U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:54 AM

268 posts, read 314,112 times

Advertisements

Ok, we arrived in Philly (driving from OH) Sunday late afternoon. We stayed off the expressways so we could see a bit of the local streets. Stayed at the Alexander on Spruce and 12th in West Washington Park or Midtown Village, whatever that is.

Some of the activities we did were a "Sex, Vampires, and Ghosts" walking tour, dinner at City Tavern, lunch at Monk's, going through Reading Terminal Market, and a lot of walking around. We left Tuesday morning.

We had a blast. The short visit solidified the decision to move to Philly in the next few years. People were considerate without being overly familiar, and everything (except parking) was really affordable - breakfast at a nearby diner was $10! In OH where we live now, it would have been nearly twice that.

Philadelphia - our next hometown! Looking forward to another short visit next year to check around another neighborhood, but I must say, where we stayed, that was nice. We saw seniors, every ethnic stripe, middle-aged, same-sex, a variety of nice restaurants, pubs, and wine bars. We loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Glad to hear, you caught some great early fall weather as well.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 AM

God, it was stifling hot Tuesday when we left. Other than that, the weather was great.

Had a wonderful conversation with a waitress at Molly Malloys in Reading Terminal Market (the pub in there, I think that was the name). Philadelphia-born, and proud of it. It was early, so it wasn't busy, so we had a good long conversation about living there, the different neighborhoods, places to go, all that. If I were single and 25 years younger, I would have fallen in love... ;-)

Had a funny mix-up the first night there. Asked the gentleman at e hotel to recommend a good close place for a beer and he suggested Moriarity's about two blocks or so up. So we walked up there, rounded the corner, saw a big "Irish Bar" marquee and went in.

Food was so-so, and that's being generous. Tap wasn't that spectacular. So, e more I'm sitting there, the more irritated I'm getting at the front-desk guy! That bastard, he sent me to a typical tourist hang-out! Dammit!

We finished, Wife had to hit the restroom, so I told her I'd meet her outside. Walked out, looked up, across the street, big sign for Moriarity's. we went into the wrong friggin' place!

We had breakfast at the Mid-Towne Diner, about four blocks from the hotel. Good food, cheap, and the waitress was really friendly.

We had such a good time, and the wife is sold because she'd be a 45-minute car-ride from her precious pork-and-sauerkraut in Lancaster County.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 PM

318 posts, read 506,803 times
Next time your in town you have to grab a cold one here...the oldest bar in Philly

McGillin's Olde Ale House: oldest and best Irish bar pub Philadelphia

Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Glad you enjoyed.. I leaning towards returning myself within the next year and some months. Not quite sure though (Depends on demand for my line of work.) Anyway to you & the wifey "Welcome to Philadelphia."

Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Glad to hear you had such a nice visit! Hope your move over the next months/years goes smoothly.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,789,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
Ok, we arrived in Philly (driving from OH) Sunday late afternoon. We stayed off the expressways so we could see a bit of the local streets. Stayed at the Alexander on Spruce and 12th in West Washington Park or Midtown Village, whatever that is.

Some of the activities we did were a "Sex, Vampires, and Ghosts" walking tour, dinner at City Tavern, lunch at Monk's, going through Reading Terminal Market, and a lot of walking around. We left Tuesday morning.

We had a blast. The short visit solidified the decision to move to Philly in the next few years. People were considerate without being overly familiar, and everything (except parking) was really affordable - breakfast at a nearby diner was $10! In OH where we live now, it would have been nearly twice that.

Philadelphia - our next hometown! Looking forward to another short visit next year to check around another neighborhood, but I must say, where we stayed, that was nice. We saw seniors, every ethnic stripe, middle-aged, same-sex, a variety of nice restaurants, pubs, and wine bars. We loved it.
You are most welcome!

We are all looking forward to having you as our new neighbors!

Ask any question you can think of ... a good auto mechanic, what neighborhood to live in, best Chinese food in Chinatown, a good hair stylist, nightlife recommendations, hidden little museums the tourists usually miss, nice parks to stroll around in ...

Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Next time your in town you have to grab a cold one here...the oldest bar in Philly

McGillin's Olde Ale House: oldest and best Irish bar pub Philadelphia
My favorite hangout. I believe McGillin's was recently ranked as one of the top big city bars in the nation. I am actually surprised an employee from a business that is part of the Midtown Village Association would even recommend Morarity's since they are not part of it.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:04 AM

I walked right by McGillin's when I was doing a little solo walk. I made a note of it then, and now it's on my list of places to go the next time we're there. Yep, the next trip is in the works, sometime in early December 2014. We want to see what kind of holiday activities go on in Philly.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
I walked right by McGillin's when I was doing a little solo walk. I made a note of it then, and now it's on my list of places to go the next time we're there. Yep, the next trip is in the works, sometime in early December 2014. We want to see what kind of holiday activities go on in Philly.
Two other's I would recommend would be Fergies Pub and Finn McCools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or