U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,505,375 times

Advertisements

Giggleberry at Peddler's Village (http://peddlersvillage.com/giggleberry/giggleberry.htm - broken link)
this is Giggleberry Fair which is close to Doylestown, in Lahaska, Pa. In with the Peddlers Village which is small shops you can visit. Quite a nice day to be had there.
Because of the more upscale area, I think manners are quite prevalent.
The lovely places to eat outside along the mainstreet of Doylestown are wonderful.
Very friendly. In fact one of the pubs was full of excitement over the latest sports games on the TVs.
The book stores are nice. A the quaint little stores......See the photos on the Doylestown Festival, and that cute Clock Shop!!
This year an Intermational Bike Race was held in the streets along with a Festival.
I believe every neighborhood is different, every street can be different.
Who knows who will live near you, or if you will both be compatiable.

Aloof can happen anywhere. I had more friends in New Jersey then in Pa. although I love the nature of people here. I love how people will drop anything to help you.

I would not think you'd need to lock doors in that area. But, now-a-days people lock doors anyhow. Because of all the fuss in the Media and newsrooms.

I think the spring and summer is the time to visit........
But include this Jan when you go a nice trip into Lahaska for a walk through Peddlers Village, and maybe even some time at the cute shops of New Hope.....
Good Luck
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:31 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,919,586 times
I have an Uncle who lives in Doyelstown. I think it is a truly beautiful place. If you bought me a house, I'd go!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,505,375 times
My girls head to the town like its their new best friend.
They just rant and rave about Doylestown.
I stayed overnight there during the festival........hey, if I knew your Uncle was there.......I'd of said "Hi"
Now........Who's buying you a house there.......LOL

Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 6 days ago)

31,055 posts, read 68,885,048 times
I wonder if it's nicer than Scranton?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 AM

37 posts, read 164,466 times
Doylestown Borough is a nice town to walk/visit/live - the teenagers are a little restless, but not too bad. Doylestown Township is a typical cookie-cutter suburb with subdivisions of upscale houses scattered all around. Still some rural feel left, but it's disappearing over time. The big negative is poor highway access. The closest interstate highway is I-276 (PA Turnpike) at Willow Grove, and Rt 611 south is the road that takes you there. Unfortunately, Rt 611 is horribly congested, especially as you get closer to Willow Grove. The last mile of Rt 611 is the busiest stretch of open access (non-expressway) highway in Montgomery County.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 17,835 times
Default traffic is relative

Bad traffic as in stop and go? Or more like moving slow?

Old 11-23-2007, 08:56 AM

37 posts, read 164,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icknic View Post
Bad traffic as in stop and go? Or more like moving slow?
If we're talking rush hour, it moves slow into Horsham. There are several intersections that you may sit through more than one traffic light cycle before you can get through the intersection. For the last mile to mile & a half (sometimes farther), it's stop & go all the way onto the ramp for the turnpike. It takes about 5-10 extra minutes (sometimes more) to travel that last stretch. If there's a backup on the turnpike (which is common westbound during the AM rush), things can get really bad. Even if you were to be traveling eastbound, you still have to share a single lane ramp to the toll plaza with the westbound drivers. I do it every day, although I'm coming north on Rt 611, which isn't nearly as bad (thanks to a two lane on ramp).

Old 08-19-2008, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 13,538 times
Default New people moving in are the problem

Having lived in D-town and surrounding areas for many years the big negative issue popping up is all of the new people moving in from other areas. You see a lot of northern NJ and NY transplants that love to exude their attitude. The people have definitely become more pushy, loud, and less involved int he community. However, if you spend the time to tap into the true local scene you will find a community that does do all of the stuff mentioned in the posts below and you can sort of avoid the "new" Doylestown residents.

And a word on the 202, 611, other roads, etc. Doylestown is what it is today because of those "naysayers" who have blocked the bypass and other construction. I bet the people of Villanova would love to have blocked that mess of 476 running through their back yards. The fact that there is no easy way to get to Doylestown is what makes it so special. If you dont like it, move. And to all the people from Montomeryville to Chalfont, if you dont like the traffic, you shouldnt have allowed the development. D-town, Buckingham and Solebery should not have to shoulder the traffic load that you created by allowing any builder with a minimall or cluster development plan to come in ruin your infrastructure.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:28 AM

33,072 posts, read 61,899,312 times
Doylestown is pretty, but dang! It's expensive.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,291,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damone5000 View Post
And a word on the 202, 611, other roads, etc. Doylestown is what it is today because of those "naysayers" who have blocked the bypass and other construction. I bet the people of Villanova would love to have blocked that mess of 476 running through their back yards. The fact that there is no easy way to get to Doylestown is what makes it so special. If you dont like it, move. And to all the people from Montomeryville to Chalfont, if you dont like the traffic, you shouldnt have allowed the development. D-town, Buckingham and Solebery should not have to shoulder the traffic load that you created by allowing any builder with a minimall or cluster development plan to come in ruin your infrastructure.

It's interesting that people who live in a metropolitan region have not a care in the world for the local infrastructure. The Blue Route caused housing values to skyrocket and helped spur the redevelopment of Conshohocken, as would happen through the Chalfont and Montgomeryville areas were there to be an adequate highway. The growth that has occurred all along route 202 (not just in Montgomeryville to Chalfont) cannot be sustained with the infrastructure currently in place. Building another 1-lane local road, though somewhat of an improvement, is a joke.

West Chester has much better highway access than D'Town and has still maintained it's small-town charm. Doylestown, Buckingham, and Solebury have certainly allowed their share of development as well that has and will continue to contribute to the bottlenecks on route 202 that this parkway will not solve. Don't confuse your desire to live in the middle of nowhere with the success of your town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia