Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times

Advertisements

MtoP I was telling OC that I dont know where that specific development is but Exton isnt that big and you wouldn't have a problem finding it if you tried hard enough. Furthermore Bucks,Montgomery,Chester Counties and the western half of Delaware County are full of develpments just like that setting. Its just a matter of where you want to be close to, and zeroing in on a location. If you are into shopping your best bet would be the KOP,Plymouth meeting,Exton triangle. If you want scenery the Valley Forge,Chester Springs Coventry,Skippack areas are ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM

18 posts, read 73,879 times
Rain, you are the fountain of knowledge! thank you for taking the time to help out. I like scenary and shopping... but more important is having a good neighborhood for the kid (or he will drive me crazy). I am on the mls tonight really previewing each of the neighborhoods you told me about. I can't wait to get a chance to go up and actually experience them. Might be Dec. I think when I can get a real feel for the neighborhoood, then the house will show up. Love your recommended areas so far.

thanks again.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM

37 posts, read 178,130 times
I grew up in Huntingdon Valley - it's a nice place to live, but maybe a bit over-rated. Lower Moreland Township is constantly trying to ignore the fact that it borders Philadelphia to the east. I guess I would call it a superiority complex. It's fairly convenient to the regional rail system though, and does have it's perks. Where I grew up on the Upper Moreland side (and my parents still live), you can buy a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house on a 1/2 acre for about $400,000-$450,000. They live within walking distance of a fairly significant shopping center with a large SuperFresh supermarket (with a state store attached), Sears Hardware, Starbucks, LA Fitness, Bertucci's, etc. Most of Huntingdon Valley is completely devoid of any conveniences, so that's a big plus (at least to me).

For the price range, I would look out toward Blue Bell & Skippack, or just to the south /southwest of H.V. in Rydal or Meadowbrook, which are in Abington township. For the record though, I love Abington Township, so I might be biased!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,737 times
Default hunt val

I grew up in Huntingdon Valley, and currently live in Maple Glen, about 15 minutes down the road. The school districts for H.V. are Lower Moreland and Abington (I went to Abington). Abington used to be one of the top school districts in the county, but it has moved down the list since then. I would highly recommend the Upper Dublin School District. This district was one of the few public school districts that was rated in the Philadelphia Magazine as the top schools. Housing is easily found in your price range, and the houses here are highly sought after. I hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:43 PM

18 posts, read 73,879 times
Bandjmom, it certainly does help. I appreciate anyone willing to give me a glimpse of their knowledge. thank you.

Shelly

Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM

23 posts, read 84,334 times
Default Some additional info

Shelly,
If you ever needed to speak to someone in person about the area, I was born and raised in Bucks County PA near the Huntingdon Valley area and currently live in the New Hope / Solebury area of Bucks County, PA. I worked in Center City Philadelphia , Manhattan and in Rochester NY so I've commuted quite a bit from the area as well.

I was in residential real estate with Coldwell Banker for 11 years specializing in corporate relocation with Cendant. Currently I'm an owner and partner of a commercial real estate brokerage which also does residential.

(That's not a solicitation or anything, and I'm not trying to sound like one of ---those types--- of REALTORS). I hope nobody takes it that way.

I know how difficult and stressful a move like that can be. Thank goodness for forums like this and others where individuals can post their information and experiences for people making a move to the area. Sometimes it can be a huge help to speak to someone in person that is actually from the area. I certainly would not mind and I'm sure others on the forum would offer the same. I think between everyone, we have all of the areas you are interested in pretty much covered. Good luck with your move, Brian

Last edited by RE4me; 11-29-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
Default Huntingdon Valley

I have lived in the area served by the Huntingdon Valley Post Office since moving to the Philadelphia area 21 years ago.

The Huntingdon Valley addresses actually cover five townships (Abington, Lower Moreland, Lower Southampton [although I don't think any residences are in the Huntingdon Valley addresses in this township], Upper Moreland, and Lower Southampton) in two counties (Bucks [the two Southamptons] and Montgomery). In addition, Bryn Athyn Borough is completely surrounded by Huntingdon Valley, and while it has its own address and zip code, it is serviced by the Huntingdon Valley Post Office. There may even be a stray Huntingdon Valley address or two in Rockledge Borough (Montgomery County) or Far Northeast Philadelphia (Philadelphi County).

Here are some great location things about Huntingdon Valley:

1. The SEPTA R-3 rail line serves a few stations close to Huntingdon Valley. These are (from outermost to innermost) Somerton, Forest Hills, Philmont, Bethayres, and Meadowbrook. All but Meadowbrook are served by rush hour express trains to and from Philadelphia.

2. Huntingdon Valley is reasonably close to major highways. Although the major north-south route, Huntingdon Pike, does not have an interchange on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (an EZ-Pass slip ramp in the future has been rumored), residents can get on at U.S. 1 for eastbound travel and at Route 611 or the Virginia Drive EZ-Pass slip ramp for westbound travel. There are a few ways to get to I-95, at the Woodhaven, Academy, or Cottman exits.

3. Huntingdon Valley is close to at least two major hospitals - Holy Redeemer (located in the Jenkintown Post Office service area less than a block from the border with the Huntingdon Valley Post Office service area but with Huntingdon Valley phone numbers) and Abington.

4. Huntingdon Valley is close to various places to shop. It has two major supermarkets, not that close to each other, but each one close to different parts of the area, plus a small one closer to the middle.

The worst thing about living in Huntingdon Valley is seeing the name misspelled as Huntington Valley. But then I lived in Silver Spring (NOT Silver Springs), MD, before I lived here, so I was used to seeing my place name misspelled!

Oh, one more thing, and please don't take this as an advertisement, because I have nothing to do with the organization - If you need to move to the Philadelphia area before buying a house, consider for your temporary housing Korman Suites of Meadowbrook. This is in Huntingdon Valley. It is where I lived when I first came to the area, and living there made me want to stay in Huntingdon Valley.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:23 PM

23 posts, read 84,334 times
Default Spelling

rslitman,

I hear you. I have some many people call my township Solesbury ..... or do they mean Souls-Bury??? It's really funny that they would remember that and not Solebury... Solebury sounds easier to remember to me but I guess that's because I live here.

Your post made me chuckle because I've gotten many requests in years gone by to show homes in HuntingTon Valley.

I kept telling people ..... D! .... There's a D in there ..... D!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,272 times
Those houses might be out of her price range, no? No way is the first PV house in the 4-500 range...

Also, depending on your location in HV, you might be located in Abington (my good friend grew up there) school district. I would not at all hesitate sending my (non existant) child there.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 AM

37 posts, read 178,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslitman View Post
I have lived in the area served by the Huntingdon Valley Post Office since moving to the Philadelphia area 21 years ago.

The Huntingdon Valley addresses actually cover five townships (Abington, Lower Moreland, Lower Southampton [although I don't think any residences are in the Huntingdon Valley addresses in this township], Upper Moreland, and Lower Southampton) in two counties (Bucks [the two Southamptons] and Montgomery). In addition, Bryn Athyn Borough is completely surrounded by Huntingdon Valley, and while it has its own address and zip code, it is serviced by the Huntingdon Valley Post Office. There may even be a stray Huntingdon Valley address or two in Rockledge Borough (Montgomery County) or Far Northeast Philadelphia (Philadelphi County).

Here are some great location things about Huntingdon Valley:

1. The SEPTA R-3 rail line serves a few stations close to Huntingdon Valley. These are (from outermost to innermost) Somerton, Forest Hills, Philmont, Bethayres, and Meadowbrook. All but Meadowbrook are served by rush hour express trains to and from Philadelphia.

2. Huntingdon Valley is reasonably close to major highways. Although the major north-south route, Huntingdon Pike, does not have an interchange on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (an EZ-Pass slip ramp in the future has been rumored), residents can get on at U.S. 1 for eastbound travel and at Route 611 or the Virginia Drive EZ-Pass slip ramp for westbound travel. There are a few ways to get to I-95, at the Woodhaven, Academy, or Cottman exits.

3. Huntingdon Valley is close to at least two major hospitals - Holy Redeemer (located in the Jenkintown Post Office service area less than a block from the border with the Huntingdon Valley Post Office service area but with Huntingdon Valley phone numbers) and Abington.

4. Huntingdon Valley is close to various places to shop. It has two major supermarkets, not that close to each other, but each one close to different parts of the area, plus a small one closer to the middle.

The worst thing about living in Huntingdon Valley is seeing the name misspelled as Huntington Valley. But then I lived in Silver Spring (NOT Silver Springs), MD, before I lived here, so I was used to seeing my place name misspelled!

Oh, one more thing, and please don't take this as an advertisement, because I have nothing to do with the organization - If you need to move to the Philadelphia area before buying a house, consider for your temporary housing Korman Suites of Meadowbrook. This is in Huntingdon Valley. It is where I lived when I first came to the area, and living there made me want to stay in Huntingdon Valley.
It used to annoy me as well when people would put that 'T' where the 'D' belongs. How about filling out the town name on forms that limit the number of spaces? I'd always end up with 'Huntingdon Vly' or even 'Huntingdon Vy' if that's all the space allowed.

One thing to keep in mind regarding highway access, especially to I-95: getting to & from Woodhaven Rd is an exercise in futility. The locals have successfully fought the extension of Woodhaven Rd & the expansion of Byberry & County Line Rds for generations. As a matter of fact, there is not one single multi-lane highway that passes all the way through Lower Moreland Township. Because of this, traffic passing through is a nightmare. That's part of my reasoning for talking about the local 'superiority complex'. They simply fight to keep any traffic from passing through their township, to the detriment of the neighboring townships (and the city of Philadelphia) who then have to carry the traffic burden instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia