U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I have been frequenting the Northeast for about 10 years and don't see any sign of decline. Quality of life is hard to see, you have to experience it 1st hand. Some people complain about Mayfair.
Lower Mayfair (Frankford and Levick area) has declined quite a bit, and then further north at night there has been some drug dealing and prostitution going on around the Frankford and Rhawn area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:09 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,280,859 times
There's also prostitution and drug dealing along Torresdale Ave, from Harbison to Rhawn ... Frankford has moved north. There's been hookers on Frankford Ave in Holmesburg for 20+ years.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 09-14-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 10:24 AM

Due to cultural and economic diversity, the entire NE is worse than it was 15 years ago. There, it's been said. Same goes for Eastwick in SW Philly.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:49 AM

221 posts, read 320,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
It is. Wissinoming, Mayfair, Tacony, Oxford Circle, Summerdale and Lawncrest are all in decline because of the type of people moving in.
You tell people to "stay put," but how do you expect decent people (the ones who can afford to flee, anyway) to stay put who have a pack of wild lowlives living next door to them or on their block? Not to mention there are always going to be houses for sale due to people dying, getting divorced, job transfer, job loss, etc. Plus, sometimes people move because they need/want more space or simply want out of an urban environment.
I agree that sometimes people do unnecessarily "panic," but there are always going to be people who don't panic and they wind up getting stuck in half-a-ghetto.
I'd throw Holmesburg in there too. I personally think a lot of Mayfair has a stronger community and is nicer than Holmesburg.

Also, if you drive around Castor Gardens and Burholme there are definite signs of decline. From the seedy commercial strips, to the overgrown lawns and unkempt houses that havent been updated or improved since the original owners died off or sold them. If you don't have pride in ownership or a tight-knit community in these types of neighborhoods they seem to lose their identity pretty fast. Not saying that these are the ghetto or bad places to live or raise a family, but they definitely arnt what they used to be. I think the decline has slowed a bit since the big waive in the 90s and early 2000s when a lot of people left.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
I'd throw Holmesburg in there too. I personally think a lot of Mayfair has a stronger community and is nicer than Holmesburg.

Also, if you drive around Castor Gardens and Burholme there are definite signs of decline. From the seedy commercial strips, to the overgrown lawns and unkempt houses that havent been updated or improved since the original owners died off or sold them. If you don't have pride in ownership or a tight-knit community in these types of neighborhoods they seem to lose their identity pretty fast. Not saying that these are the ghetto or bad places to live or raise a family, but they definitely arnt what they used to be. I think the decline has slowed a bit since the big waive in the 90s and early 2000s when a lot of people left.
Your entire post is absolutely right, but I was focusing on neighborhoods below Cottman.

I was up at Castor and Bleigh last week - trash, graffiti ...

Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM

92 posts, read 101,223 times
I've lived in Lawncrest for about 9 years now I think we must have bought our house right at the start of the decline. I'm not from here and thought that the neighborhood looked nice. There were families, the rec and the library was close. It started to get annoying pretty quickly though.

Now my daughter is 13 and scared to walk home from her bus stop. The neighborhood kids are wild and out until all hours of the night and there have to be at least 25 of them out at a time. My kids don't go outside to much, if they do they stay on the porch. Usually we go to parks (somewhere else...not Lawncrest!) and they stay involved in activities. We are basically here to sleep.

My house does not feel like a home. I don't want to put any more money into it because I will never get it back if I ever can sell it, which I doubt because prices are so low now. Also, now that I am divorced I worry that there is nowhere else I can afford to live.

I am in a panic. My daughter is looking at high schools next year. Obviously Fels is NOT an option, but she is scared to take SEPTA anywhere.

I want to be able to go outside and enjoy my porch (since I overlooked the desire for a yard 9 years ago) and leave my windows open without listening to hoards of screaming kids or smelling someone smoking weed. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it will happen.

So yes the area is in a decline! To be back OT, how long before it starts to look back up? And yes, I do believe gentrification is to blame.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 PM

802 posts, read 1,138,927 times
Quote:
It is. Wissinoming, Mayfair, Tacony, Oxford Circle, Summerdale and Lawncrest are all in decline because of the type of people moving in.
You tell people to "stay put," but how do you expect decent people (the ones who can afford to flee, anyway) to stay put who have a pack of wild lowlives living next door to them or on their block? Not to mention there are always going to be houses for sale due to people dying, getting divorced, job transfer, job loss, etc. Plus, sometimes people move because they need/want more space or simply want out of an urban environment.
I agree that sometimes people do unnecessarily "panic," but there are always going to be people who don't panic and they wind up getting stuck in half-a-ghetto.
I lived in Wissinoming for 10 years The first 8 were great and then the Section 8 tenants started coming in. Believe me I really did make every effort to stay. I did not want to move because I loved the house I was in. But Larry is right. Once people panic and move, the low lifes are in more and more of the homes. Towards the end of my living there, I had people jumping in my backyard, getting on the roof and had a couple of windows broken. The place across the street from me was being used as a halfway house for recovering drug addicts.

I had to make the difficult decision to pack up and move. I am still in Philadelphia but out of the Northeast altogether.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,485,873 times
Quote:
When I lived in the northeast I found the new residents moving in to mostly be hard working people looking for a better life. Those who born and raised there? The ones who are fleeing? I've never encountered trash like that in my life.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 AM

469 posts, read 799,831 times
Only one person has not notice a decline in the lower NE. What does that tell you? LOL! they no longer live there.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,817,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
I've lived in Lawncrest for about 9 years now I think we must have bought our house right at the start of the decline. I'm not from here and thought that the neighborhood looked nice. There were families, the rec and the library was close. It started to get annoying pretty quickly though.

Now my daughter is 13 and scared to walk home from her bus stop. The neighborhood kids are wild and out until all hours of the night and there have to be at least 25 of them out at a time. My kids don't go outside to much, if they do they stay on the porch. Usually we go to parks (somewhere else...not Lawncrest!) and they stay involved in activities. We are basically here to sleep.

My house does not feel like a home. I don't want to put any more money into it because I will never get it back if I ever can sell it, which I doubt because prices are so low now. Also, now that I am divorced I worry that there is nowhere else I can afford to live.

I am in a panic. My daughter is looking at high schools next year. Obviously Fels is NOT an option, but she is scared to take SEPTA anywhere.

I want to be able to go outside and enjoy my porch (since I overlooked the desire for a yard 9 years ago) and leave my windows open without listening to hoards of screaming kids or smelling someone smoking weed. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it will happen.

So yes the area is in a decline! To be back OT, how long before it starts to look back up? And yes, I do believe gentrification is to blame.
Rent out your house! I can't imagine your mortgage is more expensive than what you could get in rent $900-$1100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia