U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2013, 12:18 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
5 posts, read 3,488 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

It's usually about $15.00 for an entree (any of them, and I don't find Pad Thai to be that amazing or exotic, while delicious) at any of several Thai restaurants in Media, Havertown, Ridley, West Chester, Glen Mills, Springfield, Newtown Square, Ardmore, or a number of other places. I do recall reading somewhere that Thai restaurants are aimed at folks with higher incomes, but I don't remember the rest of that article or its reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,377 posts, read 2,696,447 times
Reputation: 1492
sa bai dee thai & laos cuisine upper darby
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sa+Ba...m&z=16&iwloc=A

You will get Pad Thai for $8 that blows away anything we've had in philly yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 04:49 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieGoesToExtremes View Post
It's usually about $15.00 for an entree (any of them, and I don't find Pad Thai to be that amazing or exotic, while delicious) at any of several Thai restaurants in Media, Havertown, Ridley, West Chester, Glen Mills, Springfield, Newtown Square, Ardmore, or a number of other places. I do recall reading somewhere that Thai restaurants are aimed at folks with higher incomes, but I don't remember the rest of that article or its reasoning.
I think the problem is where you're looking, more than the cuisine itself. That said, Thai tends to be more upscale-oriented in these parts (compared to, say, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese, which can run the gamut from hole-in-the-wall to super-gourmet).

MikeNigh's suggestion sounds as good as any (I'd offer something additional, but I'm not a huge Thai afficionado).

If you're interested in something exotic, though, I highly recommend Rangoon in Chinatown. It's Burmese cuisine, which is basically a cross between Thai and Indian, and, while not cheap, is very fairly priced in my opinion. Splitting appetizers and an entree or two between a group of four shouldn't set you back more than $15 per person.

http://www.rangoonrestaurant.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
Reputation: 2051
It's true that Thai food in the Philly area for whatever reason has generally been a bit more upscale/expensive vs other Asian cuisines. It's only remarkable since Thai food tends to be really cheap in many other places.
I always wondered about the history of this. What was it about how Thai cuisine was introduced to the Philly area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
5 posts, read 3,488 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks all! I also meant to mention Thai restaurants in Chestnut Hill (Northwest Philadelphia) and on the waterfront/riverfront in Wilmington DE fit the "expensive" description. The Wilmington one was no bargain despite being in a state with lower taxes than PA. Years ago I ate Thai in West Virginia and should have compared prices there but I didn't.

Upper Darby is a dump... I stay far away from that city to begin with, and don't ever plan to go back. I've traveled all over the world and UD has been the ugliest and most dangerous place I've ever been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,632 posts, read 12,795,075 times
Reputation: 15763
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
sa bai dee thai & laos cuisine upper darby
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sa+Ba...m&z=16&iwloc=A

You will get Pad Thai for $8 that blows away anything we've had in philly yet.
Thanks for the heads up.

I know that little shopping center and as I live in West Philly I find myself shopping in H-Mart about once a month. There is a great little Asian food court up the escalator from H-Mart on the second floor.

I love Thai food and I've been to Thailand four times. I find most Thai restaurants in Philly mediocre, but I heard there is one on Main Street in Manayunk that's very good. Gotta try it.

The cheap little place in Reading Terminal Market called Little Thai Market is pretty good - not great - but very very popular with the lunch crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
5 posts, read 3,488 times
Reputation: 10
I've ordered Pad Thai at two Chinese restaurants in the past year: one in Media PA and one in Collingswood NJ, and it was awful at both, but that makes sense. Thai, Chinese, and Japanese cuisines are all like apples and oranges compared to one another. Don't know much at all about Korean cuisine myself, but I ate at a Vietnamese restaurant once in West Chester and all that was familiar to me on the menu was fried rice, and iced coffee very similar to the Thai variety. Giant sells microwavable peanut noodle kits that would seem to be Thai but are either Malaysian or Indonesian, I can't remember which.

There's a Thai restaurant in Cherry Hill on 70 which is identified as Thai "French", as is La Na in Media, but nothing seems French about either restaurant except for the creme brulee, which seems to be a staple of Thai restaurants, as is fried ice cream, even though that seems to have been introduced to the USA via Mexican restaurants. Matter of fact I think Chi-Chi's may have invented fried ice cream.

Apparently Goya coconut water is a product of Thailand, even though Goya is a Secaucus NJ company specializing in Hispanic foods. Speaking of Goya, why might it be that Acme stores almost all have Goya paella, but Giant stores never do, even though they have other Goya rice boxes?

Other than H Mart, what might be the nicest Asian supermarket in the Philly area? I love Oregon Market in South Philly, but there also is a wonderful market that I forget the name of, on the basement level of a building in Chinatown. There's a Chinese supermarket at Rising Sun Plaza in North Philly that used to be called Hong Kong Supermarket but is now Farmer's Best Supermarket, and was an Acme years ago. The old Pathmark on Whitaker nearby is now a Vietnamese store called Ben City Supermarket. There also are at least two Korean markets in Cheltenham on Cheltenham Ave, and Cherry Hill has at least one Asian market on 38 near Cherry Hill Mall. I was very surprised (though in a good way) to find an Asian supermarket in Pleasantville NJ, as well as in North Wales. Pleasantville is more diverse than your average small town in South Jersey, but I thought Puerto Ricans were the only sizable minority there until I found the Asian store.

The two Super Fresh stores in Center City, at 5th and Pine and on South Street at 10th, have Goya sugarcane juice by the can, next to the coconut water. Would that be impossible to find in the suburbs? I've only seen it at those two particular stores and nowhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,377 posts, read 2,696,447 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieGoesToExtremes View Post
Upper Darby is a dump... I stay far away from that city to begin with, and don't ever plan to go back. I've traveled all over the world and UD has been the ugliest and most dangerous place I've ever been.
Upper Darby may be a little offsetting. Particularly west chester pike itself is ugly. However around 69th station and east is still an authentic asian/indian town but I'm pretty sure they are starting to move out as black people are moving in. Asian flight? That area is not dangerous though. And ya every time we're there we get some food from H-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 AM
 
581 posts, read 1,243,955 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieGoesToExtremes View Post
I've ordered Pad Thai at two Chinese restaurants in the past year: one in Media PA and one in Collingswood NJ, and it was awful at both, but that makes sense. Thai, Chinese, and Japanese cuisines are all like apples and oranges compared to one another. Don't know much at all about Korean cuisine myself, but I ate at a Vietnamese restaurant once in West Chester and all that was familiar to me on the menu was fried rice, and iced coffee very similar to the Thai variety. Giant sells microwavable peanut noodle kits that would seem to be Thai but are either Malaysian or Indonesian, I can't remember which.
There is a Thai place in Collingswood that is good ... but it's not cheap.

I was in San Fran a few years back and stumbled across a whole in the wall Thai place (primarily just noodle dishes). For $5 (!), I got a huge bowl of Pad Thai (too much to even eat). I always wish for a place like that to open up in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,166 posts, read 1,298,067 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieGoesToExtremes View Post
Thanks all! I also meant to mention Thai restaurants in Chestnut Hill (Northwest Philadelphia) and on the waterfront/riverfront in Wilmington DE fit the "expensive" description. The Wilmington one was no bargain despite being in a state with lower taxes than PA. Years ago I ate Thai in West Virginia and should have compared prices there but I didn't.

Upper Darby is a dump... I stay far away from that city to begin with, and don't ever plan to go back. I've traveled all over the world and UD has been the ugliest and most dangerous place I've ever been.
Sa-Bai-Dee is right next to H-Mart. I've been meaning to go there for the longest time because it looks pretty good. The area isn't bad at all! I do the majority of my grocery shopping there, so I frequent often. It is only a few minutes walk away from 69th street station on the main road. No big deal whatsoever.

Having said that... the Thai in Philadelphia doesn't seem to be too high quality, especially for the price... so I just make my own stuff. I can make batches of curry paste that will make me numerous pots of various thai curries for much less than what I can get for one tiny bowl at a restaurant - not to mention much more delicious. The Korean here isn't very good either... even the places some people rave about, although there is a new place I tried out two days ago called "U-Town" that had pretty good kimchi! The only problem was you had to pay 1.50 for a refill on it... hopefully they change that someday. Banchan should be free and unlimited! They had nice pickled radish too, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top