U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,281,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post

On a block of say 20 or 30 homes 5 section 8 or renters is not going to bring the neighborhood down. Also, a mix of socio-economic backgrounds can help build the human capital of a neighborhood. Networking for jobs and a interpersonal support system can be established. None of the populations have to feel threatened if there is a healthy mix in the neighborhood. This way the person who may have been raised in section 8, rental or some other non traditional "home owning" family will be able to learn neighborhood pride, how to care for their home (rental or not) and how to respect neighborly boundaries.
Five section 8 "families" on a block is more than enough to ruin it for everybody ... Hell, one or two dirtball families, whether section 8, renting or owning, can bring a block down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 PM

802 posts, read 1,139,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Five section 8 "families" on a block is more than enough to ruin it for everybody ... Hell, one or two dirtball families, whether section 8, renting or owning, can bring a block down.

I agree. The tipping point on my old street was three Section 8 tenants, and the home that turned into a halfway house for addicts across from me.

Before anyone asks, homeowners on the street were not consulted nor did anyone know about a house seemingly zoned residential becoming a rehab center for druggies.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I agree. The tipping point on my old street was three Section 8 tenants, and the home that turned into a halfway house for addicts across from me.

Before anyone asks, homeowners on the street were not consulted nor did anyone know about a house seemingly zoned residential becoming a rehab center for druggies.
Just another example of the government stomping their foot on the neck of the working taxpayer in the name of inclusion ...
"They (section 8 people) to should have the opportunity to live in a good neighborhood they otherwise couldn't afford!" Give me a break.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:12 PM

*too

Old 09-21-2013, 06:20 PM

221 posts, read 320,472 times
Quote:
Just another example of the government stomping their foot on the neck of the working taxpayer in the name of inclusion ...
"They (section 8 people) to should have the opportunity to live in a good neighborhood they otherwise couldn't afford!" Give me a break.
With the schools and city wage tax Philadelphia already has enough going against it to retain solid middle class families. Section 8 isn't helping.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 AM

4,525 posts, read 2,250,673 times
now with the home invasion that happened on the 5200 block of slyvester street a few days ago, it really just shows how bad things have reached in Frankford. I had three friends who lived on that very street with a few more right around the block near the corner where the Irish Kitchen used to be. Shame.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
With the schools and city wage tax Philadelphia already has enough going against it to retain solid middle class families. Section 8 isn't helping.
its a substitute for what had been a much worse policy, public housing. section 8 is better for the city than public housing in a number of ways, not least of which is section 8 isn't confined to the city but also exists in the suburbs

Old 09-23-2013, 06:33 AM

4,525 posts, read 2,250,673 times
yeah well there are a few that paid "cash" for their homes in Northwood and are renting them out as section 8.

Quote:
It's a lot cheaper than New York ...

Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM

6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:

With my experience in Philadelphia, they should be separated. For example, Rittenhouse Square is an extremely weather enclave in the city, I do not want that littered with section 8 tenants. Intermingling them with the middle/upper middle class population has never worked and will never work. You can blame the government for not having more resources for these people, but why add to the problem by bringing them into nice neighborhoods. Its just like that proposed school voucher program, giving more access for poor families to send their kids to top suburban schools. Throwing the problem around does not solve the problem, it just makes it worse. In addition, this city has enough dumpy poor drug filled neighborhoods, lets not change the few nice wealthy ones, or even the middle class ones.

As I said before this city has way to much section 8 housing. That is a problem the city needs to tackle along with many others.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,066,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
With my experience in Philadelphia, they should be separated. For example, Rittenhouse Square is an extremely weather enclave in the city, I do not want that littered with section 8 tenants. Intermingling them with the middle/upper middle class population has never worked and will never work. You can blame the government for not having more resources for these people, but why add to the problem by bringing them into nice neighborhoods. Its just like that proposed school voucher program, giving more access for poor families to send their kids to top suburban schools. Throwing the problem around does not solve the problem, it just makes it worse. In addition, this city has enough dumpy poor drug filled neighborhoods, lets not change the few nice wealthy ones, or even the middle class ones.

As I said before this city has way to much section 8 housing. That is a problem the city needs to tackle along with many others.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe any homeowner anywhere in the city can put their house up for section 8?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia