Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
I agree with you my brother in law has home in fox chase and its been on the market awhile. Other homes in his area have sold for less than they did in the past few years. But i agree foxchase is a great place to live. I think foxchase should get more good press.
I'm not sure there's been any upward movement in jenkintown prices either.home prices might not be a great indicator of neighborhood health given the larger national problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Fox Chase has a regional rail station, great residential architecture and seems to have a strong local community. There is no reason to think it will decline like other areas in the Northeast with bland rowhomes and terrible PT.

These neighborhoods in The Northeast that "declined" were always pretty low-income to begin with-just 100% white.
Fox Chase has a healthy Middle-Class.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM

19 posts, read 24,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
I don't think all section 8 renters are bad, or non-working welfare recipients. And while I do think there should be more affordable housing options, there does need to be a cap on how many of these properties are located in each neighborhood.

On a block of say 20 or 30 homes 5 section 8 or renters is not going to bring the neighborhood down. Also, a mix of socio-economic backgrounds can help build the human capital of a neighborhood. Networking for jobs and a interpersonal support system can be established. None of the populations have to feel threatened if there is a healthy mix in the neighborhood. This way the person who may have been raised in section 8, rental or some other non traditional "home owning" family will be able to learn neighborhood pride, how to care for their home (rental or not) and how to respect neighborly boundaries.
This.

I love off Germantown Ave., outside of the sexy W. Mt. Airy section of town. Sure, my block is mixed. It is Philadelphia, it is what I expect. Do I feel any less safe? Nope. Sure, there are pockets where crime is more prevalent, that happens everywhere.

I will at least say this... At least there are SOME resources in place to help with these issues. From where I moved? Their solution was to give indigent folks $100 and a bus ticket and ship them on to somewhere else.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM

221 posts, read 400,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Fox Chase has a regional rail station, great residential architecture and seems to have a strong local community. There is no reason to think it will decline like other areas in the Northeast with bland rowhomes and terrible PT.

These neighborhoods in The Northeast that "declined" were always pretty low-income to begin with-just 100% white.
Fox Chase is still a great place to live. It's really up to the people in the neighborhood to determine its future. If enough people value living there and want to stay, it should hold strong. Especially with less and less safe, family friendly, and still affordable options in the Lower Northeast. A lot of the cops living here stayed in the neighborhood after they no longer had to be in the city.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:42 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
The same thing happened in Oxford circle, Mayfair, Lawncrest, Wiss and Northwood. Those areas are in a sharp decline which started 15-20 years ago. And its gonna get worse.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:48 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,871 times
not true. Frankford had a stable working-middle class and was not solid white.

Quote:

Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
not true. Frankford had a stable working-middle class and was not solid white.
Frankford's decline is much more similar to Germantown in that industry abandoned the community. It has more to do with deindustrialization and suburban growth than what happened in other Northeast neighborhoods later on in the 1990s-which was mostly just white flight.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,871 times
The major nail in the coffin was the closing of the Sears department store and warehouse plant.
Sears was a big employer. Once that went, the truck yard behind it closed, Canada Dry and other factories closed, not necessarily in Frankford, but employed many from Frankford and surrounding Lawncrest, Cresentville etc.

Quote:
Frankford's decline is much more similar to Germantown in that industry abandoned the community. It has more to do with deindustrialization and suburban growth than what happened in other Northeast neighborhoods later on in the 1990s-which was mostly just white flight.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
Fox Chase is still a great place to live. It's really up to the people in the neighborhood to determine its future. If enough people value living there and want to stay, it should hold strong. Especially with less and less safe, family friendly, and still affordable options in the Lower Northeast. A lot of the cops living here stayed in the neighborhood after they no longer had to be in the city.
I think Fox Chase will remain a good area because St Ce's is a strong parish, and they share a youth sports organization with next door Rockledge.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
A lot of Chinese are moving into Rhawnhurst and the amazing thing is many are paying "cash" for their homes. These people certainly will not bring down a neighborhood.
It's a lot cheaper than New York ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia