Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 AM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times

Advertisements

I lived near Doyelstown (in Newtown) and I agree that Doyelstown is extremely nice. It's second only to New Hope in great downtown out of Bucks County places. However, my main critisism of the area (including Newtown, Yardley, etc) is that it is no longer a great place to raise kids. Sure, the schools are "good" (high test scores), but the sterile and snobbish atmosphere is stifling, and the pressure and competition is crushing to most young minds. Plus, housing prices are now so expensive in Bucks County that a HS or returning college graduate will not be able to start out here anyway.

So in all it's a pretty and safe area, but I wouldn't send kids to school there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM

7 posts, read 18,796 times
We drove all over the D-Town area looking for a place to relocate from NYC. If someone mowed my lawn and brought me a pie unannounced I think I'd have them investigated - but then I'm coming from NYC.

Anyway, we found a house to rent in Carversville. I doubt we could ever afford to buy there, but it's beautiful x10 and the school have a great rep. What we saw of Doylestown was very charming.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:51 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I can list one negative thing about Bucks. Having driven through it, the drivers there are jerks. Thats a trait in eastern pa in general, getting worse the closer you get to and in New Jersey. Just don't be so " I am the center of the universe and road rules don't apply to me, only you.", guys.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM

69 posts, read 223,818 times
There is really nothing negative in my opinion about Doylestown except traffic - which isn't always bad (except 611 after the bypass, which is terrible).

We'd still be in the area if it wasn't for a job situation - but so far we are very happy in Lackawanna County (even though it's only been a week).

Doylestown is wonderful.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,355 times
I have lived in the Doylestown Area 30 years and adore it. In my lifetime I have lived in Westchester NY, Long Island NY, & South Florida. We have considered moving to FL, CA, and other states in USA, done research and traveled, only to realize none can offer more or better than we have here. What attracted us was the numerous parks and natural areas open to the residents, the bike hike trail, small parks for kids, fishing for kids, town swimming pool, many things that make it family focused. Doylestown has always been my favorite due to its family feeling, and it's closeness to natural preserve areas, Poconos, Delaware River, 1 Hour to Phila, Close to NJ, Train to NYC, etc.

downtown Doylestown has an "I belong to Doylestown pride feeling". The shop keepers are sweet, will to remember your kids and talk about them when you come in again. Most residents take an interest in the vibrancy of the town, supporting the wonderful cuisine and small shops. First Fridays they have events and it is well attended, along with parades and art events in the downtown area year round. D'town is small compared to city locations, but the charm, warmth and politeness of the people really makes you feel welcome. While Doylestown proper can have higher values, Doylestown Township, and Warrington, Chalfont, New Britain, and smaller towns like Edison Furlong or Jamison, are all part of the Central Bucks schools and lifestyle. Great homes with nice yards, quiet neighborhoods can be found for reasonable prices, if you don't need the "Status of the D'twn zip code" to feel good about yourself. Some people do care and are willing to pay a premium for that.

The schools are some of the top in the nation. While this is a good thing for kids who are successful in school, it can be tough for bright kids who march to a different beat, or kids who have issues that "fall through the cracks" as they may not meet expected outputs, and not much room for accommodations to this. The special needs accommodations are the best in the area, and I am always surprised when parents in other school districts state they have nothing near these programs. But the school taxes are high to afford these benefits. School sports teams have excellent reputations

What makes me sad as I watch the area become congested is the downgrading of civi.ity of the people who are coming here. We really never had litter, people were polite, did not honk if it took you a second or two to notice the light turned green. Now we see and hear the opposite. While this may seem small to some, it shows you who is a "native" and who is not, by how they conduct themselves including littering, screaming or hitting their children, careless, cruel, impolite things you never saw maybe as recently as 5-7 yrs ago.

The schools, including elementary are really large, what I call mega schools, built to save money as is the trend in USA. Mega Schools can reduce opportunities for the "average kid" to become involved in sports, music band, acting, clubs, extracurricular activities due to the heavy competition and finite # of members. Not many opportunities for the average students to feel connected to school n community. This typically leads to isolation or alienation, often pushing kids to find negative ways to fit in, which is true for any USA area. I mention it because that is not how it was when my kids were growing up. Schools were small, intimate, teachers knew you by name, developed warm relationships, kids hung out and flt united with the school in unseen ways, but much less able now with the performance requirements foisted on teachers n kids alike. Student Drug and alcohol abuse is as widespread here as any USA town. High college attendance post graduation.

We have a home within D'town Twp limits with a Warrington postal address, so the homes value is under much less than you would pay for a comparable 4 Br, 2.5 bath, over acre of yard, close to everything, while being secluded in our park like setting once home. Homes in D'town proper and olther "elite towns cost $100,000+ more for the privilege of the right address, schools etc are the same. Doylestown and surrounding Central Bucks Area is Pretty cool overall.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icknic View Post
So I'm tired of hearing only good things about Doylestown / New Hope area. They are friendly, good schools, no gangs, nice downtown, and pretty. I mean really, we have searched through these boards looking for a place to live and nobody ever says anything negative.

What do people not like about it?
it's in the middle of nowhere

Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Problems with D'town? Too many stoplights on the main street through town. Does that count? Too far from the ocean. Umm....let's see....my favorite coffee shop needs a bigger restroom? Does that count?
D'town is a wonderful place, and right on a commuter rail line, and with a great parking lot for that commuter rail line, too.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Please note that this thread was originally started in 2008.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:34 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
What PetuniaBaby59 said is very good, and important info for anyone thinking about re-locating here. All in all, I have no complaints about D'town, except maybe the cost to live here.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,181 times
[URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/icknic-197988.html"]icknic[/URL],
Sorry to say, but Doylestown is overall, a very nice area.

Bad things.
1.Housing is expensive
2. Job market is tight
3.It's cold in the Winter
4.The population is growing- it's not as quaint as it used to be, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia