Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 PM

9,340 posts, read 9,204,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe any homeowner anywhere in the city can put their house up for section 8?
Yes, but the property must be re-zoned to section 8.. The city have to be absolutely nuts to approve that in a nice neighborhood. The tax abatements for homes 500k and more should continue. That has attracted a lot of high income people to the city, mainly in and around center city. The city needs more wealthy people to improve(along with many other factors). Philly needs less section 8 and more high income earners. Hopefully a very large company will eventually relocate here. If NBC had actually moved all operations to the city: thousands of high payed workers relocated, results in new condos, restaurants, retail, less poverty, less crime, more revenue for the city, better schools, etc.

Philadelphia needs to stop bending over for the poor and start doing that more for the wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,786,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes, but the property must be re-zoned to section 8.. The city have to be absolutely nuts to approve that in a nice neighborhood. The tax abatements for homes 500k and more should continue. That has attracted a lot of high income people to the city, mainly in and around center city. The city needs more wealthy people to improve(along with many other factors). Philly needs less section 8 and more high income earners. Hopefully a very large company will eventually relocate here. If NBC had actually moved all operations to the city: thousands of high payed workers relocated, results in new condos, restaurants, retail, less poverty, less crime, more revenue for the city, better schools, etc.

Philadelphia needs to stop bending over for the poor and start doing that more for the wealthy.
Will never happen with liberal Dems at the wheel..

Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,100,739 times
Quote:
As much as my liberal self cringes at this statement, in Philadelphia's case it's the truth. We need their money.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Quote:

section 8 rents are based on area median incomes. rarely do they occur in expensive areas because they generally have higher incomes and section 8 rent payments are less than what they would get on the open market. the reason "working class" neighborhoods are often targets is that prices are low and landlords can pocket the difference between the low cost of housing and the higher rent payments (since the area is probably based on something like zip codes or municipalities) pocketing the difference.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM

802 posts, read 1,315,426 times
Quote:

I agree with this. The city needs more upper middle & upper income residents but don't tell that to the people living in Point Breeze. They seem to be vehemently against gentrification.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,513,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
yeah well there are a few that paid "cash" for their homes in Northwood and are renting them out as section 8.
They do it all over NE Philly, too.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:52 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,513,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
section 8 rents are based on area median incomes. rarely do they occur in expensive areas because they generally have higher incomes and section 8 rent payments are less than what they would get on the open market. the reason "working class" neighborhoods are often targets is that prices are low and landlords can pocket the difference between the low cost of housing and the higher rent payments (since the area is probably based on something like zip codes or municipalities) pocketing the difference.
The building near 11th and Locust, where the guy was murdered, chopped up and thrown in the river by the prostitutes and pimp, has a lot of section 8 in it.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM

56 posts, read 71,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
A lot of Chinese are moving into Rhawnhurst and the amazing thing is many are paying "cash" for their homes. These people certainly will not bring down a neighborhood.

Ha!, that's a laugh.

Please, go to South Philly and check out who dominates the absolutely worst pockets....Asians.

It's amazing, everyone complains about Mexicans living in this country, but Mexicans turned the dead south of Washington blocks of the Italian Market into a thriving area, the businesses they own have an obvious pride and cost some $$$ to set up.

Look at the Asian stores on 9th Street, dumps, looks worse than a flea market. No pride, no investment into making it nice.

And that's how they treat their residences too. They have a lot of money, because they only spend it to make more, never on making a neighborhood more appealing. Oh yes, they love to own Section 8's.

I own a 2 apartment converted storefront Passyunk Square investment, next door to another investment property owned by a team of, well I'll let you guess. I rehabbed my property, made it very urban modern to get high rents. But there are always complaints from my tenants about next door. I have spoken with the owner dozens of times, he pretends as if he doesn't understand. His building looks like crap, is filled with dirtballs, he does nothing and could care less about the neighbors. In other words, slumlord. I called for months asking him to paint over graffiti on a side door right next to the front door of my property. Nothing was done. Guess who had to paint the door? Why does one of MY tenants have to take the initiative to pull the 3 foot high weeds that grow between the cracks of his property when she gets sick of looking at them? I'd like to paint the whole front of the dump. I wonder if he'd notice?

Chinese coming in and buying properties cash is surly not a good sign.

BTW Larry, read all the posts on this thread, you have all the hits (pardon the pun). I like your line of thinking.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 10-02-2013 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
The building near 11th and Locust, where the guy was murdered, chopped up and thrown in the river by the prostitutes and pimp, has a lot of section 8 in it.
yep, and it's been there since the neighborhood was undesirable. when and if that property changes hands, you will see market rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post
Ha!, that's a laugh.

Please, go to South Philly and check out who dominates the absolutely worst pockets....Asians.
this isn't true at all.

Quote:
It's amazing, everyone complains about Mexicans living in this country, but Mexicans turned the dead south of Washington blocks of the Italian Market into a thriving area, the businesses they own have an obvious pride and cost some $$$ to set up.

Look at the Asian stores on 9th Street, dumps, looks worse than a flea market. No pride, no investment into making it nice.
really, I've eaten at some very good asian restaurants in and around the Italian market..and yes, some are even "nice." I'm with you on mexicans, from a philly perspective, they get a undeserved rap. I'd also point out that Philadelphia's largest slumlod who operated out of port richmond (robert Coyle) is white.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 PM

4,761 posts, read 3,257,291 times
Quote:
Ha!, that's a laugh.

And that's how they treat their residences too. They have a lot of money, because they only spend it to make more, never on making a neighborhood more appealing. Oh yes, they love to own Section 8's.

I own a 2 apartment converted storefront Passyunk Square investment, next door to another investment property owned by a team of, well I'll let you guess. I rehabbed my property, made it very urban modern to get high rents. But there are always complaints from my tenants about next door. I have spoken with the owner dozens of times, he pretends as if he doesn't understand. His building looks like crap, is filled with dirtballs, he does nothing and could care less about the neighbors. In other words, slumlord. I called for months asking him to paint over graffiti on a side door right next to the front door of my property. Nothing was done. Guess who had to paint the door? Why does one of MY tenants have to take the initiative to pull the 3 foot high weeds that grow between the cracks of his property when she gets sick of looking at them? I'd like to paint the whole front of the dump. I wonder if he'd notice?

Chinese coming in and buying properties cash is surly not a good sign.

BTW Larry, read all the posts on this thread, you have all the hits (pardon the pun). I like your line of thinking.

Asians in South Philly are mostly Vietnamese, Cambodian and Indonesian. Not a whole lot of Chinese or Korean. Just curious, what do you think of Chinatown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia