) girl (Low Country)
  • Roller's (mainly seafood)
  • (jury's out on Goat Hollow - food's often good, service is often spotty)
  • McMenamin's (sells beer by the six-pack - which shouldn't be a luxury to most people but is to us backward Pennsylvanians)
One thing to be aware of is that some places are BYO and some are cash-only. Call or check the web sites before you go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia