Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM

127 posts, read 293,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
It isn't the miles, it's the traffic. Lancastor av, City Av, Roosevelt expy, the boulevard equals 22 miles of start and stop. It used to take me 35 minutes to get to the YMCA in downtown Ardmore from west Center City and not during rush hour.
Hey! That's my gym! Excited for the brand spanking new one opening in Havertown. As for the Y in Abington, everyone there is extremely friendly and it's a bit larger than Ardmore's.

Aside, the turnpike east in the mornings, west in the afternoon commute generally is perfectly clear. Friday afternoons can be a different story.

River/MLK Drive is a good way to avoid 76.

Last edited by krayzbone227; 09-25-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzbone227 View Post
Hey! That's my gym! Excited for the brand spanking new one opening in Havertown. As for the Y in Abington, everyone there is extremely friendly and it's a bit larger than Ardmore's.

Aside, the turnpike east in the mornings, west in the afternoon commute generally is perfectly clear. Friday afternoons can be a different story.

River/MLK Drive is a good way to avoid 76.

I didn't use Ardmore that often. It was too hard to get there with the traffic.The y in Abington sucks so bad (too small and crowded) I can't use it. When I moved here I had to join LA fitness in Glenside. Once in a while I drive to Rocky Run which is like an indoor water park. I guess Havertown will be the same. The Northeast Family Y on Knights Rd also has a great pool.

But I am confused. Between Ardmore and Southampton, what are you doing on the turnpike?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post

I didn't use Ardmore that often. It was too hard to get there with the traffic.The y in Abington sucks so bad (too small and crowded) I can't use it. When I moved here I had to join LA fitness in Glenside. Once in a while I drive to Rocky Run which is like an indoor water park. I guess Havertown will be the same. The Northeast Family Y on Knights Rd also has a great pool.

But I am confused. Between Ardmore and Southampton, what are you doing on the turnpike?
The Abington Y is at least larger than Ardmore's and the cardio room offers more. I initially checked out that LA Fitness before joining the Y and the pushy salesmanship (and overall warehouse feel) along with the friendliness at the Y made the decision easy. Not to mention I signed up at the Y in west Philly for the lowest signup fee.

Montgomery>476>Turnpike>sometimes playing with Bristol Rd. is significantly quicker than any other route I've come across. While "back roads" might be more reliable, they're consistently slower. Rte 1 is very nearly always a bad idea for several reasons.I used to take back roads from Wyndmoor to Southampton, though, which was a much better deal (via Church and Meetinghouse or Rices Mill and Valley)

Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM

22 posts, read 46,015 times
Does anyone know about "Inman Terrace" in Willow Grove?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1769 View Post
Does anyone know about "Inman Terrace" in Willow Grove?
You've got plenty of shopping nearby, a small movie theater in Jenkintown and another in Warrington 15 minutes away, a very nice Giant supermarket and the nearby Septa station is about a 45 min. ride to center city for him.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM

22 posts, read 46,015 times
So it's a nice area? He can't take Septa, it won't get him to his work- he has to drive. Google Maps says it's 22.3 miles/40 minutes for the 611 route

Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Nice area. Not Jewy, though not Judenrein either (Upper Moreland Township/Schools are about 5%, maybe trending slightly upward due to in-migration of Russian Jews from the Far Northeast), but close to super-Jewy Lower Moreland (close to 1/3) and moderately Jewy Abington (~10%, but overwhelmingly concentrated East of 611).

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1769 View Post
So it's a nice area? He can't take Septa, it won't get him to his work- he has to drive. Google Maps says it's 22.3 miles/40 minutes for the 611 route
I'm sure that's 40 minutes not in traffic. As a major thoroughfare with many lights it can take a while longer, and won't necessarily get much better as he'd drive through the Temple area.

I'm not sure if there's a direction of Old York Rd (611) worse than the other during commutes to compare each of your commutes living in Willow Grove vs. for example Elkins Park (I think living in Willow Grove is a better bit in terms of lifestyle, though). It's a game of tradeoffs.

ps It seems that property tax is better in Willow Grove than Glenside, too.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The Abington Y is at least larger than Ardmore's and the cardio room offers more. I initially checked out that LA Fitness before joining the Y and the pushy salesmanship (and overall warehouse feel) along with the friendliness at the Y made the decision easy. Not to mention I signed up at the Y in west Philly for the lowest signup fee.
I am only interested in the pool. The Abington pool is so small it is often not even available.

LA Fitness pool is much better and a single is half the price of the Y, although I am now silver sneakers so it's free.. The Y being free doesn't do me any good if I can't use it when I want. LA Fitness gets too many HS kids after lunch, locker room crowds. None is ideal but the NE Y is my favorite when I have time for the 20 minute trip. As for the Blue Rt and the Turnpike, my 1st reaction is OMG.. Looking again maybe it's not so bad. I guess you can get used to anything.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
It's a game of tradeoffs.

ps It seems that property tax is better in Willow Grove than Glenside, too.
Depends on the house. Glenside could be Abington, Cheltenham or even Springfield.
Willow Grove could be Abington or Lower Moreland. All four towns are good SD's and pretty high taxes. Only problem with Willow Grove is it's a little bit downscale (but it's only an attitude) and yes it's a little further from S Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia