U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 PM

53 posts, read 185,629 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, what are some good neighboring towns around Conshohocken (primary work place)? We're a family of 4, kids aged 3 and 2 so schools will be very important. Is Conshohocken good itself or should we be looking somewhere else? We can afford up to ~$1800 rent and will probably buy within a year or 2. Housing budget is probably in the ~$350-$400 range. I've lived in Scranton 10 years ago right out of college for work so I'm not too familiar with the burbs of Philly.

Is ~1800 good enough for a SFH or are there really nice apartments that we can check out? I'd appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 PM

283 posts, read 367,069 times
I might be able to help. I don't know a ton about Conshohocken so I won't comment. However, I personally think that Phoenixville (about 20 min. from Conshy) might be great for you. I am admittedly a little biased because I am from there, but I really do think it's worth you're while to look into. It's a borough of ~17,000 and it really has a lot going for it right now. It has a very nice downtown area with shops, basic amenities, several parks, and a public library. This past weekend I saw thousands of people in town for what was really the biggest First Friday event I've ever seen in the borough, and the Blues Festival, which was really great as well. As for schools, Phoenixville is served by Phoenixville Area School District. The High School (Where I go, a current senior) is quite good. I could make a very good case for it being the best high school in the area that's not on the Main Line. A ton of kids are now taking AP classes (it offers 21-22 I'm pretty sure), and passing at rates much higher than state and national averages. It's really a place where there are amazing opportunities for those willing to work, I can attest to that myself. For example I know of another "good" school that has twice as many kids... but has half the kids that take AP Calculus, and significant fewer kids taking and passing AP tests. I almost wish I was a little younger and got some of the benefits the kids below are going to get that I just missed out on. That's the high school. As for the elementary school however, the borough has Barkley, which don't get me wrong, is a good school (and I've heard has improved), but probably has the worst reputation of those in the district, and so I might recommend the surrounding townships, East Pikeland and Schuylkill (also served by Phoenixville School District) to live, which are served by absolutely excellent elementary schools. They are probably more family friendly, with more greenspace, younger people, and fewer "shady people" the borough itself still has some of (which you will find anywhere Phoenixville's size). In the National Honor Society at the high school, the vast majority of kids went to East Pikeland and Schuylkill.
Overall, I love my town and have a lot of pride in it, and so I would love to see people like yourself move here to contribute to it's future. I think you'll be able to find something very nice to live in with your budget around Phoenixville. Also, other tid bits of information I can provide are that East Pikeland is the furthest from Conshy, followed by the Phoenixville, with Schuylkill township being the closest. Some of the negatives I might say about Phoenixville are that the traffic can get pretty bad around rush hour, as pretty much every single road is one lane both ways, and carry a lot of volume. Also it doesn't have a train station, the closet is about 15 minutes away in Paoli. Also, there are still some questionable people lingering around, as the borough went through hard times when Phoenixville Steel shut down, and saw crime increase. It has since gone down. Other than that I have no other complaints. Welcome to greater Philly, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a place to live!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 PM

PhillyPhan95, for a senior, you do know your stuff! You show great pride in your town so thanks for recommending Phoenixville, I will check out some properties in the area and see what I come up with. Having a nice downtime and parks is a huge plus. We've visited the Horsham/Willow Grove/Abington area a few times over the years to visit friends and it was so nice to drive around and pick up anything you want. As for homes, being a family friendly town is obviously important and we'll be needing to trust babysitters in the area.

Traffic can be horrible anywhere, when we stayed in Willow Grove, just getting to the turnpike on Old York/Easton was a nightmare but coming from NYC, it was nothing.

Thanks again for the recommendation.. we'll add it to our list.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 AM

548 posts, read 1,835,746 times
definitely check out Plymouth Meeting (Whitemarsh Township) and the Ambler area. Great schools in both areas, great access to Conshohocken (and every major highway for weekend trips) and you should have some options in your price range.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:27 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,292,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
definitely check out Plymouth Meeting (Whitemarsh Township) and the Ambler area. Great schools in both areas, great access to Conshohocken (and every major highway for weekend trips) and you should have some options in your price range.
Right. Also, "Plymouth Meeting" is in Plymouth Township, which IMO has a more varied, and more affordable, housing stock. The school district covering Plymouth, Whitemarsh, and Conshohocken is Colonial, and the high school, Plymouth Whitemarsh, is located in Whitemarsh Township. Regardless, this is just semantics, and I agree with maestro that you should look into these areas.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
$1800 can get you a nice 2BR apt in the area.

Short term living options until you get settled. Had friends that stayed in Lofts at Valley Forge(15 min from Conshohocken) and they seemed to enjoy it. Conshohocken itself has a bunch of new apt communities (Riverwalk)(Londonbury). Great area and you will not have any trouble finding a nice home within 1/2 hour of Conshohocken.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM

4,530 posts, read 2,251,464 times
I live in Plymouth Meeting also and the home prices vary depending on what you are looking for.
Great schools and great access to blue route, turnpike and shopping areas. oh and property taxes are low here also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Right. Also, "Plymouth Meeting" is in Plymouth Township, which IMO has a more varied, and more affordable, housing stock. The school district covering Plymouth, Whitemarsh, and Conshohocken is Colonial, and the high school, Plymouth Whitemarsh, is located in Whitemarsh Township. Regardless, this is just semantics, and I agree with maestro that you should look into these areas.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Thanks everyone. Ideally, we'd like 3BR+. All 4 of us are in a 2BR apt now and it's getting a bit tight. Having access out of town is ideal as we have season passes to Sesame Place.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,746 times
all the areas we've metion allow for very easy highway access to anywhere you want to go.

I see that you're from Queens (as am I). I can get from Ambler to Queens in 2 hours 15 minutes via the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike. Very easy, outside of some slowdowns on the Belt Parkway (which I'm sure you're accustomed to).

Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 AM

4,530 posts, read 2,251,464 times
Plymouth Meeting is great because it had immediate access to the turnpike which will get you to Sesame Place quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haner View Post
Thanks everyone. Ideally, we'd like 3BR+. All 4 of us are in a 2BR apt now and it's getting a bit tight. Having access out of town is ideal as we have season passes to Sesame Place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia