U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,722,603 times
Lee Ving gives Philly a nice mention in Fear's "I love living in the city"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,787,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center City Signs View Post
Who knew there were so many songs about Philadelphia!
Here are some you should familiarize yourself with:

Philadelphia Freedom -- Elton John
The Sound Of Philadelphia (TSOP) -- MFSB
Dancing In The Streets -- Martha & The Vandellas
Bandstand Boogie -- Barry Manilow
Rock N' Me -- Steve Miller Band
Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry
Motown Philly -- Boyz II Men
Punk Rock Girl -- Dead Milkmen
Sailing To Philadelphia -- Mark Knopfler
Night Train -- James Brown
I'm In A Philly Mood -- Daryl Hall
The Heart Of Rock And Roll -- Huey Lewis & The News
Fall In Philadelphia -- Hall & Oates
Streets Of Philadelphia -- Bruce Springsteen
Philadelphia -- Neil Young
Philadelphia -- Atom & His Package
That Philly Thing -- George Thorogood
Philly Night -- Berry James
Ms. Philadelphia -- Musiq Soulchild
Going Back To Philly -- Jeru The Damaja
Philadelphia Lawyer -- Flatt & Scruggs
Leaving Philadelphia -- Denison Witmer
Midnight In Philadelphia -- Lighthouse
Summertime -- Will Smith
South Philly (You Got To Love It) -- Trademark Experience
I Left My Heart In Philadelphia -- Buddy Leezle
So Cold Philly -- Sandman
Miracle In Philadelphia -- Jeff Lantos & Bill Augustine

Old 09-15-2013, 07:04 AM

56 posts, read 62,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Lee Ving gives Philly a nice mention in Fear's "I love living in the city"
When in this song does Ving mention Philly? I know he's from here, but since Fear is LA based, don't you think he's writing about LA? There are no cockroaches in Philly.

I grew up with punk, if you need to meet the real deal, Freddie Pompeii, from The Viletones is a fixture on E. Passyunk. Buy him a coffee at B2 or saddle up next to him at the P.O.P.E. He likes to talk music.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Here are some you should familiarize yourself with:

Philadelphia Freedom -- Elton John
The Sound Of Philadelphia (TSOP) -- MFSB
Dancing In The Streets -- Martha & The Vandellas
Bandstand Boogie -- Barry Manilow
Rock N' Me -- Steve Miller Band
Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry
Motown Philly -- Boyz II Men
Punk Rock Girl -- Dead Milkmen
Sailing To Philadelphia -- Mark Knopfler
Night Train -- James Brown
I'm In A Philly Mood -- Daryl Hall
The Heart Of Rock And Roll -- Huey Lewis & The News
Fall In Philadelphia -- Hall & Oates
Streets Of Philadelphia -- Bruce Springsteen
Philadelphia -- Neil Young
Philadelphia -- Atom & His Package
That Philly Thing -- George Thorogood
Philly Night -- Berry James
Ms. Philadelphia -- Musiq Soulchild
Going Back To Philly -- Jeru The Damaja
Philadelphia Lawyer -- Flatt & Scruggs
Leaving Philadelphia -- Denison Witmer
Midnight In Philadelphia -- Lighthouse
Summertime -- Will Smith
South Philly (You Got To Love It) -- Trademark Experience
I Left My Heart In Philadelphia -- Buddy Leezle
So Cold Philly -- Sandman
Miracle In Philadelphia -- Jeff Lantos & Bill Augustine
Great list, there's about a half dozen songs I'm not familiar with, I'll look them up. I wasn't familiar with the Peter Cincotti song, I like it and added it to my YT favorites. Thanks.

"Expressway to Your Heart" was inspired by the Schuylkill Ex., but never really refers to it. "Comfortably Numb" was inspired by Roger Waters being sick before a Spectrum show, and a doctor was called in and injected him with tranquilizers. It's not about heroin, as most think. Again, no local mention. Arguably, the finest musician who called Philadelphia home for was John Coltrane. Since there were no lyrics, who can tell how many of his great compositions from 1952 to 1967 were inspired by the streets of Philly.

One more to add to your list, that does mention Philly. "Philadelphia Baby", an early Sun Studios B Side for Charlie Rich, as good as rockabilly gets. Robert Plant covered the song.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-15-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,817,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post
I like The War on Drugs, but to me this song can mean any city, I see no Philly connection other than that they are from here. Nothing is specific in this song.

Was Kurt Vile on this track, or was this after he left?

I forgot about that Hooters song. Good one.
Yeah, I guess I just assumed it was about Philly. Nothing really specific in the song but Vile is from Philly "lead me back to the place I come from, past the farms and debris baby". Pretty sure he is on the track.

This British group is not from Philly, but shot their music video here, which won some awards I believe.
Thought it was a cool video, very specific to Philly.

