Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM

221 posts, read 399,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
give it time. they said the same thing about Mayfair several years ago and now look at it.
Rawhurst is right next door and is turning into a crap hole.
Maybe, but if you take that approach, you could make that argument about pretty much any neighborhood outside of the core of the city where all the young professionals/hipsters are flocking to. Rhawnhurst seems to be going through a big transition with a ton of immigrants moving in, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as some of these other neighborhoods that are becoming a straight up extension of North Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM

318 posts, read 609,146 times
Quote:
no you shouldn't but again history is a good indicator.
Usually when the first few black families move in, they are the working or professional types that bother nobody and are friendly. soon after, the trash follows. This started to happen 20 years ago in northwood.
Exactly. Happened in Oxford Circle as well.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Maybe, but if you take that approach, you could make that argument about pretty much any neighborhood outside of the core of the city where all the young professionals/hipsters are flocking to. Rhawnhurst seems to be going through a big transition with a ton of immigrants moving in, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as some of these other neighborhoods that are becoming a straight up extension of North Philly.
A lot of Chinese are moving into Rhawnhurst and the amazing thing is many are paying "cash" for their homes. These people certainly will not bring down a neighborhood.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:48 AM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
Quote:
easier said than done.
When you have enough of section 8 trash and other quality of life issues and your concerns keep falling on deaf ears you have no choice but to flee.
This is exactly what happened when I lived in Wissinoming. It got so bad I had no other choice but to move.

I always tell people who whine in Manayunk about the college renters and yuppies that they could have it far far worse. Given the choice I'd rather have 20 somethings puking on sidewalks than violent crime increasing.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
give it time. they said the same thing about Mayfair several years ago and now look at it.
Rawhurst is right next door and is turning into a crap hole.
fox chase isn't experiencing the same declines in income or relative home prices that have afflicated other neighborhoods. I don't know why exactly. still, you talk about mayfair like it's awful. we have friends who live there and it's still fine...maybe not perfect but certainly not worthy of "now look at it" asif that was supposed to mean how awful it is. in all likelihood these dated, ugly parts of the city will continue to be a choice of last resort unless the schools are fixed. fox chase looks a lot more like roxborough than it does mayfair

Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Given the choice I'd rather have 20 somethings puking on sidewalks than violent crime increasing.
It's good to have options

Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
My sister in law lives in Rawnhurst and its trash that's moving in her block. Section 8 tenants across the street as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
A lot of Chinese are moving into Rhawnhurst and the amazing thing is many are paying "cash" for their homes. These people certainly will not bring down a neighborhood.
I've noticed this as well some parts of rhawnhurst are still really nice. Those chinese families have money and are investing in the area which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
fox chase isn't experiencing the same declines in income or relative home prices that have afflicated other neighborhoods. I don't know why exactly. still, you talk about mayfair like it's awful. we have friends who live there and it's still fine...maybe not perfect but certainly not worthy of "now look at it" asif that was supposed to mean how awful it is. in all likelihood these dated, ugly parts of the city will continue to be a choice of last resort unless the schools are fixed. fox chase looks a lot more like roxborough than it does mayfair
FOX CHASE has a lot going for it the hospital,regional rail,parks and shopping its even walkable in some areas. I was surprised to see the houses near the hospital are declining in value. I guess it has do with the schools. I didnt think those schools are that bad they certain better than some parts of the city. But i guess when jenkintown is right across the border you have to make a choice to go with the better school.

Quote:
My sister in law lives in Rawnhurst and its trash that's moving in her block. Section 8 tenants across the street as well
Rhawnhurst is big some parts are still really nice i haven't see a big decline in rhawnhurst just some areas have seen changes.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post

FOX CHASE has a lot going for it the hospital,regional rail,parks and shopping its even walkable in some areas. I was surprised to see the houses near the hospital are declining in value. I guess it has do with the schools. I didnt think those schools are that bad they certain better than some parts of the city. But i guess when jenkintown is right across the border you have to make a choice to go with the better school.
where is fox chase declining in value? home prices are reasonable, census figures indicate the area's income actually rose. it does have to compete with jenkintown and abington but it also competes with places like bensalem, fox chase probably falls somewhere in the middle. not perfect but a damn sight nicer than bensalem as a place to live.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
where is fox chase declining in value? home prices are reasonable, census figures indicate the area's income actually rose. it does have to compete with jenkintown and abington but it also competes with places like bensalem, fox chase probably falls somewhere in the middle. not perfect but a damn sight nicer than bensalem as a place to live.
I agree with you my brother in law has home in fox chase and its been on the market awhile. Other homes in his area have sold for less than they did in the past few years. But i agree foxchase is a great place to live. I think foxchase should get more good press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia