U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times

Advertisements

Most prevalent pest: loud teenagers on public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 PM

175 posts, read 241,725 times
what about mosquitoes? I really really have issues with them as in guant quarter sized welts for about 3 weeks. In LA they are rare, im hoping thats the case in Philly too. when and how bad is the humidity in the summer. As say....compared to NYC which i have been to in July ( yuk)

Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,789,064 times
Once in a great while I see one of those "house centipedes" or "thousand leggers." I understand they are harmless.

My problem is that in the winter small mice find their way into my old Victorian home. I have to put traps and mouse poison about.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 PM

96 posts, read 211,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
In the general area of Philadelphia what are the most prevelant sorts of bugs/rodents/pests you have encountered? What are the differences in these problems with the changes in seasons?
I never saw Rats... but German - American Cockroaches, Waterbugs (black ones) mice (Very small), small house spiders, thousand leggers, raccoons, dragon flies, nats, flies, and lightning bugs. All I encountered.

Cockroaches come out bout 5 times a year for me, waterbugs... 1 time a year.... Mice is hard to find, tbh. House spiders = Basement... Thousand leggers, outside....dragon flies (RARE) i saw two in my life tho... Raccoon, once. Nats, varies. Flies, alot. Lightnin bugs outside, and thats it, i think. Enjoy city life. lol Im sure its worst in the rural area or Australia or new york (3 FOOT RATS FOUND IN BROOKLYN)

Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
what about mosquitoes? I really really have issues with them as in guant quarter sized welts for about 3 weeks. In LA they are rare, im hoping thats the case in Philly too. when and how bad is the humidity in the summer. As say....compared to NYC which i have been to in July ( yuk)
As they're so close together, NYC and Philly have a very similar climate, and the vermin are basically the same, too. Philly gets hot humid days, and that's when cockroaches especially like to play.
In my experience (I've lived for long time in both cities), mosquitoes are a little worse in NYC (more of those striped asian ones you see at the beach), and cockroaches are a little worse in Philly (at least in Center City). Rats are probably a little worse in NYC, but I've seen them in Rittenhouse Square too.

Also: euphemisms aside - 'waterbugs' are cockroaches; and so are 'palmetto bugs' in the south.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM

268 posts, read 314,112 times
Bed bugs. We also saw a few rats while we were walking around.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:26 PM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Recently I've had an issue with those tiny ants. I have not seen roaches or mice in a good while though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or