Rudimental - "Feel The Love" ft. John Newman - YouTube

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-15-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,527,507 times
"Eye of the Tiger" ?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
When in this song does Ving mention Philly? I know he's from here, but since Fear is LA based, don't you think he's writing about LA? There are no cockroaches in Philly.

I grew up with punk, if you need to meet the real deal, Freddie Pompeii, from The Viletones is a fixture on E. Passyunk. Buy him a coffee at B2 or saddle up next to him at the P.O.P.E. He likes to talk music.

I guess it isnt on the vinyl, but back in the Lee Paris daze of 'KDU, there was a live version that got played occasionally where the ever articulate Lee(Ving) starts ripping on the places in different cities where punks hang out. When he gets to Philly it's: "South St, Philadelphia, you're all a**holes". Pretty funny.
Do you remember the East Side Club?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah, I guess I just assumed it was about Philly. Nothing really specific in the song but Vile is from Philly "lead me back to the place I come from, past the farms and debris baby". Pretty sure he is on the track.

This British group is not from Philly, but shot their music video here, which won some awards I believe.
Thought it was a cool video, very specific to Philly.

Rudimental - "Feel The Love" ft. John Newman - YouTube
Vile, I believe still lives in NoLibs, and TWOD is still based here, unlike Marah, who couldn't wait to flee (supposedly they screwed a lot of folks).

I'm in my 50's, a lot of my contemporaries gave up on music years ago, but I love to be turned on to new artists (hence, listening to 'xpn in the car all day). I've never heard of Rudimental, but am now a fan. Just added to my YT favs. What a great track, especially when the trumpet kicks in for the instrumental, I am floored. Not a fresh discovery though, I see the vid has 25 mil. hits. I'm gonna check out their other stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I guess it isnt on the vinyl, but back in the Lee Paris daze of 'KDU, there was a live version that got played occasionally where the ever articulate Lee(Ving) starts ripping on the places in different cities where punks hang out. When he gets to Philly it's: "South St, Philadelphia, you're all a**holes". Pretty funny.
Do you remember the East Side Club?
Yeah, I kinda remember East Side Club, from a meth fueled, alcohol induced haze. I believe, but don't really recall, I saw Black Flag and Circle Jerks there. May have been another venue for one or the other.

Since I am a NYC native, although I had been living in Philly since I was 10, I used to travel to NYC to see shows. Didn't hurt that I was going to Rutgers, in the late 70's/early 80's, only a short drunken and drugged drive to NYC. Who knows how me and my buddies survived it all. We would always go to GBGB's.

I strangely enough became friends with Johnny Ramone, and up until about 5 years before his death, had contact with him a couple of times a year. On a side note, Joey hated me because Johnny liked me. Never discussed politics with Johnny though, that would have put a kibosh on the whole thing.

Yup, 'kdu and 'xpn were very important in the Philly punk scene. I went from worshipping Michael Tearson when I was a early teen, to worshiping Lee Paris when I got older.

Did you ever head to Emerald City to see some of the great New Wave shows there?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda remember East Side Club, from a meth fueled, alcohol induced haze. I believe, but don't really recall, I saw Black Flag and Circle Jerks there. May have been another venue for one or the other.

Since I am a NYC native, although I had been living in Philly since I was 10, I used to travel to NYC to see shows. Didn't hurt that I was going to Rutgers, in the late 70's/early 80's, only a short drunken and drugged drive to NYC. Who knows how me and my buddies survived it all. We would always go to GBGB's.

I strangely enough became friends with Johnny Ramone, and up until about 5 years before his death, had contact with him a couple of times a year. On a side note, Joey hated me because Johnny liked me. Never discussed politics with Johnny though, that would have put a kibosh on the whole thing.

Yup, 'kdu and 'xpn were very important in the Philly punk scene. I went from worshipping Michael Tearson when I was a early teen, to worshiping Lee Paris when I got older.

Did you ever head to Emerald City to see some of the great New Wave shows there?
Too cool! Great stories
I saw Psych Furrs at Emerald City and a few others, Gang of Four, I think . . . Memory's a little hazy
I worked for a local band as a roadie/guitar tech that opened for a lot of those one-hit wonder bands that came through the area. They opened for the Ramones twice. Once at Ripley, and once at the Brandywine club in Delaware. I was on the second floor of Ripley, where the pinball machines and stuff were, and I saw what looked like a praying mantis from a godzilla movie hunched over a pinball machine. It was Joey Ramone. I had no idea how tall he was. Towered over me. I thought it was cool he was just hanging out. The other Ramones never left the dressing room before or after the show.
Speaking of meth fueled daze, did you ever hang out at club Revival?? ooOO00Ff . . . looong eventful nites to say the least!! ha ha
My Wife was a CB's kiddie back in the day. She was a Dead Boys fan back then
My Son tells me a movie is coming out about CB's back in da day. This should be interesting.
I havent been to NYC in a while. The last time I went, I lived in Vermont and came down to see Television at the Irving Plaza. Great show!!
Ahhhh, the good olde daze
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or